Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    doesn't the Hawk have 35 ADVERTISED more hp than the Z?

I know the ram air setup doesn't add much on a dyno, but the SLP catback and lid do, plus the hawk has better traction with the 275's and torsen diff.

Fixed it. You can't believe everything that's advertiesed or else everyone on here would be running a tornado. Bigger tires don't mean they make you faster.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

doesn't the Hawk have 35 rated more hp than the Z?

I know the ram air setup doesn't add much on a dyno, but the SLP catback and lid do, plus the hawk has better traction with the 275's and torsen diff.

catback and lid DO NOT add 35rwhp.
    all f-bodys more or less dyno the same.

black

Yes that was a 99 hardtop. I've had the issue since new.

Sure it was with Evan Smith driving, at a fast track, in great conditions, but if that car did that, isn't it safe to say, if you add the LS6 intake, catback, lid, torsen diff, bigger tires of a 02 hawk it would have posted a better time same day same driver? all th Z has over it is the probably 100lbs lighter weight.
    the 02 SS has a ls6 intake, catback, lid, torsen rear and bigger tires.
    it was still slower than the stripper Z/28
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i just have to ask...what difference does a 275 tire make vs a 245.? theyre both street radials....

the hawk is still heavy. the 1sc stripper is still king. (in my mind)

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

All cars run different times due to conditions driver and some cars do just put out a little more power than others, the only way to know who is faster is to race. The only way to be faster than a simular car is to drive better, so stop taking and start training, unless of course you have an auto in which case you can go kill yourself.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Fixed it. You can't believe everything that's advertiesed or else everyone on here would be running a tornado. Bigger tires don't mean they make you faster.

275 17's compared to 245 16's won't make a car faster, but they will give you better traction especially a 6spd. I put 275 Firehawks on my 95 T/A and they definitely improved traction!

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post

Notice I said 35rated horsepower, you can't tell me an SLP lid and filter, and catback won't add any power on a dyno, plus the ram air does add at higher speeds.

10's N/A

that 35 horsepower is rated flywheel not rear wheel. Remember this is the factory were talking about. And a lid and cat-back will show up on the dyno.

Black
    98 Trans Am

the 02 SS has a ls6 intake, catback, lid, torsen rear and bigger tires.
    it was still slower than the stripper Z/28

That "stripper" was run under perfect conditions, unlike the SS which only ran a tenth and 1/2mph slower at a known faster track, and in 35+ degree hotter weather, nor did that 01 have a lid or possibly the catback(it was the 325hp version) so which do you think would be the faster car?

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    that 35 horsepower is rated flywheel not rear wheel. Remember this is the factory were talking about. And a lid and cat-back will show up on the dyno.

All I'm saying is there is no way the majority of pre 01 "stripper" Z's or Forumulas are going to be faster cars than a 345hp SS or Hawk just because they are around 150lbs less.

Pewter
    2000 z28

That "stripper" was run under perfect conditions, unlike the SS which only ran a tenth and 1/2mph slower at a known faster track, and in 35+ degree hotter weather, nor did that 01 have a lid or possibly the catback(it was the 325hp version) so which do you think would be the faster car?
    youre switching issues here. i thought you wanted to talk about the hawk? its still heavier than the camaro.

they will probably run the similar times, and i would put my money on the stripper if the two cars were the same model years. there really isnt that much difference in power, and if you consider that the ss they tested was fully loaded, i will use that example.

ss weighs ~3700 pounds plus or minus a few and we will even say it has 20 more to the wheels.

the stripper weighs about ~3348 pounds.

i pick the stripper because that isnt nearly enough power to make up for the weight difference.

i wish i had some hard data but i dont. just the way i see it.

Pewter
    2000 z28

All I'm saying is there is no way the majority of pre 01 "stripper" Z's or Forumulas are going to be faster cars than a 345hp SS or Hawk just because they are around 150lbs less.
    they will run about the same times. i think we all have raced the different years, and i have beaten 01 trans ams and camaros. i have beaten a ws6, and an 01 corvette. i have a low low option camaro, the step up from the stripper.

its a drivers race through and through. my 6 speed vs. an 01 6 speed...they will pull if they can drive and have a lid and catback.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

not to mention first of all, that the 305 rating and the 325 rating are both bull shit, the ls1 in both years made 350hp and 355trq, so its a lighter car with the same hp, all ram air does is look cooler and the exhaust is said to be a 1.8hp gain, my car was said to make 305hp at the crank because its a normal Trans Am, stock it made 317rwhp, so you can through the 305 rating right out the window 317rwhp is more then 305 at the crank if you cant tell. A 01 and 02 wont get the same hp gain out of the ls6 intake manifold as the rest of us will, it only gives them 5more hp then the 98-00 because they have smaller cams than the other years.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

which gears does the vette have????????????? i raced and BEAT a c5 in my 99z 6 speed /borla/lid from a 3rd gear pull ......got about a half a car on him thru 3rd gear then he shut down ....dunno anything about the vette besides it looked completely stock......PROLLY an auto

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    and the exhaust is said to be a 1.8hp gain,
    I agree with all tha except that part, exhaust might only gain 1.8hp on a WS6Firehawk or SS that already has the SLP catback, but it's around 10 rear wheels on a Z, T/A, or Formula. Plus around 10hp from a lid.

black

my car weighs in at 3380. when stock it dynoed 298 and i put the hurt on alot of SSs, WS6s and HAWKS at the track.
    the 345 rating is bullshit. do some searching around this website and you will see all f-bodys dyno within 5 h.p. same model years of course.

you want to believe a magizine, go for it.

black

you need to get over that 345 h.p rating. it was all about marketing

Black
    98 Trans Am

you need to get over that 345 h.p rating. it was all about marketing

Does an LS1 with an SLP lid and catback gain around 20hp at the wheels?

Isn't that around 25-30 at the flywheel?

I think where the marketing is on LS1's is the ram air setup, which hardly adds anything on a dyno.

black

Does an LS1 with an SLP lid and catback gain around 20hp at the wheels?

Isn't that around 25-30 at the flywheel?

I think where the marketing is on LS1's is the ram air setup, which hardly adds anything on a dyno.
    reguardless of dyno numbers, real world testing has shown that on any given day, any model of f-body can win. there isnt one model that lords over the others.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

i beat my friends 99 vette auto with my 99 camaro m6. But i had a catback and lid at the time so i was a little bit over stock but that made up for the non ls6 manifold. I slowly pulled on the car from 90 on up. I had almost a car lentgh, i was not sure on how fast we were going but it was around 130ish.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

the '98 to '00 may have a slightly bigger cam but the '01 to '02 had a little bigger injectors and my hawk came with 3" exhaust did the ss have 3" also? I just had my cags deleted today does anyone know if that deletes tourqe management also? when i took it for a spin i noticed that my low traction light came on at the end of first and second when normally that doesn't happen, but i was driving it hard.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information