Thread: Stroker q

Stroker q

I have a 96 lt1 m6 trans with a decent amount of bolt on work along with a le1 cam and le2 heads. im havin some problems, leaks, other shit, and its getting old... figure ill do a bottom end rebuild this summer (although only has 67k miles on it) but i figured if im doin that, might as well get a stroker kit.

my q, is that im willing to go custom cam, but i dont want to change out the heads or anything like that... but will a stroker kit change the compresison at all? right now i have the impala gaskets with the le2 heads and its around 11.2:1 which is pretty high especially now that they arent selling 94 octane anymore in nj... i dont know enough about the logistics to know what i need to do, but any heads up suggestions would be appreciated. i dont want to sacrifice too much power put id rather play it safe then blow my only engine cause of a 10-20hp part choice.

i already have all the supporting mods short of maybe a hiflow fuel pump... ignition, headers, tb, manifold, headers, exhuast etc is all already more then enough...i planned ahead for once in anticipation for craving more power so as far as i know all i need is the rods and pistons, tune and a proper balance/install and nothin else should matter... atleast in my mind. up for comments suggestions GO!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

You can have a stroker built to whatever spec's you want.

Just think of the right combination of parts to get the compression down when building a motor for boost.

i think ill be done with a stroker kit.... i dont hit the track and it does snow and rain in jersey so i think a stroked blown car would be a bit much lol

but like if i just threw in an ebay eagle or lunati kit and had it installed, would it retain the compression in there now, or do they change it by defauly per say?

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Ya you can do a stroker kit and keep the compression down with a set of Dish pistons. Cam shouldn't be a problem either.

Just make sure you buy a crank worthy of your power goals!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    and keep the compression down with a set of Dish pistons.
    I thought flat top pistons were better for N/A setups?

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

If your NA LT1 has less than 10:1 compression ratio, you'll be leaving LOTS of power 'on the table'

KW

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I thought flat top pistons were better for N/A setups?
    Flat tops are recommended for most boost applicatoins, Except if you have a combo like a Stroker setup, Then you want Dish pistons to lower the compression. With Boost most people run compression is 9:6:1, Any hire and its gonna suck tuning, and the Knock is gonna be really high.

The funny thing is my Skyline motor comes Factory Dome pistons and its factory turbo charged 9:1:1 compression.

So In reality if you can keep the compression below 9:6:1 it doesnt really matter which piston, But the head combo will play a factor in it also!

whats a common compressions for an na 383 setup in an lt1? is there a sweetspot depending on the cam or anything like that or are they unrelated?

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

My 383 stroker bottom end, Stock heads, and cam came out to 11:1:0.

But thats going to vary based on your head combo if you decide to go aftermarket.

Thats also with dome pistons, So you can go flat top or dish to lower that.

nah im going to keep mine... i have a set of ported corvette heads that i had done by lloyd elliot in le2 specs, but i went with the le1 cam for now... what specs do you need from the heads in determining compression ratio? i guess i gotta stick with the impala gaskets too cause the rods and everything where changed up to match the shorter distance.
    Last edited by grandkodiak; 02-28-2008 at 10:38 AM.

red
    95 Z28

Man... seems like almost a year since your last stroker thread (with all the same questions)

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    whats a common compressions for an na 383 setup in an lt1? is there a sweetspot depending on the cam or anything like that or are they unrelated?
    For optimal power in most NA LT1/4 applications:

Static Compression should be about 11.5:1 to 12:1 with Dynamic Compression being in the neighborhood of 9.8:1.

If you have 9:1 Static Compression with domed pistons, it's because your piston's tops do not come close enough to the deck of the block. You'll have lousy quench and as a result, way less performance than you should....even with a turbo .

Optimally, you want your piston tops to come to about .010" to .015" from the engine deck......regardless as to what your final Static Compression goal is......

KW

yea that shit went out the window when the car got flooded out, finally getting back on track

Thread Information