BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona Hemi 5.7

I wanted to see what the fuss was all about with the Hemi so I went to dodge dealership and test drove one. The salesman was cool he let me hit hard it also had a magna flow exhaust on it. It was used with 14,000 on it. Let me be the first to tell you guys it is a piece of shit the dodge 5.7 and the chevy 5.7 are the differance between day and night! The hemi didnt even pin me to my seats so i know it cant hang wit my ss for a fact that car is so over hyped and the exhaust was not really aggressive sounding for a magna flow v8 it sounded more like a honda v6 and the 350 hp they rate the hemi on may be underated because it was hella slow compared to my 02 ss the guy asked if i wanted to trade my car and buy it i looked at him got in my car raised my motor and said what do you think and peeled off for about 100ft straight smoking the tires the guy just looked and put his head down the hemi is a over rated over hyped piece of garbage

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Well, for a big, heavy 4-door sedan the times aren't that bad. But no, the advertised times for them don't seem in line with 350hp.

IIRC the 1/4 mile time is in the mid 14's, and 0-60 is in the mid to low 6 second range.

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

u gotta good point i forgot the wieght issue!!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

the HUGE weight issue... 4200lbs... compared to your SS's 3400LBS (this are rough guestimates)

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by hmorris7000 View Post
    I wanted to see what the fuss was all about with the Hemi so I went to dodge dealership and test drove one. The salesman was cool he let me hit hard it also had a magna flow exhaust on it. It was used with 14,000 on it. Let me be the first to tell you guys it is a piece of shit the dodge 5.7 and the chevy 5.7 are the differance between day and night! The hemi didnt even pin me to my seats so i know it cant hang wit my ss for a fact that car is so over hyped and the exhaust was not really aggressive sounding for a magna flow v8 it sounded more like a honda v6 and the 350 hp they rate the hemi on may be underated because it was hella slow compared to my 02 ss the guy asked if i wanted to trade my car and buy it i looked at him got in my car raised my motor and said what do you think and peeled off for about 100ft straight smoking the tires the guy just looked and put his head down the hemi is a over rated over hyped piece of garbage
    I agree with other posters that the reason it felt slower was the weight difference. To be honest, I was able to test drive an SRT-8 Charger once, and it didn't feel dramatically faster than my Z28. Why? Weight.

I guarantee if you put the 5.7 Hemi in your Camaro, it would haul ass too. I may be baised though since I'm a former Hemi owner lol.

I wouldn't call the Hemi an over-hyped piece of garbage, it just depends what they put it in. I guarantee if they put the LS1 into a 4 door sedan, it wouldn't perform the way it did in the Camaro, Firebird and Corvette. On the flip side, Dodge does not make a light weight modern muscle car that weighs 3500lbs. So, its very difficult to do a side by side comparison.

A better comparison for the Hemi is to compare a 5.7 Ram vs. a 6.0L Vortec Max Silverado. With first hand knowledge, I can tell you it is dead even. Both motors produce similar power and torque ratings and the vehicles are close in weight.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post

I wouldn't call the Hemi an over-hyped piece of garbage, it just depends what they put it in. I guarantee if they put the LS1 into a 4 door sedan, it wouldn't perform the way it did in the Camaro, Firebird and Corvette. On the flip side, Dodge does not make a light weight modern muscle car that weighs 3500lbs. So, its very difficult to do a side by side comparison.
    You forget... they are close to actually Making... a new Challenger... which would be direct competition for the NEW Camaro...and the current Mustang...and it will carry the same HEMI engine...and weight about the same as the other cars... 3500lbs... (hopefully they don't turn it into a big fat pig...and they actually MAKE it)

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    You forget... they are close to actually Making... a new Challenger... which would be direct competition for the NEW Camaro...and the current Mustang...and it will carry the same HEMI engine...and weight about the same as the other cars... 3500lbs... (hopefully they don't turn it into a big fat pig...and they actually MAKE it)
    I am very familiar with it. The problem is, its not on the market yet. So, comparing a 3500lb Camaro to a 4,000+lb four door sedan is an apples to oranges comparison.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I am very familiar with it. The problem is, its not on the market yet. So, comparing a 3500lb Camaro to a 4,000+lb four door sedan is an apples to oranges comparison.
    Very true...but wouldn't it be great when it comes out... LOL

