Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Let's skip a few years ahead when there "were" much of the import competition out. The SN95 was brand new (still had a 5.0 underneath), and the fox-bodies were in their prime. An Integra GSR with the right driver was good for just that, mid to low 15's in the low-low 90's. Motor Trend got 14.9 in a '95 Type R, 15.1@93 in a Turbo Eclipse, and 14.9@93 in a Honda Del Sol VTEC. 5-0's were right around that alley.

And for the record, 5.0's "stomping" 3rd gen Camaro's was a myth. A 5-speed 5.0 (305) Camaro would run right with it, or even pull a stock 5.0. They were pretty even, despite what most will tell you. You don't believe me, go look at the road tests.
    you show me a 305 with gears, headers, and a catback that could run with a fox with the same mods then. it isnt a myth, its a fact some of the gm faithful like to forget. i have a hard time believing a 3400 pound slug is going to run with ~3000 pound car producing similar numbers, but ok, it just a myth.

motor trend obviously has the worlds best drivers, and i would like to see them work their magic in a fox body if they squeezed a 14.9 out of a gsr. but i guess we're magazine racing?

Huh?
    are you not the one who everytime a mustang is brought up acts as though they all suck and none of them are fast and that this is an ls1 forum so we cant at the very least respect a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Noone here said we hate mustangs

i suppose its just exclusive to other threads then?

whatever way you slice it, a fox is in no way comparable to an import, never will be. argue all you want, you wont ever convince me.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I also diagree about the foxbody being a import, in soem cases may be as slow as them but its not a import at all, I personally thing they are fun cars, My best friend has a 89 with headers bassani x pipe, short air intake 3.73 rear end gears and he ran a 14.7. Which isnt too bad, and you are right they are cheap to modify, however if you get heads, cam and full bolt ons thats where the cheap modfying ends and with those mods most would probablly be around what a stock ls1 runs, if you have a really good setup with gears and some good tires high 12s which is what my car is at right now and i have just headers, exhaust and a lid. So no im not impressed by fox bodys generally some do make some nice power, and if you wanna go into other posts then maybe you will see the one i made about my girlfriends cousins 5.0 turbo making 622rwhp that car is a beats, still dont handle for shit though.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

My 88 Coupe went 14.07 @ 98 MPH stock, one month old (July 1988, IRP). The car eventually went 12.52 without ever cracking a valve cover, not gutted, and with no power adder. The only 3rd Gen that was a real good run for a fox-body LX 5.0 (stock for stock) was an L98 (excepting the 89 TTA, of course). I raced these cars when new, and even owned an LB9 Z28 (it was 3 years old when we bought it).

Correctly driven and optioned, a 5 speed 5.0 was a low-mid 14 second car. Incorrectly driven, or if an A4, droptop, etc, then 15's were not uncommon. For its "day", it was one of the quickest cars on the road. The one mass-produced car that had a performance edge on it was the 86/87 Turbo Regals....ok...and L98 Corvettes.

SN95 5.0s (94/95) were heavier, and thus somewhat slower.

There certainly are 'riced out' fox-bodies out there (and you can find examples of virtually any car that has been 'riced out'), but there is nothing "ricey" about Fox-body Mustangs, as delivered.

Bob

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Once again bob chimes in with better times than anyone in a mustang, I have seen alot of fox bodys run and most are 15s some high 14s stock never seen one get close to 14 flat stock. Then again you are the mustang prof.

10's N/A

I was just waiting for "BLKCLOUD" to come out with a car that ran a full second quicker than most...I swear I was - LOL. Very impressive, but if you ask the next man what he ran in his 5-0 stock, he's probably going to say 15's. Shoot, I got Mustang buddies that have a number of 5-0's, and they were frustrated running 14.0's-14.1's with the Cobra (HCI) conversion 10 years ago trying to get ahead of me and my bro's stock LT1's. So that is a little too rare.

I'm not being a Ford hater, i'm just stating the facts. And with all the years, and all the 5-0's i've seen run (I could probably count in the hundreds), believe my word is credible. I could tell you my LT1 ran 12.9 bone stock, and you probably wouldn't believe me -- and you shouldn't. God could not change my opinion on a 5.0 - and once again i'll say it, they were slow off the showroom. I know some get weak when you mention the past, but 15-20 years ago still ain't changed.

P.S. Bob, send me a video of that stock 14.0@98 5-0. I'll add that to my collectables - LOL

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Im not saying you didnt but i would liek to see that video to and then a break down of the motor to make sure it was stock lol, those cars ddint make 200rwhp stock and you run a 14 flat with a 3000lbs car not even making 200rwhp, i do love how you just say fuck the rules of weight vs power im gonna be as fast as a 3000lbs with 250rwhp lol.

