Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Light pewter metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Cam $350-390, valvesprings $350-380 (Patriot/PRC), pushrods $90-130, upgraded timing chain $40, seals/gaskets $50-80, oil/filter, labor/dyno tune - check with your local shops. That part varies greatly depending on who you know. The hotcam kit is the cheapest, check Scoggin Dickey.

Red
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    if you did do your homework, you would see that nobody runs the hotcam and a cam like the 224 is totally streetable.
    31hp on hotcam.....untuned. how much did your 224 get you. Plus i got the entire kit for less than $400 with valvesprings. How much much was your 224? Don't really care what others are running, my combo works for me.

I suggest YOU do your homework instead of spreading internet myths and gossips.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Question gm hotcam kit

Is the gm hotcam kit p/n 12480033 and if so, the best price i found was $419 for pace perf, anyone know of anyone cheaper?

That is also the cheapest I have seen the Hot cam. I agree it's a decent camshaft. We had a GM LT4 Hot cam in an otherwise stock LT1 longblock with just long tube headers and that car ran easy 12's at 108 mph all day long. Not bad at all. I would guess the Hot cam for the LS1 cars would also perform very well.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    31hp on hotcam.....untuned. how much did your 224 get you. Plus i got the entire kit for less than $400 with valvesprings. How much much was your 224? Don't really care what others are running, my combo works for me.

i gained 39 with a dyno graph to boot.

the 224 cam makes more power at peak and under the curve. it spanks the hot cam in all ways.
    the 224 cost me 335 and springs were another 200 or so because i wanted high lift behives.
    i could of easily got cheaper springs.
    so for not that much more money, a person will have great driveablity and make more power with a 224 compared to a hot cam, thats no myth.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That is also the cheapest I have seen the Hot cam. I agree it's a decent camshaft. We had a GM LT4 Hot cam in an otherwise stock LT1 longblock with just long tube headers and that car ran easy 12's at 108 mph all day long. Not bad at all. I would guess the Hot cam for the LS1 cars would also perform very well.
    go to ls1tech. thats a newbie starter cam. once they figure out there are better options, they ditch it.

black

There's a lot of ignorance here about cams.
    with you leading the pack.

go to ls1tech. thats a newbie starter cam. once they figure out there are better options, they ditch it.
    Nonsense,,,,it's a cam that works for most people. Sure there are better cams out there,,,you can make more power,,,of course the bigger you go the more potential for power you have. There are so many variables you could write a book on it,,,,it's been done many times,,,so to sit here and argue about which cam is better is really a moot point.

The fact is,,,the Hot cam can get the job done and makes most people happy. There is really nothing wrong with it,,,,,unless of course you want even more power and/or want to go faster,,,,but not everyone cares about that. Hell I had a stock LT1 running 12's with just the hot cam,,,it accomplished what I was after at the time.

So one person used the hot cam and made 31 HP more without a tune,,,,and you used the 224 cam and made 39 HP,,,,was that with a tune?

Even so,,,,,
    Wooopeeee,,,,8 HP difference is nothing to jump for joy about. If you are going to make a change make a big one. If I wanted more power than the GM hot cam can offer I would pass over the little 224 cam you have and go with something that would make more difference.

As a matter of fact,,,if this was a more serious car looking for max performance I would go with a custom grind for the combination I was working on,,,,it costs the same.

So yes I have to agree that alot of talk on the internet is Hype and Myth. You have to take it for what it's worth. I actually like to try things that some people say doesn't work,,,,believe it or not,,,I have found some things to work fine that were supposed to be a waste of money,,,,and I have found other things that people praise about to be total junk. The Hot cam was not one of those in my case.
    Maybe for someone else it was junk,,,because they were expecting too much,,,maybe expecting more than a cam like that can possibly deliver,,,,and there you have your hype or myth started about the camshaft being junk or not performing.

I could go on about things I currently use and make great power with that people still talk about on this website to this day and say it's not worth the money,,,don't get me wrong,,,there is alot of great info here, but I have found some things to be silly information. Don't be afraid to try something just because someone says it doesn't work for them,,,,,every combination reacts a little differently.

black

So one person used the hot cam and made 31 HP more without a tune,,,,and you used the 224 cam and made 39 HP,,,,was that with a tune?

Even so,,,,,
    Wooopeeee,,,,8 HP difference is nothing to jump for joy about. .
    theres more to h.p numbers than peak.
    under the curve power threwout the rpm range matters most.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

great point!

