Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    check out the mustang forums there are multiple stories of guys beating ls1s
    Quote Originally Posted by axxdet View Post
    smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    it was kind of funny though..

Sorry, but its true. Lets not get ls1 elitist now, mustangs can be good when built right as can ls1s. (hope I don't get shot)

The s197s are pretty good with just boltons. (a 93 mail-in-tune with an intake usually gives about 20-30rwhp) I was an avid fan of S197s for about a year and was about to buy one but I got swayed to the side of the LS1 :]

pewter
    2002 firehawk

Sorry, but its true. Lets not get ls1 elitist now, mustangs can be good when built right as can ls1s. (hope I don't get shot)

The s197s are pretty good with just boltons. (a 93 mail-in-tune with an intake usually gives about 20-30rwhp) I was an avid fan of S197s for about a year and was about to buy one but I got swayed to the side of the LS1 :]
    it's all good, I'm just standing by a LS1 saying that stock for stock they can't match, and I feel that there cheaper to get into and mod....

White
    1999 Transam WS6

it's all good, I'm just standing by a LS1 saying that stock for stock they can't match, and I feel that there cheaper to get into and mod....

The problem that I've seen from lurking the mustang forums for years is to gain like close to 400+ rwhp you almost always need to invest in some sort of forced induction. Their engine themselves don't see as big of gains as ours do from cams and that sort of things. They also seem harder for a garage monkey to do engine work, most people that ask about cams are told they need them professionally installed all in all with the cams and install you're looking at close to 1.5k or so for just like a 20-30hp gain if even that with a loss in low end torque. Our cars can easily see 400 with just cams and supporting mods, but MOST s197's pushing 400+ have either a supercharger or turbo.

I personally like the feeling and the idea of pushing that power with just an engine.

From what I've heard though, mustangs do sound better. :/

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    little to no optioned Z/28
    1LE right? Isnt that what are called?

pewter
    2002 firehawk

The problem that I've seen from lurking the mustang forums for years is to gain like close to 400+ rwhp you almost always need to invest in some sort of forced induction. Their engine themselves don't see as big of gains as ours do from cams and that sort of things. They also seem harder for a garage monkey to do engine work, most people that ask about cams are told they need them professionally installed all in all with the cams and install you're looking at close to 1.5k or so for just like a 20-30hp gain if even that with a loss in low end torque. Our cars can easily see 400 with just cams and supporting mods, but MOST s197's pushing 400+ have either a supercharger or turbo.

I personally like the feeling and the idea of pushing that power with just an engine.

From what I've heard though, mustangs do sound better. :/
    good enfo...LS1 all the way...don't look back.. you might see the finger

silver
    2002 ws6

ls1 for the win.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by wnmech View Post
    thanks for the input guys. It seems by the times sinister-TA posted they are both quick. Yes they are both on my insurance policy. I have the big insurance monthly bill to prove it. Like most of you guys said I do feel my old formula might be quicker. I really hope they dont actually want to prove who is right or wrong.
    if you put your name and their name on the title.. which is very easy.. your insurance company should put you down as primary driver... with full coverage the monthly payment will be what YOU would pay but they can both drive the car.. thats how i do it.

good enfo...LS1 all the way...don't look back.. you might see the finger
    haha

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

I am sure there have been many discussions on which is quickest. My youngest daughter has my 01 LS1 formula bone stock except flowmasters. My oldest just bought and 08 mustang GT both are automatics. They were wanting to race each other to see which is the quickest. This is not going to happen hopefully. Does anyone have any good knowlege which is quickest. I have driven both and I cant tell. Your input may save a couple of speeding tickets. Thanks
    Well, you know what answers your going to get on an LS1 site. But being an owner of an S197, and I have also driven em both, I believe in the 1/4, the LS1 should be about 1 to 2 tenths quicker with the same drivers,conditions, etc.... That's in a perfect world. The reason you can't tell is because they're too close bone stock until after you start getting deep above 100mph, then the LS1 should start pulling harder. Overall, I'd say they'll both give you a heck of a thrill on a 1/4 mile stretch. You can't go wrong either way, IMO. Both can be made insanely fast.
    Last edited by Camarofan; 07-30-2008 at 03:53 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    1LE right? Isnt that what are called?
    no i dont believe so..i think 1le stands for limited edition....

the very light z28s are known as stripper Zs

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    no i dont believe so..i think 1le stands for limited edition....

the very light z28s are known as stripper Zs
    The 1LE did not stand for "limited edition" and was in fact a "stripped down" Camaro. Rather than explain it, here ya go...

http://ve3eie.ncf.ca/1le_history.html

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Camarofan View Post
    Well, you know what answers your going to get on an LS1 site. But being an owner of an S197, and I have also driven em both, I believe in the 1/4, the LS1 should be about 1 to 2 tenths quicker with the same drivers,conditions, etc.... That's in a perfect world. The reason you can't tell is because they're too close bone stock until after you start getting deep above 100mph, then the LS1 should start pulling harder. Overall, I'd say they'll both give you a heck of a thrill on a 1/4 mile stretch. You can't go wrong either way, IMO. Both can be made insanely fast.
    the ls1 will win. stock for stock or mod for mod.

and the ls1 will start pulling harder after about 55 mph.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    The 1LE did not stand for "limited edition" and was in fact a "stripped down" Camaro. Rather than explain it, here ya go...

ahh thanks

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ahh thanks
    No probs..