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Very true...but wouldn't it be great when it comes out... LOL
    Most definitely. The problem is, there won't be crap for aftermarket stuff. I GUARANTEE the day the Camaro comes out, there will be headers, cams, custom tunes and suspension parts available. It will take at least six months for half of the stuff to reach the Challenger - and this is coming from a Dodge guy.

Looks-wise, I like the Challenger better than the Camaro or Mustang. In regards to modification, I bet the Camaro and Mustang will beat it hands down.

Let's put it this way. The Hemi has been out for almost 5 years, and they still do not have custom tunes available. If you have a Hemi and want a big cam, you need an SMT-6 to tune it at your own risk. There aren't lots of speed shops specializing in Hemi motors. To my knowledge, one of the best is the Hemi Shop in Texas. They've been dropping 6.1 Hemi's into Rams for a couple years now. They even have a 426 stroker running around cloaked in a Rumble Bee.

But whenever I approached a shop about doing a cam swap or tuning my Ram, I was met with "I can't do that" or "We can't crack the PCM." That turned me off to the brand.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Most definitely. The problem is, there won't be crap for aftermarket stuff. I GUARANTEE the day the Camaro comes out, there will be headers, cams, custom tunes and suspension parts available. It will take at least six months for half of the stuff to reach the Challenger - and this is coming from a Dodge guy.

Looks-wise, I like the Challenger better than the Camaro or Mustang. In regards to modification, I bet the Camaro and Mustang will beat it hands down.

Let's put it this way. The Hemi has been out for almost 5 years, and they still do not have custom tunes available. If you have a Hemi and want a big cam, you need an SMT-6 to tune it at your own risk. There aren't lots of speed shops specializing in Hemi motors. To my knowledge, one of the best is the Hemi Shop in Texas. They've been dropping 6.1 Hemi's into Rams for a couple years now. They even have a 426 stroker running around cloaked in a Rumble Bee.

But whenever I approached a shop about doing a cam swap or tuning my Ram, I was met with "I can't do that" or "We can't crack the PCM." That turned me off to the brand.
    I bet that if they get a Muscle car... people will jump on the chance to make more performance parts

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

I bet that if they get a Muscle car... people will jump on the chance to make more performance parts
    Maybe. I'm sure eventually parts will come out, but I highly doubt the Challenger will be mass produced like the Mustang. From what I've heard, there will be a 5.7L and a 6.1 (some rumors say a 6.4 Hemi) SRT-like model. Either way, Chrysler closely guards the PCM on their vehicles.

The only Dodge/Chrysler vehicle that can be modified easily is the Cummins powered heavy duty truck line. That's it. Once, I was at a truck even at a local dealership and they had a turbo manufacturer there. I asked him if they planned on a turbo for the Hemi. His exact words were "No, Dodge has been completely non-responsive to our requests for help with the PCM, tuning and other engineering issues." On the flip side, he said GM and Ford sent them models of vehicles that aren't even on the market yet, so they can design and test aftermarket products for it. That way, when the vehicles do come out, the parts are available almost immediately.

Like many Dodge vehicles, it will be bad ass off the showroom floor, but once the modding begins, it falls behind GM and Ford.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Maybe. I'm sure eventually parts will come out, but I highly doubt the Challenger will be mass produced like the Mustang. From what I've heard, there will be a 5.7L and a 6.1 (some rumors say a 6.4 Hemi) SRT-like model. Either way, Chrysler closely guards the PCM on their vehicles.