Red
    98 Z28

with you leading the pack.
    Uh ok...just because i love my hotcam i'm ignorant???????? I don't get these type of threads and i usually don't post in them. I got 31 untuned hp for about $300. I purchased it brand new on ls1tech.com from a member there. Once i get tuned, those numbers will go up. Really, if you've never owned a hotcam, i feel it's out of line to bash it unless you have some hard evidence to back up your claims. I've never bashed the 224, just said it wasn't the cam for me. Personal preference is one thing, ignorance is another.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I run a ThunderRacing 224/224 .563 112 LSA Cam in my camaro. No issues at all as a daily driver and still creates quite a bit of power. Check out thunderracing.com, they have everything you need.
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS M6
    Thunder Racing 224/224 .563/.563 112 LSA
    FLP longtube headers (No cats) and y pipe
    GMMG catback
    Underdrive pulley
    LS1 motorsports lid
    PRO 5.0 with Lous Short stick
    Lower control arms,adjustable panhard bar, subframe connectors.
    NITTO 555RII's

Light pewter metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Ok, here's where I think I can prove a point. If you want to go by dyno gains, my F14 highlift install along with a UDP and ported TB picked mine up 50 rwhp. I guarantee you can run low 12's with a hotcam, all bolt ons and 4.10's on drag radials. I'm talking with a 7.5 inch rear end. If you plan to stay stock headed, that cam does great, especially if you're on a budget. I've seen recent engine builds by magazines and TV shows using the frickin hotcam. If you want to make the point go to LS1tech. Of course, if you go to the right dyno/dyno operator, they can make you a hero.

Red
    98 Z28

I don't know why the hotcam receives so much negative press. It's as bolt on as it gets, you don't have to worry about spring swaps, and I got 31 freakin untuned hp. No drivieability issues at all. Once i get my LS6 intake and tune, those numbers will be going up. The hotcam is a great cam in my opinion and i'm happy with it in every way. I have NO desire to go to a bigger donkey dick cam.

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

TR224 is probably the best DD cam out there. Drives like stock and will still net some great rwhp.

Red
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by davered00ss View Post
    TR224 is probably the best DD cam out there. Drives like stock and will still net some great rwhp.
    2 words...spring swaps....every 10,000-30,000 miles. Hot cam = no spring swaps. I'll sacrifice the 8-10 hp for the peace of mind of not worrying about springs. Still, if you like it that's all that really matters.

theres more to h.p numbers than peak.
    under the curve power threwout the rpm range matters most.
    Exactly right, but no one here seems to care about that. Everyone just wants to beat their chest about the peak numbers they just made. Which is exactly what you did in your first comment that started this discussion.
    Fact is the dyno doesn't really mean squat. It's simply a tuning tool and nothing else. Every dyno is different, every operator is different, and not all of them use the same correction factor. To compare dyno numbers here is ignorant, but to be within 8 HP with your cam and the Hot cam says alot for the Hot cam, conisidering all the differences I just mentioned.

Red
    98 Z28

Exactly right, but no one here seems to care about that. Everyone just wants to beat their chest about the peak numbers they just made. Which is exactly what you did in your first comment that started this discussion.
    Fact is the dyno doesn't really mean squat. It's simply a tuning tool and nothing else. Every dyno is different, every operator is different, and not all of them use the same correction factor. To compare dyno numbers here is ignorant, but to be within 8 HP with your cam and the Hot cam says alot for the Hot cam, conisidering all the differences I just mentioned.

The hotcam is an Excellent cam. IMO one of the best bang for buck cams out there, bolt-on, good hp (within 10 hp of the 224)...another internet myth proven wrong.

black

The hotcam is an Excellent cam. IMO one of the best bang for buck cams out there, bolt-on, good hp (within 10 hp of the 224)...another internet myth proven wrong.
    why dont you line up with a 224 car with the same mods as you outside of cam.
    after you inhale the fumes from the 224 car, post back.

you did a dyno pull after you installed the cam yet no tuning?
    was it back to back pulls or just a single?

LOL, in all honesty though, we can't sit here and compare dyno numbers between 2 cams that are nearly similar for many of the reasons I just posted. Too many variables bewteen dynos, operators etc....

For a real HP comparison you would need to use the exact same vehicle, same dyno, same dyno operator, on the same day and swap the camshaft after a solid number was obtained, then strap it right back down and go at it again if you want to compare apples to apples,,,,,,otherwise the point is moot when it comes to dyno numbers.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information