10's N/A

Im not saying you didnt but i would liek to see that video to and then a break down of the motor to make sure it was stock lol, those cars ddint make 200rwhp stock and you run a 14 flat with a 3000lbs car not even making 200rwhp, i do love how you just say fuck the rules of weight vs power im gonna be as fast as a 3000lbs with 250rwhp lol.
    yeah that's uuunbelievable!

Pewter
    2000 z28

I was just waiting for "BLKCLOUD" to come out with a car that ran a full second quicker than most...I swear I was - LOL. Very impressive, but if you ask the next man what he ran in his 5-0 stock, he's probably going to say 15's. Shoot, I got Mustang buddies that have a number of 5-0's, and they were frustrated running 14.0's-14.1's with the Cobra (HCI) conversion 10 years ago trying to get ahead of me and my bro's stock LT1's. So that is a little too rare.

I'm not being a Ford hater, i'm just stating the facts. And with all the years, and all the 5-0's i've seen run (I could probably count in the hundreds), believe my word is credible. I could tell you my LT1 ran 12.9 bone stock, and you probably wouldn't believe me -- and you shouldn't. God could not change my opinion on a 5.0 - and once again i'll say it, they were slow off the showroom. I know some get weak when you mention the past, but 15-20 years ago still ain't changed.

P.S. Bob, send me a video of that stock 14.0@98 5-0. I'll add that to my collectables - LOL
    this is all fine and everything but the same basic logic goes into the magazine racing numbers posted earlier. no one around that i have ever seen has run a 14.9 in a gsr, so apparently motor trend (as usual) runs a few tenths faster than the norm, just like bob seems to.

you and guru find it nearly unbelievable what #s bobs posted, the same can be said for me upon seeing the numbers for the imports you posted.

im not a ford lover, just dont discredit them when i know better.

and just so you know, im not accusing you of anything, much less not being having credibility. obviously you have a few fast rides, which always counts for something in my book.

same with guru.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    this is all fine and everything but the same basic logic goes into the magazine racing numbers posted earlier. no one around that i have ever seen has run a 14.9 in a gsr, so apparently motor trend (as usual) runs a few tenths faster than the norm, just like bob seems to.

you and guru find it nearly unbelievable what #s bobs posted, the same can be said for me upon seeing the numbers for the imports you posted.

im not a ford lover, just dont discredit them when i know better.

and just so you know, im not accusing you of anything, much less not being having credibility. obviously you have a few fast rides, which always counts for something in my book.

same with guru.

Yeah, no pun intended. Just going from what I know. You know what they say, it's nothing like experience!

Pewter
    2000 z28

Yeah, no pun intended. Just going from what I know. You know what they say, it's nothing like experience!
    i wish i had a whole lot more!!!

you race that c4 alot or what? i like em better than c5, (but dont tell anyone because i will undoubtedly get stabbed).

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I think what "JWon" is referring to when he says "ricer" pertains a little bit to the performance of a fox-body. And he has a point. Stock 5-0's were pulling mid-low 15's right there with the Eclipses, Preludes, Integra's and so on, and if I recall right, most guys did compare the performance of the foxbody (and SN95's) to the import cars. Now I could be wrong but that's what it sounds like to me.
    Yea that kind of sums it up in a way. Its hard to explain it but oh well.

But yea I have been in plenty of foxbodies, some of my close friends have some and for a whole week my friend let me drive his around.

10's N/A

i wish i had a whole lot more!!!

you race that c4 alot or what? i like em better than c5, (but dont tell anyone because i will undoubtedly get stabbed).
    I try not to drive the C4 a lot because of the mileage (re-sale value) factor. Sad to say, it will be sold one day. On my last 1/4 past I blew a radiator hose - scared the crap out of me. I've been taking it easy ever since.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Yea that kind of sums it up in a way. Its hard to explain it but oh well.

But yea I have been in plenty of foxbodies, some of my close friends have some and for a whole week my friend let me drive his around.
    Fox Bodies can go real fast, but stock there a whole different story.

Pewter
    2000 z28

I try not to drive the C4 a lot because of the mileage (re-sale value) factor. Sad to say, it will be sold one day. On my last 1/4 past I blew a radiator hose - scared the crap out of me. I've been taking it easy ever since.
    ouch that is scary business. rare color on that vette too it seems like.

well shit, if you ever wanna sell that z let me know first. i want an lt1 and that thing looks tits!

dont have any experience with nitrous in any of my cars but im sure she's a blast....