I am sure there have been many discussions on which is quickest. My youngest daughter has my 01 LS1 formula bone stock except flowmasters. My oldest just bought and 08 mustang GT both are automatics. They were wanting to race each other to see which is the quickest. This is not going to happen hopefully. Does anyone have any good knowlege which is quickest. I have driven both and I cant tell. Your input may save a couple of speeding tickets. Thanks
    The Formula should beat him but either way it always matters on the driver.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

As most has stated, the Formula has a slight advantage, however it should be a close race.

As for settling this dispute, you should just get the girls to head to the local track and run best 2 out of 3 (just to make it interesting).

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    the ls1 will win. stock for stock or mod for mod.

and the ls1 will start pulling harder after about 55 mph.

I think your Ws6 and the 01/02 LS1's will pull sooner, stock for stock. I believe they are beefed up a little?? It's the same LS1 for all, I know, but from the factory I believe they weren't as beefed up in 98-99, something like that. Anyways, I know your WS6 would pull sooner from the factory. In the quarter, they have still proven to be about 2 tenths quicker. It probably doesn't happen that way, but I go by what I see with good drivers in each car. Anyways, the margin is so close that it could go either way. Two, even Three tenths can be lost in a snap of a finger. The LS1's being a full second quicker? Well, you know how I feel about that already.
    Last edited by Camarofan; 07-30-2008 at 12:25 PM.

10's N/A

Also note that you could of got a complete stripped down non-1LE version.

white
    2000 Z28

the code for the stripped down camaros as far as 4th gens is 1sc. no luxuries on a base 1sc, but the options are still available. looking at the 4th gens alone i didnt see any package offering bigger brakes on our cars. no real huge power upgrades either. simply ss or lid with exhaust, or both. 1le in fourth gens i thought was strictly 02 camaro, not sure because i really dont think 1le is a huge option in buying a toy.
    2000 white z28, t-tops, free mods, intake, full exhaust, dyno tune, repro c5 z06 wheels, and some elbow grease here and there.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

The Fourth Generation Cars

The fourth generation Camaro was introduced in 1993 and was instantly popular. What the 1LE racers wanted to know though, was how this change would affect the cars they would now be competing in. Chevrolet did offer a 1LE options on the fourth generation Camaros in 1993, but few were actually ordered. Some new updates were then included to make the 1LE option more appealing to the buying public. The addition of a Borg-Warner T-56 six-speed manual transmission made a great impact as the fifth and sixth gears added to performance and also to top end. T-56 transmission ratios: first: 2.66, second: 1.78, third: 1.3, fourth: 1:1, fifth: 0.74, and sixth: 0.50.

Koni had become almost the exclusive manufacturer of the racing shocks which were usually installed in preparation for competition on all 1996 and later 1LE Camaros after they left the showroom floor. The Koni double-adjustable racing shock was well accepted and successful trackside, but thought to be too high-end for public use.

For the fourth generation, Koni contracted with GM to become the new shock supplier for all 1LE Camaros. The 1993s already came with an upgraded antilock braking system that was lightyears ahead of the third-generation version and if you bought a 1LE-equipped Camaro after 1993 you'd get much more than that for your money. GM began supplying Koni shocks on all four corners and including a little-known, unmarked instruction sheet in the glove box of each car explaining how to tune and adjust the shocks for the best handling on any track surface.

Along with the Koni shocks, Chevrolet really went all-out on the suspension upgrades for this model. Chevy also offered higher-rate durometer bushings on the front and rear control arms and panhard bar, stiffer coil springs on all four corners, a larger 32mm front sway bar, 21mm rear, and a beefier transmission mount for manual transmission-equipped cars as part of the 1LE package. This 1LE package was now being targeted at performance enthusiasts, not just hard-core racers, and in 1996 all Camaros came standard with air conditioning. Another little known fact is that all fourth generation Camaros came standard with a black painted roof, but the 1LE-equipped cars could be ordered with a roof painted to match the body color. All 1LEs automatically deleted the fog lamps on Z/28s, adding another outside telltale sign to its performance potential (someone at the Koni graphics arts department didn't notice that fog lamps are erroneously present on the Z/28 used in the Koni advertisement).

Sometime around 1995, Chevrolet no longer wanted to sell these cars only to racers and even promoted the 1LE option, now know as the Performance Suspension Package, in its public relations packets which is sent out to media and dealerships nationwide. What began as a hard-cord racing upgrade, meant only to win races at the track, turned into what is now a popular sales incentive for performance enthusiasts looking for just a bit more out of the Camaro. As Chevy points out in its own literature, the 1LE is "engineered specifically for professional racing and is intended for serious performance enthusiasts only."

The 1LE option was discontinued in 1999. GM's reason was the cost of keeping an inventory of parts for such a low production vehicle was not profitable. SLP brought back the 1LE option in 2001 on Camaro SS and Firebird Firehawks ordered with RPO Y2Y options. There are also no longer restrictions on comfort options and the SLP 1LEs are available with what serious performance enthusiasts may call sissy-ish things like air-conditioning, power leather seats, power windows, power locks, cruise control, T-tops, etc.

Since T-tops are standard on the Trans Am and Formula for 2002, all Firehawks will have T-tops, too.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

We can Aruge alot about whose car is going to win, but we rather see results. I have raced a couple of newer gt's and I got to admit they do take off fast but eventually they start slipping up. and stay behind. but youre best bet is what has already been said. Go to your local track and settle it. there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information