The only Dodge/Chrysler vehicle that can be modified easily is the Cummins powered heavy duty truck line. That's it. Once, I was at a truck even at a local dealership and they had a turbo manufacturer there. I asked him if they planned on a turbo for the Hemi. His exact words were "No, Dodge has been completely non-responsive to our requests for help with the PCM, tuning and other engineering issues." On the flip side, he said GM and Ford sent them models of vehicles that aren't even on the market yet, so they can design and test aftermarket products for it. That way, when the vehicles do come out, the parts are available almost immediately.

Like many Dodge vehicles, it will be bad ass off the showroom floor, but once the modding begins, it falls behind GM and Ford.
    POO that sucks... but there's enough techno people out there... that there's someone bound to break the bonds of the Dodge PCM...and such...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

POO that sucks... but there's enough techno people out there... that there's someone bound to break the bonds of the Dodge PCM...and such...
    I'm not trying to rain on the parade or anything, but I would doubt it. I had a 2004 Ram Hemi for over 3 years, and the closest programming software we had were Hypertech and Superchips.

I'm not saying you can't make it fast - there are a couple regular cab shortbed Hemi trucks running low 13's on motor only. But the tuning issues limit the potential.

There is a company that offers "flashes" to the PCM, but it only advances timing, raises the idle, and tunes for higher octane. They cannot delete the rear O2 sensors, so running catless and with LT's is a nightmare. Adjusting for a larger cam can only be done with a standalone PCM.
    Last edited by patricksd; 07-04-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Angry Challenger could be on back burner

Well sorry to burst everyone's buble, but Benz just unloaded Dodge/Chrysler to an American investment group that is all about cost cutting in order to improve profits. So what this means is that the Challenger probably won't come out in 09. We'll probably be lucky if it comes out at all. It is too bad that the EPA has forced the muscle car out of the market. By 2025 cars/trucks must get 35mpg. That means no more muscle runnin' the streets. I think this global warming is a crock. We only have one hundred years of recorded weather data. How on earth can you tell me that we are causing global warming when the planet has gone through dramatic climate changes for billions of years. Screw the tree huggin' greenies, GIVE ME MUSCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's too bad that the Challenger is going to slide to the back burner in order to improve Dodge/Chrysler's profits. Don't these guys who run the company make millions of dollars. How about cutting thier salaries, so that the consumer can get thier hands on sick cars and trucks. As for Dodge/Chrysler keeping thier ECU's under wraps is bogus. I want to make mine go faster than stock. And isn't more fun to modify your ride so that it is YOURS and is different from someone else's? I just wish I was born in the 60's. Oh Well!!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7literMustangEater View Post
    Well sorry to burst everyone's buble, but Benz just unloaded Dodge/Chrysler to an American investment group that is all about cost cutting in order to improve profits. So what this means is that the Challenger probably won't come out in 09. We'll probably be lucky if it comes out at all. It is too bad that the EPA has forced the muscle car out of the market. By 2025 cars/trucks must get 35mpg. That means no more muscle runnin' the streets. I think this global warming is a crock. We only have one hundred years of recorded weather data. How on earth can you tell me that we are causing global warming when the planet has gone through dramatic climate changes for billions of years. Screw the tree huggin' greenies, GIVE ME MUSCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's too bad that the Challenger is going to slide to the back burner in order to improve Dodge/Chrysler's profits. Don't these guys who run the company make millions of dollars. How about cutting thier salaries, so that the consumer can get thier hands on sick cars and trucks. As for Dodge/Chrysler keeping thier ECU's under wraps is bogus. I want to make mine go faster than stock. And isn't more fun to modify your ride so that it is YOURS and is different from someone else's? I just wish I was born in the 60's. Oh Well!!!!!
    I hate to say this, but there are pictures of the Challenger being built already. I'm not sure if its this forum - or another LS forum - but they have pictures of multiple ones on the assembly line. I know for a fact Chrysler re-tooled some plants to handle the building of the Challenger. Do you honestly believe they would pour millions of dollars into setting up plants to build the car and then stop? Believe it or not, the Challenger is what has people talking about Dodge again. Great publicity=sales.

