Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by TASWEET SS View Post
    whats up with all this oil, what is it with you? why you have so much and how are you so informed, what is it with the oil ?
    Many moons ago....I thought like most do today....I ran what everybody else was...and whatever the decal of the day was ( mostly Kendal back then )
    then I met up with some engineers at Bell Helicopter in the 70's...these guys just blew me away with all the time they spent on "lube"....I watched them cook it/blend it/analyze it/smell it etc. What go me hooked was how many mis truths and marketing bullshit was rampant back in the day....and much worse today......so I started educating myself.....books and magazines....the engineers at Bell hooked me up with these folks... http://www.noria.com/
    and here I am....One simple truth is this....The choice of lube has a larger impact on engine longevity and performance than almost any other choice you will make...secondly...there is more total bullshit about oil on the Internet it makes me want to blow a load on the screen....marketing hype and myths perpetuated over and over until idiots are regurgitating it as fact.....thirdly...it is a full time hobby as the oil companies change formulas/basestocks etc. almost yearly....Mobil1 was on top of the heap for a long time in my book anyway....and have fallen significantly in the past two years or so....Royal Purple is mostly marketing hype.....the "debates" over synthetics and conventionals is mostly myths and hype as todays conventionals are as good for 3-5K OCI's.....as synthetics....I use synthetics mainly because of the add packs/film strengths and of course the cold start protection....I don't like RedLine....for street driven cars anyway....nasty nasty....So I end up with Amsoil/Pennzoil Platinum and Schaeffer's......and next year somebody will start blending with something else and it will start showing up in UOA's...and the research will begin on that and change my opinions.....it changes all the time.....must have DATA!!!

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

So here is a question. What do you think of the oil every 5000-6000 and the filter every 2500-3000 mile idea?
    Thanks for all your time and thoughts. And what about the magnet on the filter idea? good idea of waste of time?
    Last edited by 1st TA; 05-13-2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: add

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 1st TA View Post
    So here is a question. What do you think of the oil every 5000-6000 and the filter every 2500-3000 mile idea?
    Thanks for all your time and thoughts. And what about the magnet on the filter idea? good idea of waste of time?
    In a clean well tuned and maintained engine you can go 5K easily with conventional or synthetics and change your filter every other oil change interval. I strongly suggest todays new synthetic oil filters...like this one from Amsoil.... https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx if your going to do that. Also I highly recommend running a 3oz maintenance dose of AutoRX. Keeps those ring packs clean and cylinder compression at maximum. Stuff cannot be beat. http://www.auto-rx.com/
    I'm not big on additives....but face facts.....some additives do add value to the chemistry of your oil....AutoRX is one of them for sure...
    As for magnets.....If you have metal running around your engine that is getting passed your oil filter you have bigger problems than whether or not to put a magnet on your filter Do they work? Yes they do. But I look at a magnet on a filter like I do a incoming nuclear alarm system. Ok the alarm goes off. Now what? Kiss you ass goodbye? But I guess the short and sweet of it is I would rather have the metal trapped in my filter rather than trapped between my rings and the cylinder wall......

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information