10's N/A

ouch that is scary business. rare color on that vette too it seems like.

well shit, if you ever wanna sell that z let me know first. i want an lt1 and that thing looks tits!

dont have any experience with nitrous in any of my cars but im sure she's a blast....
    Oh yeah, she's very clean. As far as my vette, the main I don't like is the interior. No one ever warned me that it down right sucks. I bet your LS1 kicks ass - I love pewter. Your a very lucky guy!

Pewter
    2000 z28

Oh yeah, she's very clean. As far as my vette, the main I don't like is the interior. No one ever warned me that it down right sucks. I bet your LS1 kicks ass - I love pewter. Your a very lucky guy!
    actually its pretty shitty but i like it. nothing really done to it because im at what i like to call a modification impass. meaning i dont know what to do. kinda wanna keep her stockish and shave alot of weigh through drivetrain and suspension pieces. sort of see where i can take her in stock(ish) form at the strip.

she's kinda rough right now bc my dad backed into her and ive made things worse with my little whistler headlight ideas, fucking gorilla glue everywhere....

torque monster though. i love it. pewter is goooooood. have you seen prestons (Y2KPewterSS)? friggin wow! i dog him about it all the time, wanting pics and shit. its just mean.

did you post your ride pics in the post your camaros thread? do it.

10's N/A

No I didn't post it yet. The hostess I used (Image shack) did not work for some reason. As far as mods, ohhh boy, there is sooo much you can do. Basic bolt-ons like lid, filter, scoop, headers, tune, etc. can get you in excess of 350rw. But even stock it's impressive!

Pewter
    2000 z28

No I didn't post it yet. The hostess I used (Image shack) did not work for some reason. As far as mods, ohhh boy, there is sooo much you can do. Basic bolt-ons like lid, filter, scoop, headers, tune, etc. can get you in excess of 350rw. But even stock it's impressive!
    oh i know man. i just figure theres enough here for me to play with for awhile ya know?

besides this was going to be a budget build back when i was at my old job as i had intentions of getting a beat up 99 ws6 from a friend, but now thats gone and im gonna spend the money on certain things so i wont have to redo anything.

for example: was gonna get uncoated pacesetters and high temp paint em, but have now decided to get the qtps which are a great deal more but better quality and stainless steel.

might as well do er right seeing as how i probably wont sell this car for a long time.

do plan on longtubes with twin cut outs and true duals.

10's N/A

Thumbs up

oh i know man. i just figure theres enough here for me to play with for awhile ya know?

besides this was going to be a budget build back when i was at my old job as i had intentions of getting a beat up 99 ws6 from a friend, but now thats gone and im gonna spend the money on certain things so i wont have to redo anything.

for example: was gonna get uncoated pacesetters and high temp paint em, but have now decided to get the qtps which are a great deal more but better quality and stainless steel.

might as well do er right seeing as how i probably wont sell this car for a long time.

do plan on longtubes with twin cut outs and true duals.
    That 'ell be raw!

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

"Too rare" is 13.9 in a bone stock 87 LX. Cars Illustrated, spring 88 issue. I stand by my statement, based on my own experience and my own observations at the track in the late 80's and early 90's when those cars were new.

Were you racing cars in the late 80's early 90's? Were into the "Mustang scene" like I was?

I'm not being a Ford hater, i'm just stating the facts.
    Very selective facts, but ok.

And with all the years, and all the 5-0's i've seen run (I could probably count in the hundreds), believe my word is credible.
    And mine is not? How much Mustang racing have you done? Not your buddies, not your magazines - but you?

I could tell you my LT1 ran 12.9 bone stock, and you probably wouldn't believe me -- and you shouldn't.
    Correct.

God could not change my opinion on a 5.0
    Hardheadedness can be a good trait sometimes.

Not so much in this case.

and once again i'll say it, they were slow off the showroom.
    By LS1 standards? Sure. By 1987-1993 standards (when the cars were new)? Not at all.

I know some get weak when you mention the past, but 15-20 years ago still ain't changed.
    No, it hasn't changed. But cars have. If one keeps things in perspective, it helps.

I'd love too. Too bad I didn't even own a video camera in 1988, and there certainly wasn't any such thing as "Youtube" back then. I'd prefer that you just go on not believing - it is the most sincere compliment you can give.

No, they make in the neighborhood of 185-190 RWHP stock. I don't know what mine made, because this was back about the time you were born, and there was no such thing as chassis dyno's back then.

My car never made 250 RWHP, but at 237 RWHP, it went 12.52 (1994). And at 278 RWHP, it went 11.93 (1997). Both of those ETs were at ~3150 lb raceweight.

How about you?

Likewise. Want to compare credentials?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information