Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

yellow
    2002 CETA

I will get you his phone # and give me your e-mail address and I will send you some pics that he sent me! I actually got his e-mail from one of the moderators on this site after posting a wanted to buy for slp vert sfc!

Sounds good, I sent you a pm,,,,thanks again, Larry.

Well, bolt in SFC for a 70's car with a nice heavy frame rails under them to bolt to is one thing, but bolting SFC to a 4th gen won't do much IMO because you are bolting it to sheet metal, it will not sustain the stress bolted to sheet metal like it would with weld in pads like the BMRs for a long amount of time and miles. There's no grinding need, just put them in place, spot weld them on, and then come back a run a nice bead with a wire feed, ..wire brush the welds off and then spray a coat of primer and same color paint as the body.
    The BMRs come in red, and my car was red, and it looks like they came factory that way
    Rob
    '79 10th Anniv. T/A 6.6 4-spd, 25k miles
    '89 20th Anniv. Turbo T/A #426 stock, 15k original miles.
    '99 30th Anniv. T/A Vert 1 of 535.
    '87 Grand National lil V6 7.23@96mph.
    '95 Trans Am Convertible LT1 a few mods
    '94 Silverado LT4 w/LPE 211/219, LTs

Ya but welding to mine is just not an option for me. Even with preventative measures I can see it causing rust problems down the road. Plus matching paint is not that easy, and I would have to paint the frame connectors navy blue metallic to match the car and not be noticable, thats bad enough,,,but to grind and weld on a perfectly good car makes me cringe. Now if it were rusty and needed floor pan replacement, I wouldn't mind so much. But I go out of my way buying old cars traveling accross the country to find rust free examples (all 10 of them) and the last thing I want to do to a nice rust free car is cut and weld on it,,,,ouch. And this 02 SS vert is no exception. Although not old (yet) I still care for it in the same manor.
    For a guy like me that wants to preserve a rare car and doesn't do any autocrossing with it,,,the bolt ins will do just fine. Easily removed with no grinding on the paint, possibly minor touch up from scratches, thats about it. And I haven't even decided yet if I am going to do that,,,the car feels plenty ridged to me for what I do. Larry.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well then dont do it. but i pray that you don't drive it much ..since your frame WILL twist and your gaps will become uneven and wider. and will cause other problems. i'm not comming down on you, but if you want to keep your beautiful car in the great shape it is in, i'd suggest weld ons. but its entirely up to you.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Don't the "bolt-on" SFCs require DRILLING holes??

IMO, bolt-on SFCs are only a temporary solution. ALL high stress joints will loosen over time and you'll loose the rigidity that the SFCs provides (best case) and possibly elongate any frame holes (worst case). While I can appreciate the "trailer queen" attitude about preserving the originality of a car (mine's one of 339 and only has 14,600 miles so far), improving the car to eliminate factory weaknesses and prolong it's life trumps having correct chalk marks and paint swipes any day. I seriously doubt my welded-in KBDDSFCs that were installed BEFORE the chassis was worn out to the point of shakes and rattles will ever hurt it's resale value.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

I don't believe the gaps and such will do anything at all without connectors installed. Thats more heresay than anything else.

My 70 Formula has never had them, My 97 Z28 vert has never had them either,,,the door gaps are just fine with no ill effects. All 3 of my 71-72 Novas's never had them either,,,,door gaps are beautiful as well.

My wife drives the 97 Z vert everyday with 93,000 on the clock, the doors still shut on their own without effort.

So I don't feel the need to install them on the 02 SS vert either. No need to stiffen the chassis for daily street driving in my opinion. These cars are better than most people think in that department. I think people watch too much TV and advertisements.

yellow
    2002 CETA

I know for a fact that these don't require any drilling because I wouldn't have bought them if they did. They bolt onto the a frames and existing holes. When I get them on I'll post pictures and Don did tell me to use locktite on certain bolts and to check them at every oil change because they can loosen up!

Quote Originally Posted by mr.yellow View Post
    I know for a fact that these don't require any drilling because I wouldn't have bought them if they did. They bolt onto the a frames and existing holes. When I get them on I'll post pictures and Don did tell me to use locktite on certain bolts and to check them at every oil change because they can loosen up!
    Good to know,,,thanks

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

vert bolt on sfc's

My Yellow, I sent you a pm too, would luv this info has well, thanks
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

yellow
    2002 CETA

Sent! Let me know if you need anything else!

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thanks Mr. Yellow!

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Firebirdjones,

I hear ya. I used to say "I will not weld on my frame" also. However, I just loved the BMR SFCs when I saw them on a fbody. I got a professional install and am QUITE happy. No more creeks, no more under carriage noise, and no more flex. My welds are totally professional and not globbed up shit. It was the absolute best mod I've done. I had it done BEFORE my power upgrades and would consider it one of those necessary mods for a vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    Firebirdjones,

I hear ya. I used to say "I will not weld on my frame" also. However, I just loved the BMR SFCs when I saw them on a fbody. I got a professional install and am QUITE happy. No more creeks, no more under carriage noise, and no more flex. My welds are totally professional and not globbed up shit. It was the absolute best mod I've done. I had it done BEFORE my power upgrades and would consider it one of those necessary mods for a vert.
    Thats cool, I understand completely. I would love to see some different versions on a few cars in person and see how the fit is.

Hey MR. Yellow,,,if you wouldn't mind could you send me that info again? I lost my emails when my wife reformatted the hard drive,,,ugh! I'll shoot ya a pm with my email address. Thanks.

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

I have some Don Gontez SFC's and mine are the bolt in kind. Had them on the car for over 3 years and the holes arent any bigger, bolts never have come loose, and they vastly improved noise and handling. Very please for 275 shipped. Oh if my car wasnt so rare I may of considered weld ins
    2001 SOM SS Vert 1 of 37 verts with a 6 speed. Kook LT's with cats, fast 90mm ported intake, Nick Williams 90mm TB, AFR 205's and so on. Tuning/installs done by Williams Performance.

Thread Information