79 34.96%
  • G5X3

37 16.37%
  • Other

38 16.81%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

You guy's are all so funny. I know the exhuast is what makes it loud, but if it's all in the exhuast, explain why my car with the x4 cam is louder than my buddy's car who has the same exhuast set up with stock cam? I know what you're gonna say, "it's the lope of the cam" Even on the road mines a little louder. But hey I guess I'm just a big idiot, the only way I've heard stock cams louder than my car was when they were running cutouts. But even then it was only on the highay, I was still louder at idle. So please inform me on the little secret everyone on here seems to know.
    99 z28 cam,m6 ,S60 4.56gears,Fast 90/90 full boltons,more mods one day.
    11.2 @ 123mph.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

I know idle and wot are two seperate things. I was just saying that my current set up is not loud enough. I never said that my cam was the reason why it isn't loud enough. I would like it louder at idle and louder at wot. That's all I was getting at. So if anyone has some suggestions, besides cut-outs, they would be appreciated. I was thinking of a true dual set-up, not quite sure if it would or wouldn't make a sound difference. THANKS!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by z28misfit View Post
    I know idle and wot are two seperate things. I was just saying that my current set up is not loud enough. I never said that my cam was the reason why it isn't loud enough. I would like it louder at idle and louder at wot. That's all I was getting at. So if anyone has some suggestions, besides cut-outs, they would be appreciated. I was thinking of a true dual set-up, not quite sure if it would or wouldn't make a sound difference. THANKS!
    If you want it loud and to sound mean put real duels with a pair of OneChamber DeltaFlow Race Mufflers from Flowmaster........Huh
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    1999 camaro

You guy's are all so funny. I know the exhuast is what makes it loud, but if it's all in the exhuast, explain why my car with the x4 cam is louder than my buddy's car who has the same exhuast set up with stock cam?.
    I am the car he is talking about. We both have 99 z28's pacset. lt's o/r/y and lm catback's. And they sound close but you can hear the difference. The cam has to make the car louder, at idle we know its all about the choppyness(if thats a word lol) but cruzing its just louder. A big ole cam in an ls1 is one sweet a$$ sound thats forsure!

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by 01mmmz28 View Post
    ^I seen it in one video on tech and that thing was ungodly. guy made 460rwhp cam only !!!!! or atleast that is what he said. sounded freakish.
    not at the wheels maybe the crank...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    not at the wheels maybe the crank...
    yeah at crank, a few bolts on and a cam is 380rwhp

red
    1994 Camaro Z28

Whoa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Loud is in the exhaust...not the cam.

Unless you are talking about the lope.
    Mine is a little rough with the cutouts open.
    248/254 629/622 113
    Now THAT'S a cam!!!!!!

red
    1994 Camaro Z28

Lift is 793?????????

Quote Originally Posted by import slayer View Post
    The T-rex is the best cam I have ever used. I DD mine and it pulls like a fuckin Fraight train. I went through 3 cams before I got the rex and I must say that it pulls harder and sounds meaner than the other 3 that I have had before it. As far as the GODZILLA cam and its specs are it is a 275/286 793/793 108. ( Good luck running that in a stock bottom end). There is a clip of it in a 408 motor, go to LS1tech and in the LS1-LS6 page do a search for meanest sounding cam and I think the clip is on the 4th or 5th page. Hearing it idle is un-real. You'll love it. But in order to run the godzilla cam you need more cubes than 346.
    Dang I never saw a cam with that much lift in an LS.....must really kick butt if u can keep rockers/pushrods from breaking

red
    1994 Camaro Z28

More on LSA

I thought the lower the lsa the more aggressive the cam is versus the higher the lsa the more streetable it is. Consider the stock cam in ls1 cars. They aren't ground on 109 or even a 112. I believe they are around a 115 to 117lsa. Not 100% sure though.
    LSA changes, while maintaining the same duration , affect overlap of intake/exhaust valve opening. Briefly,more overlap (narrower LSA) favors upper rpm torque, thus horsepower. However, this compromises mid range torque as a result of mixture "blow through" which results in lower compression pressure. Typically, "high mid range torque" biased camshafts have greater LSA.. 111-117, for instance.

Camshaft designers balance the effectiveness of various lift/duration/LSA combinations to achieve desired emissions, fuel efficiency and performance. One strategy is to use higher lift while holding durations constant...and engineering different lobe profiles which roller followers make possible.

anybody has the spec for G5X4? i went to lgmotorsports.com and it is a mystery cam comp special grind. i run g5x4, i know it's a big cam good for my 402, just curious of the specs

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It isn't huge in a 402. It is pretty freaking big in the LS1 though.
    240/240'ish' at around 610 lift.
    Yours should run great and drive very nicely with that cam.
    Although it shouldn't have a really crazy lope.

Hell...mine isn't even that big in a 402.

thanks for the specs mate, yeah it drives fast as fxxxx took a cruise out today with my wife, oh yeah!

red
    1994 Camaro Z28

Listen to all the comments re: LSA.....street driver needs mid range torque even sacrificing some ultimate top end HP....so 114-ish LSA would be a good compromise--a little too conservative is better on the street than too radical.
    Also as mentioned, carefully check your "true" valve to piston clearance...not at TDC. but by slowly rotating the engine just before and after TDC, and checking at small increments of rotation..especially if you retard the cam...exhaust valves have a nasty habit of hitting with some cam profiles if extra reliefs are not cut into the pistons. Good rule of thumb... .120" to be safe..allowing for any valve float etc.
    Last edited by chevyguy8413; 03-17-2007 at 05:09 PM. Reason: rewriting

red
    1994 Camaro Z28

LSA Tech...

I thought the lower the lsa the more aggressive the cam is versus the higher the lsa the more streetable it is. Consider the stock cam in ls1 cars. They aren't ground on 109 or even a 112. I believe they are around a 115 to 117lsa. Not 100% sure though.
    What you say is correct. LSA , or its related specification... overlap..directly affect the shape and position (rpm-wise) of the torque curve. Lower LSA with a given duration will result in greater overlap...and essentially moves the torque curve peak to higher rpm's...thus, potentially higher BHP . Conversely, greater LSA favors mid range torque as less "blow through" of the combustion mixture occurs, and higher cylinder pressures result. To be on the safe side, most OEM cams, even high performance, lean toward the higher side of LSA...114'ish or more.

How much do these big cams affect the reliability of the LS1? If I was to install one(say a T-rex for example) on a good running 80-100k mile car would I have to worry too much about a major engine failure? Any opinions on this would be highly appreciated.

good question. T-rex on LS1 block

black
    1999 camaro

Well I posted a clip of my car w/ the x4.....Let me know what you guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by T's99BlackLs1 View Post
    Well I posted a clip of my car w/ the x4.....Let me know what you guys think.
    link me to the video?

black
    1999 camaro

gracias...!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information