Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

its going to be like a NHRA funny car pedal game at the line if your both running street tires. Who ever can pedal like Fred Flintstone is gonna win!!!!

10's N/A

The freakin' magazine drivers were pulling 13.5's between 103-105 in the LT1 'hawks. They are the real deal. If he's got what you said he's got, and everything's tuned right, he should be very quick.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    The freakin' magazine drivers were pulling 13.5's between 103-105 in the LT1 'hawks. They are the real deal. If he's got what you said he's got, and everything's tuned right, he should be very quick.
    I'm pretty sure stock WS6's from 00' and up ran 13.2 from the factory with a professional driver (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and with the work he has done, and losing bottom end #'s, without a cam and a good tune it's very possible that he is running the times he told me because his "powerband," so to speak, is out of range. But with a cam, and a good tune..hell, who knows what times he could turn....

But, he doesn't have all his ducks in a row, so that could be his demise. And honestly while I was talking to him about it, he wasn't even totally sure if his 93' was an LT1 or LS1..???? I mean, if you're doing all the modding to your car, shouldn't you know what base motor you have? Prolly slapped some old ported Crustang heads on there haha.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I'm pretty sure stock WS6's from 00' and up ran 13.2 from the factory with a professional driver (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    They can hit high 12s with a professional driver.

10's N/A

I'm pretty sure stock WS6's from 00' and up ran 13.2 from the factory with a professional driver (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and with the work he has done, and losing bottom end #'s, without a cam and a good tune it's very possible that he is running the times he told me because his "powerband," so to speak, is out of range. But with a cam, and a good tune..hell, who knows what times he could turn....

But, he doesn't have all his ducks in a row, so that could be his demise. And honestly while I was talking to him about it, he wasn't even totally sure if his 93' was an LT1 or LS1..???? I mean, if you're doing all the modding to your car, shouldn't you know what base motor you have? Prolly slapped some old ported Crustang heads on there haha.
    Don't jump the gun now. I never said an LS1 WS6 couldn't hit the 13.2 mark. If I said that, I would be lying, considering i've seen an '02 WS6 vert go 13.19@106 in stock trim on the stock rubber, along with numerous other cars run the low 13-second bracket. 12's in a stocker? Possible yeah, but hard to find. I'm just going by what you said, which was that your buddy has a '93 Firehawk with ported heads, roller rockers, and a chip. Yes a cam will definitely add more potential his setup, but if tuned right, his current combination should work. In the scenario that his car is working, it should be a great race. '93 Firehawks were not your average low-to-mid second LT1 car. They were capable of a lot better than that. And with everything in tune, he'd definitely have no problem giving you a run considering he is a good driver.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TrickStang37 View Post
    be carefull, i've seen plenty of first timers in LS1 (at the track) powered cars in the 14.xx's. The reaction time alone can kill you. Its harder than you think at first. You do have a lot of room for error, but the odds are you are gonna error, just depends on how much.

Thats not a bash or anything, I ran pretty horrible my first couple times down the track, as have all my friends.
    yea...I ran 14.1 the very first time down a track. I was embarrassed, but I got her down into the mid 13's...and that was with a .441 R/T, and a 2.2 60'

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TX_WS6_02 View Post
    yea...I ran 14.1 the very first time down a track. I was embarrassed, but I got her down into the mid 13's...and that was with a .441 R/T, and a 2.2 60'
    I had over half a tank of gas, luggage, spare tire, jack, and still crossed the 1/4 at 104...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    . '93 Firehawks were not your average low-to-mid second LT1 car. They were capable of a lot better than that. And with everything in tune, he'd definitely have no problem giving you a run considering he is a good driver.
    No gun jumping, but thanks for the info. I figured they just had a few more hp than the stock LT1's. Like a stock LS1 Hawk only has (I think) 20 hp stock, more than a regular T/A. Obviously a much better platform to build upon. Not arguing, agreeing!