And, Chrysler being owned by Cerebus is a GOOD thing. Daimler-Benz was holding the company back, forcing them to cut new programs, etc. Ask any diehard Mopar guy and he'll tell you the breakup of Chrysler and Daimler is the best thing that's happened in years.

I hate the tree-hugging stuff too. But realize this, people want more horsepower. The government wants better fuel economy. Know what this means? Better performing cars with better gas mileage. Look at a stock LS1 and an old school muscle car. I bet the 1/4 mile times are very simliar, yet the LS1 gets significantly better gas mileage.

The beauty of technological advancement.

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Cost Cutting

I hate to say this, but there are pictures of the Challenger being built already. I'm not sure if its this forum - or another LS forum - but they have pictures of multiple ones on the assembly line. I know for a fact Chrysler re-tooled some plants to handle the building of the Challenger. Do you honestly believe they would pour millions of dollars into setting up plants to build the car and then stop? Believe it or not, the Challenger is what has people talking about Dodge again. Great publicity=sales.

And, Chrysler being owned by Cerebus is a GOOD thing. Daimler-Benz was holding the company back, forcing them to cut new programs, etc. Ask any diehard Mopar guy and he'll tell you the breakup of Chrysler and Daimler is the best thing that's happened in years.

I hate the tree-hugging stuff too. But realize this, people want more horsepower. The government wants better fuel economy. Know what this means? Better performing cars with better gas mileage. Look at a stock LS1 and an old school muscle car. I bet the 1/4 mile times are very simliar, yet the LS1 gets significantly better gas mileage.

The beauty of technological advancement.
    Yes CEREBUS would hold the Challenger back because like I mentioned, COST CUTTING. Millions of dollars spent to produce a car when sales for Chrysler/Dodge are already stagnant. Plus when you put a moniker such as the CHARGER on a car, you don't make it a 4 door sedan. MOPAR is a far cry from what they used to be in the 60's and 70's. Just remeber CEREBUS is known for coming in and laying off employees and getting rid of products that have cost more than what has been made. Also according to a major study performed by GM more people are now buying 4 cylinder cars due to thier fuel efficiency. Most guys who would by the Challenger are guys like us who really don't have a ton of money and with the way gas prices are going is it worth brining a muscle car out when profits are red and no where close to being in the black.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Yes CEREBUS would hold the Challenger back because like I mentioned, COST CUTTING. Millions of dollars spent to produce a car when sales for Chrysler/Dodge are already stagnant. Plus when you put a moniker such as the CHARGER on a car, you don't make it a 4 door sedan. MOPAR is a far cry from what they used to be in the 60's and 70's. Just remeber CEREBUS is known for coming in and laying off employees and getting rid of products that have cost more than what has been made. Also according to a major study performed by GM more people are now buying 4 cylinder cars due to thier fuel efficiency. Most guys who would by the Challenger are guys like us who really don't have a ton of money and with the way gas prices are going is it worth brining a muscle car out when profits are red and no where close to being in the black.
    Read this article when you get a chance:

http://allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

I bet my car that Dodge builds the Challenger. Just as I would bet GM builds the Camaro. You forget that Dodge was already running lean under the ownership of Daimler. Financially, Chrysler is losing less money than Ford and GM, and since it is smaller, is better equipped to retool and re-organize than a giant like GM.

You are right, most people that buy the Challenger are from the same demographics as someone who would buy a Camaro or Mustang. But I bet if we take a poll on here, we'll find whether gas is $3.00 a gallon or $3.25, enthusiasts are still driving their Camaros.

Do I see the Challenger selling more than the Mustang? Nope. Do I see the Camaro selling more than the Mustang? Nope. Are people going to flock to GM and Dodge dealerships to buy 400HP 2-door coupes? Not a chance. Its a niche product designed to get people excited about the brand, offer enthusiasts what they want, and market. Nothing more, nothing less.

