Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rough ride

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

rough ride

My car seems to have a pretty rough ride like over train tracks and even just bumps in the road. My dad thinks its just the nature of the beast, as is sport tuned suspension, but i don't remember my other TA feeling so bumpy. I'm planning on doing some suspension upgrades but i guess what i want to know is if its the shocks, the springs, or both? What would be first to try first cause money is kind of an issue, which would give me the most improvement? Along with that i know most aftermarket springs and stuff are offered with drops, is there any handling or launching difference in a lowered setup or is it just for looks? Appreciate in the input guys!

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    My car seems to have a pretty rough ride like over train tracks and even just bumps in the road. My dad thinks its just the nature of the beast, as is sport tuned suspension, but i don't remember my other TA feeling so bumpy. I'm planning on doing some suspension upgrades but i guess what i want to know is if its the shocks, the springs, or both? What would be first to try first cause money is kind of an issue, which would give me the most improvement? Along with that i know most aftermarket springs and stuff are offered with drops, is there any handling or launching difference in a lowered setup or is it just for looks? Appreciate in the input guys!
    lowered cars do not launch as good.. its for looks... drag bags will help you launch better.. im not a suspension guy by ANY means... hope that helped some..

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

yeah thanks for the info about lowering. now i just need to figure out if i should change the springs or the shocks

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Shocks will make the best improvement. If the car has higher miles they might be worn out.

White
    2001 Z28

Shocks. They are the problem, not the springs. If you want springs, that's fine, but lowering and stiffening the car won't help your ride *ESPECIALLY* if you leave the same shocks on it that are responsible for the mess you feel now.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

great thanks guys, any cheaper but good recomendations strano

White with Black Stripe
    1995 Trans Am

yeah i have the same problem

I'd also like to know some cheaper shocks that are good. I don't have the cash for Koni's

NBM M6
    2000 SS

I see what da problem is!!!!!!!!! We both live in Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!! Our streets have got to be the worst in the nation. Pot holes, uneven streets, 3 to 4 speed bumps down every freakin street.

Chicago streets sux. Its not the car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

its true they are the worst streets in the nation as well as construction, and for that purpose alone we need outstanding suspension! This might be the one thnig we need not skimp on.

White
    2001 Z28

You guys kill me....

Did I even mention the word Koni? No.... but you all assume that's what I was going to say. They are an option, and a rocking one. But if you want competent dampers those exist for less too. The Bilstein's I sell are $369.50 for a set of 4. Tokico's are $375 for the set of 4. See what I mean?

Cheaper alternatives might be nice, but you don't have any. The shocks are the biggest issue by far. Changing to stiffer springs, or control arms, or bigger bars won't help. You know the saying "it's the economy, stupid"? Well...... just slip "shocks" in place of "economy".

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

yeah there is no way i would be able to afford those 100 to 200+ per shock setup, no shock is worth that to me unless it comes with a free reach around. Bilsteins i think might be the way to go.

White
    2001 Z28

That's not a very open minded statement. If you don't want them, that's fine. But to say that no shock is worth that when you haven't experienced the difference is a pretty narrow minded statement. If they weren't any good, you can bet those that have them would tell you just how much the like them.

They are for folks serious about the car's suspension. Like any option you tend to get what you pay for.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

yeah there is no way i would be able to afford those 100 to 200+ per shock setup, no shock is worth that to me unless it comes with a free reach around. Bilsteins i think might be the way to go.
    if its not worth it.. keep what you have now..

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

My bike shock costs min 400. Add an extra 200 for a titanium spring and can go up from there. 100-200 for a car is nothing really.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

easy easy guys, its just cause i don't understand is why there not worth it. I'm one of those guys how can only afford the step above the bottom of the barrel. I would love to afford 800 worth of shocks but i can't. So for ME bilsteins are the only option. If someone wants to take me fora ride in car with those extremely expensive shocks to show me the difference then i might consider them. By the way i was trying to be funny, i know there are some people out there who might share the same opinion, or anyone frugal for that matter.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Another option to consider when dealing with shocks, though this is by no means the best option. I was wanting new shocks for the car, and I am about to put a 9" in the car. Since I was going to take half of the rear shocks off anyways I might as well replace whem with some Koni's. It is much cheaper to buy them like this and they are still lifetime shocks. Eventually I will be getting the fronts when I have more cash at my disposal, but for now I at least have the backs and it has helped the ride (wheel hop has disappeared).

Blue
    1984 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    lowered cars do not launch as good.. its for looks... drag bags will help you launch better.. im not a suspension guy by ANY means... hope that helped some..
    Entirely not the case...

Even my street Camaro, which is at least as stiff as a road race car will outlaunch a stock height one on street tires.

It's the parts, tires, and driving that gives you a good launch, not just having a stock (or god forbid - higher) ride height.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
    Entirely not the case...

Even my street Camaro, which is at least as stiff as a road race car will outlaunch a stock height one on street tires.

It's the parts, tires, and driving that gives you a good launch, not just having a stock (or god forbid - higher) ride height.
    my bad.... 28 inch tires.. at the track... no other suspension.... lowering it will hurt your 60... not saying your lowered car doesnt have a better 60 than some cars... but if you had a drag setup or stock setup it would launch better.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Would you guys recommend using different manufacturer's for front and rear or sticking to one setup? I understand for a more specific function like drag racing or road racing, but i am more interested in a all around DD. Why is it that fronts cost more than their rear counter parts? I was looking at the Edelbrock IAS for the rear and KYB adjustable for the front, but if its best to keep with the same type i can work around that.

White
    2001 Z28

I sell the following brands: Koni, KYB, Bilstein, Edelbrock, Tokico (and a few others that I really don't like such as Monroe and QA1).

I'm a site sponsor. I carry more vareity of brands than most anyone else, and I know how *these cars* work. I can also talk to you about the diffences between the various brands, and you'll know I'm not spinning one because I can't sell you the other.

Fronts cost more because they are bigger, and have more parts like the spring perch.

Mixing an matching shocks isn't wise. You get two different philosophies at two different ends of the car.

I would invite you, and strongly recommend for you to pick up the phone and call me. I believe you'll get your questions answered, and I might as a few of my own to make sure I recommend what I think it best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information