View Poll Results: Seafoam a good or bad idea???

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its a bad idea.

16 17.98%
  • No, it works great!

73 82.02%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Use a good engine oil only idiots who neglect their maintenance need this stuff to make them selves feel better

Yeah OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Respectfully, most of us have bought these vehicles used, and we don't always know how the previous owners treated them. A good cleaning may be warranted. Of course going forward we treat them with loving care...
    Not to mention the Shit Ass PVC system that Most Never modify to stop from sucking oil through the motor on a regular basis. . . . . . . . But I guess that doesn't matter if it's "good" oil right? Then it doesn't cause build up on the piston face or cause the rings to stick. . . . . . . . .
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

SOM
    2002 SS

I would rather do that then pour piss in my motor because it makes it smoke. Just because your pouring chemical cleaner in there doesn't mean you aren't harming everything else In your motor. One instance of detonation from pouring that snake oil in there and much more harm than good and for me not worth the risk. I've seen motors taken apart with up to 1.2 million miles and they're clean inside. No need for gimmicks and relying on people to fall for bs advertising to make a buck.

If your motor is THAT dirty inside go get a real tune or fix why you Are getting carbon buildup in the first place.

LOL point proven my rear end. By whom an Internet expert ?? Most if you are all the same people who bought slick 50, tried an airfoil and used splitfire plugs when they came out. Oh wait I best most are buying iridium now ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Respectfully, most of us have bought these vehicles used, and we don't always know how the previous owners treated them. A good cleaning may be warranted. Of course going forward we treat them with loving care...
    The least you can do is be thankful the previous owners didn't pour piss through the vacuum line into the motor. I would NEVeR purchase a vehicle that had had seakrap through it.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

If your motor is THAT dirty inside go get a real tune or fix why you Are getting carbon buildup in the first place.

Because LS motors don't use a PCV Valve they have a hose that sucks oil mist from the lifter valley through the throttle body and through the intake into the combustion chamber. Burning that oil Non Stop over the years will cause Unwanted build up regardless. You can take a stocker and do a compression test then SeaFoam and do it again and it will have increased cylinder pressure due to freeing up the ring packs that were all gummed up with burnt oil.
    I speak of personal knowledge Not some hokis pokis;
    I build cars and engines for a living and have for over a decade now.

And your latest comment . . . . . How the hell you think you would know??? LOL
    I SeaFoamed that high 13 second car you got NOW!

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I SeaFoamed that high 13 second car you got NOW!

LMAO !!!

On a joking note (really) , perhaps seafoam helps the business ??

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

where exactly do u enter this stuff into the motor?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Usually suck it through the vacuum hose going to the brake booster.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    where exactly do u enter this stuff into the motor?
    Brake booster
    Oil
    Fuel

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I would rather do that then pour piss in my motor because it makes it smoke. Just because your pouring chemical cleaner in there doesn't mean you aren't harming everything else In your motor. One instance of detonation from pouring that snake oil in there and much more harm than good and for me not worth the risk. I've seen motors taken apart with up to 1.2 million miles and they're clean inside. No need for gimmicks and relying on people to fall for bs advertising to make a buck.

LOL point proven my rear end. By whom an Internet expert ?? Most if you are all the same people who bought slick 50, tried an airfoil and used splitfire plugs when they came out. Oh wait I best most are buying iridium now ...
    I respect your opinion but I disagree with you This isn't a snake oil like many would believe, Ive ran it in both my cars at this time (4 total) and had no problems. Does it help....I think so since I did it right before my H/C build and my motor was spotless, but is it the best ever.....I can't argue

Dark blue/ Green
    02 ss 35th/99 z28 camaros

I work at autozone and some pepole only buy it and live by it i have used it and it works

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Getting a tune may prevent further buildup, but I'm pretty sure it will not remove the carbon that is already there.

Do you get off on being assy to us poor noobs? I guess you were born knowing everythign about cars? Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us, but why don't you try sharing it in a more friendly, professional manner? Pretend for a moment that you were NOT, in fact, born knowing everything... thanks...

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

The least you can do is be thankful the previous owners didn't pour piss through the vacuum line into the motor. I would NEVeR purchase a vehicle that had had seakrap through it.
    And you call me/us internet experts right? Do you have any facts to support your position that I am an idiot for putting piss into my car? Seriously, I am here to learn...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I've used it and feel it was beneficial, but I still cannot bring myself to add it to the oil. Vacuum line and gas, okay, but I just can't see it as an oil additive I'll use.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I've used it and feel it was beneficial, but I still cannot bring myself to add it to the oil. Vacuum line and gas, okay, but I just can't see it as an oil additive I'll use.
    Yeah I have seen some folks say that it thins out your oil and can lower its effectiveness for the duration. I didn't read those opinions until after I had done it, however.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It is a lubricant.
    But given that, you DO NOT want to leave it in the oil for long. I use it, but drive no more than 25 miles with it in the oil.
    When I use seafoam, I use an entire can throughout the motor.
    1/3 in the oil before an oil change.
    1/3 in the fuel before a fill up.
    1/3 in the brake booster right before the oil change.

That said....why in the hell is this thread back around anyways?? This was started a while back.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I have a '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS. It has a crappy 2.0 4cyl in it. The thing burns oil like there's no tomorrow. I have to add a quart a week. The car itself has 243,000 miles on it but the engine is a replacement. I've put about 30,000 on this engine, but my uncle got it used and I have no clue how many miles were on it before. I think I have a stuck lifter. I know something in it is ticking. I'm in the process of fixing my T/A and it should be ready to go soon. After that, I'm planning on rebuilding the engine in the Eclipse and then probably selling it. Would it be safe to use seafoam or that AutoRX stuff on that engine right now to hold me over until I get my T/A done or would it completely disintegrate the remaining stuff in my gaskets?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    I have a '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS. It has a crappy 2.0 4cyl in it. The thing burns oil like there's no tomorrow. I have to add a quart a week. The car itself has 243,000 miles on it but the engine is a replacement. I've put about 30,000 on this engine, but my uncle got it used and I have no clue how many miles were on it before. I think I have a stuck lifter. I know something in it is ticking. I'm in the process of fixing my T/A and it should be ready to go soon. After that, I'm planning on rebuilding the engine in the Eclipse and then probably selling it. Would it be safe to use seafoam or that AutoRX stuff on that engine right now to hold me over until I get my T/A done or would it completely disintegrate the remaining stuff in my gaskets?
    If I am not mistaken....Seafoam isn't recommended for a motor with over 80K on it.
    Although, my 2001 Grand Ma GT is at 125K and I still use it once a year.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    If I am not mistaken....Seafoam isn't recommended for a motor with over 80K on it.
    Although, my 2001 Grand Ma GT is at 125K and I still use it once a year.
    Well is there anything else that I can run to clean the thing out? And why shouldnt you run it on engines with more than 80k miles?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    Well is there anything else that I can run to clean the thing out? And why shouldnt you run it on engines with more than 80k miles?
    autoRX

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    autoRX
    Not disagreeing....but have you used it?
    No experience with it personally, but I would assume the reasons why people say not to use Seafoam or change to synthetic oil after a certain amount of miles would apply to AutoRX.
    To be clear, this is NOT a knock on aforemetioned product.

Seafoam cleans EVERYTHING.
    Similar reason to why some say not to switch over to synthetic after a certain amount of miles.
    Just in case.....at least as far as my opinion goes.......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information