Thread: Old vs New

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

Old vs New

My uncle wanted to see how his stock Mach 1 would fare against a modern muscle car, so we did 3 runs, all from a dig, on his driveway/private road. He even had his wife stand in front of our cars with two hankerchiefs to start each run. His car easily sounded much more intimidating than mine, but I took each run pretty easily. Now he wants to know how easy it is to mod an LS1, because he wants to throw one in his canary yellow 1980 Camaro and turn it into a monster.

My dad got wind of our little match and decided he wanted to match his old Duster 340 against me. His Duster is far from stock. Our first run was from a dig, and I took him by half a car because he had a bad start, our second dig run he managed to hook it and he had 2 car lengths on me by the time I hit 40mph. We did one more run from a roll starting at 50mph, and that ended with him taking me by half a car, with me starting to close the gap as he reached his top end and the T/A was still accellerating.

That Duster of his is a stone cold killer at speeds up to about 140.

Nice runs, I would have liked seeing that on video. I have a sweet spot for those old Dusters....

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by UKXK189 View Post
    My uncle wanted to see how his stock Mach 1 would fare against a modern muscle car, so we did 3 runs, all from a dig, on his driveway/private road. He even had his wife stand in front of our cars with two hankerchiefs to start each run. His car easily sounded much more intimidating than mine, but I took each run pretty easily. Now he wants to know how easy it is to mod an LS1, because he wants to throw one in his canary yellow 1980 Camaro and turn it into a monster.

My dad got wind of our little match and decided he wanted to match his old Duster 340 against me. His Duster is far from stock. Our first run was from a dig, and I took him by half a car because he had a bad start, our second dig run he managed to hook it and he had 2 car lengths on me by the time I hit 40mph. We did one more run from a roll starting at 50mph, and that ended with him taking me by half a car, with me starting to close the gap as he reached his top end and the T/A was still accellerating.

That Duster of his is a stone cold killer at speeds up to about 140.
    What year was the Mach 1, 69?

That duster sounds sweet, I went to all chrysler nationals last weekend there was a duster in the burnout competition, he tore it up.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02ultraZ View Post
    What year was the Mach 1, 69?

That duster sounds sweet, I went to all chrysler nationals last weekend there was a duster in the burnout competition, he tore it up.
    It was the '73 Mach one with the Boss 351 under the hood.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

eh little new for my taste in mustangs, but sounds like a nice & fast car.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by 02ultraZ View Post
    eh little new for my taste in mustangs, but sounds like a nice & fast car.
    Me too... I wonder how an LS1 would fair against a "tuned" 428 SCJ or a Boss 429. I think the LS1 would certainly have its hands full.

Chris

Me likes your way of thinking, Chris.....

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I think that would be a ok race, i have raced a cobrajet 428 and won, I think there high 13 second low 14s car not that fast. The would be a better run for a LT1.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

2000T/A, it's so hard to get a fair comparison of what the old-school muscle cars were capable of. With 5.0s you could pick up 2-3 tenths of a second by doing a "ten-minute tuneup." With the old-school cars, though, you could pick up a full second or more just in the tune of the car. Things like proper jetting, timing adjustments, converting secondaries from vacuum to mechanical etc... made a huge difference in the performance of those cars.

You couldn't even get a good idea from the old magazines because some cars were ringers from the factory, and some weren't even tuned.

BTW, the 428 SCJ wasn't the same thing as a CobraJet. More aggressive gearing, tuning, and engine internals made it a little more optimized for drag-racing. They're hard to come by. I know an otherwise factory stock one would be comparable to an LS1 if it were tweaked and had similar traction. They'd both go 12s, my money would be on the SCJ. I wouldn't bet too much though, it'd be a close one.

Chris

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

My uncle has a 428 Cobra Jet, and it ran a 13.7 completely restored, Ive seen numbers of them goin 14.1-14.4s.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by UKXK189 View Post
    It was the '73 Mach one with the Boss 351 under the hood.
    Those were very quick cars in their day.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

The early 70s Mach 1s were my favorite mustangs of all time

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I beat a highly modified 429 Boss Mustang with the almost stock 95 T/A I had. A young guy was driving his daddy's Mustang and thought starting a race will doing a brake stand was going to make him go fast!

After the race he pulled up next to me and asked what I was running because the Mustang has pulled 10's on a drag strip. I hope he didn't tell his dad he lost to an almost stock LT1 T/A!

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    My uncle has a 428 Cobra Jet, and it ran a 13.7 completely restored, Ive seen numbers of them goin 14.1-14.4s.
    I've seen LS1s running 14s, though I know 12s are possible with traction, weather permitting, and driving. A 13.7 isn't bad for a 428 Cobra Jet. Add the Drag-pack option (4.30 gears and a detroit-locker), traction, and my money's still on the SCJ.
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 07-24-2007 at 03:55 AM.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    I beat a highly modified 429 Boss Mustang with the almost stock 95 T/A I had. A young guy was driving his daddy's Mustang and thought starting a race will doing a brake stand was going to make him go fast!

After the race he pulled up next to me and asked what I was running because the Mustang has pulled 10's on a drag strip. I hope he didn't tell his dad he lost to an almost stock LT1 T/A!
    That story is horrible!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

He would be a great race for a stokc ls1 running a 13.6-13.7 but i ran a 12.8 so he lost by a good amount.

Thread Information