Black
    98 Trans Am

My cousin's friend has a 93' Lt1 Firehawk with Corsa exhaust, LT's, ported heads, roller rockers, and a chip. It's an A4.
    A 93 automatic LT1 Firehawk was rated at 300hp and can run the 1/4 in about 13.6@101 stock. Those mods should put it solidly in the low 13's if the heads and chip aren't crap. Something is wrong if it only ran a 14.1.
    Last edited by F&Ybodlover; 11-28-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Yah, I ran 13.9 with catback/cai the very first time in my Cobra (not first time at the track tho.) I went from 1st gear to 2nd to 5th. I didn't know I threw it in 5th till after the run. I thought something was wrong with my car, it just wast pulling the same HAHA.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    A 93 automatic LT1 Firehawk was rated at 300hp and can run the 1/4 in about 13.6@101 stock. Those mods should put it solidly in the low 13's if the heads and chip aren't crap. Something is wrong if it only ran a 14.1.
    Good info, thanks. Ported heads w/out upgraded intake, tb, or cam has got to kill some performance.

Ex: Push 100cfm of air into your stock application that is engineered to work with the combination of intake, tb, head, cam, and tune, and it works great.
    -Push 100cfm into stock intake, tb, cam....and then introduce larger areas for flow in the head, and install a not so perfect tune....and you get a whcked out combo that does not work!

Now I know this is purely hypothetical, but it completely stands to reason. As I had previously stated, when the guy told me that he had ported heads, I asked him about a cam, and he said no. This leads me to believe that he does not know what he's talking about, and this combo is just to "intimidate" people who would have lesser knowledge.

Not saying those cars aren't/ can't be fast, just saying that with all of the info he gave me, the 1/4 mile time, and him pushing the issue...I think he isn't informed enough about LS1's!

I'm glad you guys are giving me the REAL info on what that car can/ could do. It makes the situation seem more realistic.

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

R/T does not matter, your time starts when you leave the line....

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor285 View Post
    Oh...didn't know that. Only been to the track once. Thanks for the useful info...

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor285 View Post
    R/T does matter if your racing someone! If your by yourself and just looking for E:T then no it dont matter, Otherwise you better work on it, B/C if the Kid schools you in the lights your going to have to run him down and if his car is just a bit slower than yours Then he can make it up on the lights! But lots of practice will help.

You said you have never been on a track B/F so to help you out a little when your on the lights, As soon as you see the last yellow you better be on the gas! Do not wait for the green or you will have horrible R/T

Black
    98 Trans Am

Good info, thanks. Ported heads w/out upgraded intake, tb, or cam has got to kill some performance.
    You can still have ported heads on an LT1(or most any engine for that matter) and it will still add power if it's a mild port job. The LT1 intake and t-body are good for over 400hp so either the heads on that Firehawk are flowing to much and killing bottom end, B) something else is wrong C) he's lying.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    You can still have ported heads on an LT1(or most any engine for that matter) and it will still add power if it's a mild port job. The LT1 intake and t-body are good for over 400hp so either the heads on that Firehawk are flowing to much and killing bottom end, B) something else is wrong C) he's lying.
    even at 400 HP the LT1 intake would hardly be a restriction, the TB also. The cam specs on an LT1 are similar to those of a stock LS1 and mildly ported heads would probably flow similar numbers to the stock LS1 heads. So basicly this LT1 should put down numbers pretty similar to an LS1 with the same mods. With that being said, i have a feeling that this kids heads are NOT ported at all cuz hardly nobody goes through the trouble of porting the heads but leaving the stock cam in there.

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    R/T does matter if your racing someone! If your by yourself and just looking for E:T then no it dont matter, Otherwise you better work on it, B/C if the Kid schools you in the lights your going to have to run him down and if his car is just a bit slower than yours Then he can make it up on the lights! But lots of practice will help.

You said you have never been on a track B/F so to help you out a little when your on the lights, As soon as you see the last yellow you better be on the gas! Do not wait for the green or you will have horrible R/T
    Very true, I just meant when quoting times 1/4 mile times, sorry I did not clarify. I don't even know my R/T's from the track, I was too busy practicing my launch lol. R/T's do matter in street and bracket races!

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Grab a 100 shot and skin him alive.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak1 View Post
    Grab a 100 shot and skin him alive.
    I'm thinkin about 125 wet shot, but I absolutely NEED a 9" first! Mine is a DD (still, unfortunately) and the sounds are just getting worse form back there. I'm hoping it blows up soon so I can justify getting a new one haha.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have raced a few firehawks i didnt really see any kind of special performance from them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information