Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: cobra

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by ZAPFOOL!! View Post
    these mod motors love boost

I would love to have a Lightning truck

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Hey why do you have three identities listed?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Hey why do you have three identities listed?

changed names twice....aka listed so people will know who it is

black, and black
    04 M6

cobra

i think this thread has went astray

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    The '01-02 Cobra's are not all what many think. I notice for some reason people seemed to be intimidated by them. They are very respectable, average 13.60s-13.80s @ 103-104.5, but are not quite up their with the stronger LS1's, plus they respond horribly to minor bolt-ons. Those cammers need boost to run with bolt-on LS1's.
    I know. I have noticed that also. I had an 01 Cobra will bolt-ons and gears, that thing would get off like rudolph. Not like my LS1 though, but top end it would hit 150+ easy and hauled ass off the line. The late torque hit on those motors allowed for gravy train launches. With my H/C LS1, it is make or break in the first 60 ft. with so much power on tap on the low end.

From a roll, she would shit and git, no wheelspin, maybe roll'em a line in second. If I wanted to burn'em off, I would have to drop the hammer around 4K to get the party started. With the Z I merely have to stab the pedal anywhere in first or second, no revving required. Roll on power

That 7K redline sure helped me to put an F-bod or two in the rear view in third and fourth gear, and countless other Mustangs.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    99-01 Cobras have a engine specifically for those years yes?
    Mach 1s are the 03 cobra without the charger yes?

Oh and I dont think the mach 1s look all that great at all. Those fucking wheels. Ugh.
    +1 Those wheels look like ass. They should have went with a black chrome (or chrome) wheel that looks similar, but not exactly like the old mach1 wheels.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I know. I have noticed that also. I had an 01 Cobra will bolt-ons and gears, that thing would get off like rudolph. Not like my LS1 though, but top end it would hit 150+ easy and hauled ass off the line. The late torque hit on those motors allowed for gravy train launches. With my H/C LS1, it is make or break in the first 60 ft. with so much power on tap on the low end.

From a roll, she would shit and git, no wheelspin, maybe roll'em a line in second. If I wanted to burn'em off, I would have to drop the hammer around 4K to get the party started. With the Z I merely have to stab the pedal anywhere in first or second, no revving required. Roll on power

That 7K redline sure helped me to put an F-bod or two in the rear view in third and fourth gear, and countless other Mustangs.
    Yeah I always pay close attention to my competition, and it included many Cobra's from '93-'04. I've seen numerous guys over the years snap the 8.8's apart in the mod-cobra's because of 4k+rpm launches. The low-end torque on them does suck, but then again, what do you expect from 281-cubic inches and in a curb weight of 3600+lbs. My LT1's have never had a problem with them on the bottom, but have had to chase a few up top in the past, and those were boosted ones. I've never lost to a bolt-on Cobra.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    your gonna fuck him up...bolt on ls1 goats arent nothing to shake a stick at

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

You ever thought about doing some kind of weight reduction on your GTO to trim some fat?

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Yeah I always pay close attention to my competition, and it included many Cobra's from '93-'04. I've seen numerous guys over the years snap the 8.8's apart in the mod-cobra's because of 4k+rpm launches. The low-end torque on them does suck, but then again, what do you expect from 281-cubic inches and in a curb weight of 3600+lbs. My LT1's have never had a problem with them on the bottom, but have had to chase a few up top in the past, and those were boosted ones. I've never lost to a bolt-on Cobra.

I had to put those aluminum diff bushings on the IRS, and an FR500 crossbrace. Otherwise it would wheel hop your guts to pieces. I never took it to the track, all my spinning and racing was on the street with that thing. Man, it loved some high speed curve action. The 99 had the 28 spline axles I think, the first year of the IRS. The 01 has the 31 spline axles, just like the 03-04. Don't quote me on that, but I think I read that somewhere. I never counted the splines on it when I slapped the 3.73's in her pussy. <---Now that job was a true pain in the ass. I would rather do a head/cam swap on an LS1 F-bod.

Either way, the IRS needs to be replaced before serious track action takes place.

Dan95
    where the hell is the race?

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I had to put those aluminum diff bushings on the IRS, and an FR500 crossbrace. Otherwise it would wheel hop your guts to pieces. I never took it to the track, all my spinning and racing was on the street with that thing. Man, it loved some high speed curve action. The 99 had the 28 spline axles I think, the first year of the IRS. The 01 has the 31 spline axles, just like the 03-04. Don't quote me on that, but I think I read that somewhere. I never counted the splines on it when I slapped the 3.73's in her pussy. <---Now that job was a true pain in the ass. I would rather do a head/cam swap on an LS1 F-bod.

Either way, the IRS needs to be replaced before serious track action takes place.
    Well i'm glad you learned from your mistakes and joined the F-body family.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    where the hell is the race?
    I agree...what happened?

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Was I wrong about the Mach 1/ 2001 Cobra?
    Yes, you are wrong about the Mach 1 / 2001 Cobra. Major differences include...

Heads
    Camshaft
    Cams
    Rear axle
    gearing (ok, not major, but different)
    They have similar pistons/rods, and essentially the same engine block.

Peak power between the two isn't all that different close, though the Mach 1 has a much better power curve. I would suggest that the Mach 1 motor is as much of an advance over the previous years N/A Cobra motor as the LT1 was over the L98.

Yeah, this guy is freakin' killing me with this. Out of what seems to be hundreds of Mustang forums out there, he chooses to debate with the GM guys on our forum. Pretty wierd...
    "Our" Forum? Give me a break. I was debating on this Forum many, many moons ago - before I had an LS1, while I had an LS1, and after I sold my LS1.

BTW, what LS1 do you own?

... I've never lost to a bolt-on Cobra.
    What do you run? There are some pretty quick 'bolt-on' n/a Cobras and Mach 1s out there.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

11/12, Ill see what the schedule says Bob, it aint out yet. Ill be there If I can. Ill roll down w/ my boat if there's any open racing.

Thread went astray, apparently as has the race....
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

No open racing on an NMRA weekend. Give me a shout if you're going to make it out.

Bob

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Just get a turbo for that Goat and you won't have to worry about what year Cobra it is. I saw a newer GTO at the track a while ago trapping 140MPH with a single turbo set up.
    2002 SS M6 Convertible

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Redegal View Post
    Just get a turbo for that Goat and you won't have to worry about what year Cobra it is. I saw a newer GTO at the track a while ago trapping 140MPH with a single turbo set up.
    And god only knows what else!!!! 140, yea there's about 20G in that setup, and thats bein conservative.
    BTW, that pic in your sig, from Island isnt it....

I figured not Bob. I'll still shoot down if I'm off. Its aint that far.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Yeah that's Island, I'm only about 20 Min from there. I'm gonna try and get back there soon myself.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information