Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Here for the free beer Nestromo's Avatar

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

If anyone here has any sense you could make car of the month. That car has the potential to be cooler than any F-Body they have ever made COTM.

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

Over the Weekend I had a chance to do a bit more on the car,
    Last Saturday we started welding the Body to the Chassis at the Rocker Panels. First we made sure the Body was Level to the frame on all four corners. This was easy for us because the Tops of the Frame Rails already sit at the correct height. Next we Tacked all four corners of the Rockers.
    Then going back and forth(not that it mattered) down the Drivers Side we Gas welded the Lumina's Body to the Trans Am's Floor Pan:

Here is the Rocker after a quick shot of primer to keep the Rust away:

On the Bottom Side the Trans Am was not attached like the Lumina was. We used a piece of 1x1 Angle Iron that fit the gap really nice. Here it is with a Series of Tacks from Gas Welding, when the car is Able I will take it to the Shop and Finish welding these with our Miller. I have a 110 mig(old craftsman) but was not happy with the penetration, so we Gas welded everything to this point:

This Last shot is from Inside the Car looking at the drivers Rocker:

Friday I hope to get the Passenger side Rocker done, then Saturday it's on to the Wheel Wells and Frame.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Is the roof going to be structurally integral to the car?

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

02ultraZIs the roof going to be structurally integral to the car?
    Yes it is, The Roof is Solid Steel again, and the Supports under the Sheet Metal have also been welded back together. I still am pondering doing a Cage, not that I don't trust my Handywork but rather because I'm looking into a Supercharger Set Up. If I go that route with the the added Power and Torque the Cage would be nice to help Stiffen it Up. If you noticed in previuos post I showed the Frame Rails that run down the Bottom of the Luminas Body, I know I'll gain a lot of strength there.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

If you put a full cage in that thing you could cut a targa top into it. That would be badass...

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

I don't think that would work, the Lumina''s have a Door Frame around the window(on the door). If it didn't have that Frame I'd of chopped the Top too!

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

oh shit yea i forgot about that detail.

Well with your metal skillz you could cut that top section of the doors window frame and weld it to the targa part you would cut out. I would just look goofy with the doors open thats all. Sike it would leak like a bitch...

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

Any work on the Z58?

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

1-2-08

1-2-08

Hi Nestromo,

Z57 remember....lol
    Yes There has been a Lot of work on the car, Thanks for asking. A lot of what has been done over the Past few weeks is repetitive. The Passenger quarter is welded together and now needs finish work done. Both Rocker Panels are welded together now, Both Front Wheel Wells are now welded to the Lumina Body, the Drivers Rear Wheel Well Quarter is also weled, the Passenger side is ½ way done. I bought a set of C5 wheels I pick up today at noon, I think they will go great with the Lumina's body lines. The mig welder I borrowed was junk so I bought a new one, this makes everything so much faster. Tonight I plan on trying to wrap up the Trunk, rear Frame Rails, and the Passenger wheel well. I will take a lot more Pictures tonight and post them. Thanks for Asking.
    Joe
    Last edited by Z34LS1; 02-02-2008 at 05:33 AM.

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Z34LS1 View Post
    1-2-08
    Hi Nestromo,
    Z57 remember....lol
    Sorry, Phord guy. 5.8 comes to my head naturally.

Yes There has been a Lot of work on the car, Thanks for asking. A lot of what has been done over the Past few weeks is repetitive. The Passenger quarter is welded together and now needs finish work done. Both Rocker Panels are welded together now, Both Front Wheel Wells are now welded to the Lumina Body, the Drivers Rear Wheel Well Quarter is also weled, the Passenger side is ½ way done. I bought a set of C5 wheels I pick up today at noon, I think they will go great with the Lumina's body lines. The mig welder I borrowed was junk so I bought a new one, this makes everything so much faster. Tonight I plan on trying to wrap up the Trunk, rear Frame Rails, and the Passenger wheel well. I will take a lot more Pictures tonight and post them. Thanks for Asking.
    Joe
    Sounds like you are making some serious progress. What kind of C5 wheels? The "wagon wheel" style? If so then they will definately go well with the Lumina. Get those pics up. Can't wait to see the finished product. People will be talking about this car, that's for sure.

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

February 3rd, 1997

Well I've been working Solo for the past Month, my Son's working more OT than he cares for. I have a lot of updates, so Thanks for checking my thread to see what I've been up to.

Here is the Drivers Front Wheel Well, lots of extra to grind off. I have to make a small panel to close off the front of it yet. The original Flanges were used, welds were done from the Top first, then the undersides done on all four Wheel Wells:

Here is the Passenger Side:

This is the Drivers Rear Wheel Well shown from inside the Car. Once again I have a small panel to fit in at the Bottom:

This picture is the Same Wheel Well showing the Top Side from inside the Car. I have a few Holes to Fill in Yet as well as grinding excess welds. Working in tight spot is harder than you think, getting the right angles to weld the panels is tough:

Here is the Passenger Rear Wheel Well from inside the car:

Top View of the Passenger Side Rear Wheel Well:

This is the Drivers Rear Wheel Well shot from behind the Car.The Bottom Floor of the Trunk needs to be made yet:

This is the Passenger Rear Frame. The Frames are Offset from Each other, both of the Lumina Sections were to the Right side of the Trans Am's so I made the new sections up one side at a time and made a new Box Frame section:

Here is the Drivers Rear Frame Mod:

Yesterday in a Local Ad magazine I found a set of C5 Wheels, I bought them cause I think they'll go with the Body:

Thanks for Taking the Time to see what I've been up to, comments and Criticism is always Welcome.

NBM
    99 TA

^^ looks like those wheels are gonna stick out bigtime... any solution in mind? or is it just the camera angle that makes it look like that?

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

Actually from above they are Outside the Body by about ½ Inch. The Law locally is you can not exceed 1 Inch. Once the Ground Effects and Rear Bumper are on they don't look so Fat.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Actually from above they are Outside the Body by about ½ Inch. The Law locally is you can not exceed 1 Inch. Once the Ground Effects and Rear Bumper are on they don't look so Fat.
    Where in Indiana are you located?......I am @ the southern tip, I got to come chaeck this build out.....BTW, I'm impressed, good luck and keep us up to date...
    Brad

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

I'm in a small town called Decatur. It's 12 miles South of Fort Wayne.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

I'm in a small town called Decatur. It's 12 miles South of Fort Wayne.
    About 51/2 Hrs from me... I'll get up there some time and look you up..
    Brad

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

My Dad passed away on February 6th so I've been busy with Funeral Arrangements and Helping my Mom get her life back in order. My parents were 11 days short of their 47th Anniversary.
    I did get back into the Garage over this past weekend and managed to Finish the Trunk Floor and Rear Wheel Wells. I will post pictures soon.

NBM
    99 TA

My Dad passed away on February 6th so I've been busy with Funeral Arrangements and Helping my Mom get her life back in order. My parents were 11 days short of their 47th Anniversary.
    I did get back into the Garage over this past weekend and managed to Finish the Trunk Floor and Rear Wheel Wells. I will post pictures soon.
    I'm sorry for your loss!

pewter
    2002 camaro ss

def a sweet build keep us updated

1966 Corvette Coupe

I need a fix man... I need some info on how the project is going...

-me

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information