If someone wants fuel economy, every brand on the planet offers several models that get good gas mileage. 2 door coupes are not practical cars for anything other than status and going fast. If someone wants 40+ mpg, buy a Toyota. If you need to tow a boat, buy a truck. If you have 5 kids and need to shuffle them to an from soccer practice, get an SUV or minivan.

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Read this article when you get a chance:

http://allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

I bet my car that Dodge builds the Challenger. Just as I would bet GM builds the Camaro. You forget that Dodge was already running lean under the ownership of Daimler. Financially, Chrysler is losing less money than Ford and GM, and since it is smaller, is better equipped to retool and re-organize than a giant like GM.

You are right, most people that buy the Challenger are from the same demographics as someone who would buy a Camaro or Mustang. But I bet if we take a poll on here, we'll find whether gas is $3.00 a gallon or $3.25, enthusiasts are still driving their Camaros.

Do I see the Challenger selling more than the Mustang? Nope. Do I see the Camaro selling more than the Mustang? Nope. Are people going to flock to GM and Dodge dealerships to buy 400HP 2-door coupes? Not a chance. Its a niche product designed to get people excited about the brand, offer enthusiasts what they want, and market. Nothing more, nothing less.

If someone wants fuel economy, every brand on the planet offers several models that get good gas mileage. 2 door coupes are not practical cars for anything other than status and going fast. If someone wants 40+ mpg, buy a Toyota. If you need to tow a boat, buy a truck. If you have 5 kids and need to shuffle them to an from soccer practice, get an SUV or minivan.
    Good article man!!!! I'm glad that Dodge will be putting it out. I'm just worried that it will have a run like the new GTO. I'm still a little worried that CEREBUS has bought Chrysler/Dodge, just because of thier cost cutting ways. I don't think I would bet my car though (I love my BABY!!!!) Maybe we'll get lucky and the buyout will be a good thing. Thanks for the article. As to your fuel economy point many manufacturers are planning on brining many more fuel efficient 4 cylinder cars to market. I understand your point though that there is a niche for these cars. I just have one final word; Screw FORD and the Mustang!!!!!!!!! Everyone and thier grandmother own one and I see it everyday at least a dozen or more times. I really don't understand the infatuation with this car. I personally think they are ugly and not stylish. I hope FORD goes belly up with thier finiancial woes. I have heard that the Ford family is looking to sell the company. Henry Ford will roll in his grave if they do that. Again thanks for the article man, it was really informative.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Good article man!!!! I'm glad that Dodge will be putting it out. I'm just worried that it will have a run like the new GTO. I'm still a little worried that CEREBUS has bought Chrysler/Dodge, just because of thier cost cutting ways. I don't think I would bet my car though (I love my BABY!!!!) Maybe we'll get lucky and the buyout will be a good thing. Thanks for the article. As to your fuel economy point many manufacturers are planning on brining many more fuel efficient 4 cylinder cars to market. I understand your point though that there is a niche for these cars. I just have one final word; Screw FORD and the Mustang!!!!!!!!! Everyone and thier grandmother own one and I see it everyday at least a dozen or more times. I really don't understand the infatuation with this car. I personally think they are ugly and not stylish. I hope FORD goes belly up with thier finiancial woes. I have heard that the Ford family is looking to sell the company. Henry Ford will roll in his grave if they do that. Again thanks for the article man, it was really informative.
    No problem! Allpar.com is one of the best authorities on the web for Chrysler stuff. I'm a Dodge man at heart, I can't lie. Its just sad to see what Daimler did to them since 1998. For example, Chrysler, in less than a year built the ME412 concept (http://allpar.com/cars/me412.html) which was far superior to the Mercedes SLR McLaren. It weighed 2,880 lbs and had 850 HP and 850 ft/lbs of torque - so guess what Daimler did? They scrapped the project. Complete B.S.

Mercedes was always of the opinion that it wanted to siphon off Chrsyler's ingenuity to bolster their profits, while at the same time not offering their more efficient technology for use in Chrysler vehicles - because God knows if they did that, Mercedes would lose some "prestige."
    Last edited by patricksd; 07-12-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Thread Information