Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by dparsons1968 View Post
    Wow, no need for me to send you any pictures. Mine does not look anything like that. I will still email a couple so that you have more than one set to show whoever did that. I totally agree with what was said above...whatever knucklehead did that knew it wasn't the way it was supposed to fit.
    I would appreciate it. I would like to show these pics to the installer to show him how it should look.

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I would appreciate it. I would like to show these pics to the installer to show him how it should look.

I emailed you four pics to the address you gave above. Let me know if that is what you want.

P

Er Dan Gill
    Has this been repaired yet? I'm an auto glass installer, and that definitely looks like a sub-par install. Question on the gap on the cowl panel, if you watched the installer replace your windshield did he pull the cowl panel? Typically most installers do not pull the cowl which results in that gap you see, because the urethane that holds the w/s in place gets "smeared" and smashed down. The molding is totally unacceptable. I would have them redo the entire job and request that an OEM moulding be used.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Er Dan Gill View Post
    Has this been repaired yet? I'm an auto glass installer, and that definitely looks like a sub-par install. Question on the gap on the cowl panel, if you watched the installer replace your windshield did he pull the cowl panel? Typically most installers do not pull the cowl which results in that gap you see, because the urethane that holds the w/s in place gets "smeared" and smashed down. The molding is totally unacceptable. I would have them redo the entire job and request that an OEM moulding be used.
    No, it has not been repaired yet and I did not watch them install it. I wish I had thought.

How is it possible to remove the windshield without removing the cowl panel?

Hey, I really appreciate your expert knowledge!

Er Dan Gill
    It's possible, not in any way correct though. It's an issue that plagues my industry. A couple more questions though, did they use any type of tape on the top of the w/s? The reason I ask is these f-bodies, with having such a large w/s have a tendency of "sliding down" causing the gap you see at the top of the w/s. Also, I might be wrong, kinda hard to tell in the pic, but it looks like the moulding is for a hard top. They are different between a T-top and hard top, do you have a pic of the center at the top?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

It's possible, not in any way correct though. It's an issue that plagues my industry. A couple more questions though, did they use any type of tape on the top of the w/s? The reason I ask is these f-bodies, with having such a large w/s have a tendency of "sliding down" causing the gap you see at the top of the w/s. Also, I might be wrong, kinda hard to tell in the pic, but it looks like the moulding is for a hard top. They are different between a T-top and hard top, do you have a pic of the center at the top?
    I did not see any kind of tape. Would it have been left on for a day or two?

Let me see if I have another pic of the center divider.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Here are the pics. Is this what you need?

Er Dan Gill
    I did not see any kind of tape. Would it have been left on for a day or two?

Let me see if I have another pic of the center divider.
    Ok, the moulding is correct. Tape would have been applied at the top corners, a couple strips six to eight inches long, half on the w/s half on the t-tops. Should only need to be on there for two or three hours while the urethane sets up,twenty four at the most. My best recomendation would be to harp all over the glass company to get them to re-install another w/s. From what I can see, overall it lookes like the w/s is installed crooked, and sitting way too tall at the top, and not tall enough at the bottom. If only one guy come out to install it, request two installers, that w/s is too large to set in place correctly with only one tech. And make absolutely sure they pull the cowl panel. One thing to look for to see if it was pulled, look at the corners of the cowl. The metal drip rail hooks into the cowl, and its a bugger to get it back in place, so you should see some gouges in the plastic from removing and re-installing it. Or another popular hack method is too just prop the corners up which would make it look like it was pulled anyway.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Ok, the moulding is correct. Tape would have been applied at the top corners, a couple strips six to eight inches long, half on the w/s half on the t-tops. Should only need to be on there for two or three hours while the urethane sets up,twenty four at the most. My best recomendation would be to harp all over the glass company to get them to re-install another w/s. From what I can see, overall it lookes like the w/s is installed crooked, and sitting way too tall at the top, and not tall enough at the bottom. If only one guy come out to install it, request two installers, that w/s is too large to set in place correctly with only one tech. And make absolutely sure they pull the cowl panel. One thing to look for to see if it was pulled, look at the corners of the cowl. The metal drip rail hooks into the cowl, and its a bugger to get it back in place, so you should see some gouges in the plastic from removing and re-installing it. Or another popular hack method is too just prop the corners up which would make it look like it was pulled anyway.
    Damn! Big help! I am going to watch and ask that two installers help! Sucks that I gotta take off work now so that it gets done right!

Greatly appreciated!

Er Dan Gill
    Been lurking here for years, finally saw a post I could offer some help with so I had to register finally. Keep me posted on how things go. Glad I could help out.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Been lurking here for years, finally saw a post I could offer some help with so I had to register finally. Keep me posted on how things go. Glad I could help out.
    Cool! I will!

They are ordering the B-pillar moulding and as soon as they get it from GM, they will be coming out to look at it.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Update! 1 month later!

I finally got a brand new windshield installed again and more bad news!

The windshield is now installed so that the weatherstrip almost touches the t-tops. It has about an 1/8" gap. I can live with that, but now the windshield is 1/2" to far to the left. So basically it is not centered. When you are sitting in the drivers seat, you can look out and see the glass hanging over the side of the car. And when you are outside of the car looking at the passenger side where the side window meets the windshield, you can see the red paint!!

I will get pics up very soon!

I'm gonna flip the F#%K OUT!

Shhh! There's a
    hooker in the trunk

oh no babe! im really sorry this whole thing is a clusterfkk.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmy View Post
    oh no babe! im really sorry this whole thing is a clusterfkk.
    I just got off of the phone with him and he says that he will get me a GM windshield. Thats all well and good but I don't want to have another windshield pulled and installed for the third time.

Shhh! There's a
    hooker in the trunk

I just got off of the phone with him and he says that he will get me a GM windshield. Thats all well and good but I don't want to have another windshield pulled and installed for the third time.
    i hear ya. i hope it pans out for the better....

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

bran thats ridiculous! the guys that come to the dealer i work at do a flawless job, and quickly. i wish they can fix this for you as there is no doubt in my mind that it would be done any other way other then perfect. 2 old timers, they work together and jus knock em out!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    bran thats ridiculous! the guys that come to the dealer i work at do a flawless job, and quickly. i wish they can fix this for you as there is no doubt in my mind that it would be done any other way other then perfect. 2 old timers, they work together and jus knock em out!
    I wish I could take it somewhere else but they are already in so deep.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I wish I could take it somewhere else but they are already in so deep.
    well eventually they are gonna get sick of doing the job and not making money on it and they will have to get it right or send someone that can get it right? Whoever is doing obviously doesnt give a shit how it comes out? Did you get like a cut throat deal on it?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    well eventually they are gonna get sick of doing the job and not making money on it and they will have to get it right or send someone that can get it right? Whoever is doing obviously doesnt give a shit how it comes out? Did you get like a cut throat deal on it?
    It is free through my insurance company.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

It is free through my insurance company.
    that explains it lol the insurance company gets the cheapest company to do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information