• mobile 1

65 62.50%
  • roayal purple

39 37.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I haven't heard any bad things about royal purple until this thread. Is it just the expense?

what weight are most using for their SS or Z? 5W30 0W30?

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

5w30

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Mobil 1 is not a 100% synthetic anymore....
    they stop making the good stuff and still charge the same price adn don't tell anybody. Mobil 1 is poop now

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by SMKDFRD View Post
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that you use MOBILE 1 5-W. I've always used 10-W.
    I think everyone is saying that the use what our engines call for. 5w-30

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    they stop making the good stuff and still charge the same price adn don't tell anybody. Mobil 1 is poop now
    LOL, ya thats pretty much how all things go, without a watchfull eye they slip right past you. Quality of most everything is not as good as it once was.

So if Mobile 1 is no longer full synthetic,,,then what is?
    A friend of mine is a dealer for Royal Purple, although I have never used it. I have never used Mobil 1 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    No synthetics for my tranny....
    I am with you,,,I never use sythetics in auto transmissions,,,just plain old dexron.

black
    2001 Z28

i saw that episode and was thinking about switching but now i don't think i'll put the royal purple in the tranny but the rear end and the motor are getting it. right now i use mobil1 "full synthetic" and i've been checkin the prices royal purple ain't that much more expensive it just blows that you have to order it from a mag. i guess waiting till mile 2,999 then darting to the parts store isn't gonna cut it anymore. oh and what about filters are they all pretty much the same thing on the inside. i heard once that there is basically one or two big companies that make filters and then other sub companies buy them and stick a different label on them. is this just conspiracy theory talk or what.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

True.I was talking to a parts man and he told me just that. That many of the oil filters are made by the same company and they put the stickers on them of other brands.Just like anything else,it's all about the label.It may be just me but I am not paying $8.00 for a quart of oil. I love my cars and I have never had a oil related problem,I use Dino oil in the engines and have for 22years in my 73 Dodge charger,30 years in my 69 short bed truck,25 years in my 77 camaro, and 8years in my 99 TA.I change my oil every 3 months, and trans and rearend oil every 2 years,I know that I might pick up 4 or 5 hp if I did,but at what point do you say enough is enough.Plus I have my wifes 2006 Ford 500 and a 93 jimmy, all running dino oils.60.00 to change oil is way to high for me. $360 to just change engine oil in all six cars.I don't think so.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 04-18-2007 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    True.I was talking to a parts man and he told me just that. That many of the oil filters are made by the same company and they put the stickers on them of other brands.Just like anything else,it's all about the label.It may be just me but I am not paying $8.00 for a quart of oil. I love my cars and I have never had a oil related problem,I use Dino oil in the engines and have for 22years in my 73 Dodge charger,30 years in my 69 short bed truck,25 years in my 77 camaro, and 8years in my 99 TA.I change my oil every 3 months, and trans and rearend oil every 2 years,I know that I might pick up 4 or 5 hp if I did,but at what point do you say enough is enough.Plus I have my wifes 2006 Ford 500 and a 93 jimmy, all running dino oils.60.00 to change oil is way to high for me. $360 to just change engine oil in all six cars.I don't think so.
    I always ran dino oil as well in my older cars. 20 years in my 72 chevelle and going on 15 years in my 70 firebird, 15 years in my 79 chev truck, and 20 years in my nomad plus some other cars as well (too many to list). But now the dino oils have changed significantly. They no longer have zink and other important properties that gave them the lubricity they once had,,,thanks to the EPA. Alot of camshaft failures have resulted (flat tappet cams) since this change. There has been alot of talk about it.
    I even used to run the racing blend oils in my cars, but they too have lost the zink and other properties now,,,so they really have no advantage anymore. The only dino oil on the market anymore that still has these important properties is deisel oil. Most people have switched their older cars over to deisel oils for this reason, because it's cheaper than synthetic and still offers the protection the dino oils once did. But the deisel oil is limited and soon will no longer have Zinc either. So options are running out.
    I made the switch to synthetic on all 7 of my cars,,,and yes it's expensive to change the oil every 2-3,000 miles as I do,,,,but I just don't trust the dino oils anymore since they have lost Zinc,,,and I had an expensive (over $1,000) camshaft failure in my chevelle just very recently (on a roller cam of all things). After that motor has been together for several years, and I only drive it about 1-2 times a week,,,go figure.
    This is something to keep in mind. Larry.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Iv been using mobil 1 for sometime now and i have no complaints although i did try royal purple and was not impressed at all, in fact my oil pressure dropped a good amount, enough too make me concerned, so i went back too mobil 1 and the issue was solved.
    Just my observation's, and opin thou
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Have you noticed that Mobil 1 now has two grades of synthetic? The one we were used to and now, TA DA, an "extreme" version. Sounds like the "new" one is the "old" one that we remember. It costs more though. Go figure.

I'm still using Mobil 1 though. I've had absolutely no engine problems with it in all the vehicles I have, and have had, since I started using it in the late 80's. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixing it.

As far as filters go, I never had the Fram experience that so many warn about, but I've switched to using AC/Delco or Mobil 1 filters exclusively. I did use the Fram w/PTFE filters for a while when they first came out and had no problems, but just to be safe, I switched.

Like a long-time mechanic friend of mine says, he would rather re-use oil several times with new oil filter changes, than to use fresh oil with an old filter. What he means is that the oil filter is much more important than most people realize.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Iv been using mobil 1 for sometime now and i have no complaints although i did try royal purple and was not impressed at all, in fact my oil pressure dropped a good amount, enough too make me concerned, so i went back too mobil 1 and the issue was solved.
    Just my observation's, and opin thou
    J
    If it flows smoother, you will lose oil pressure. oil pressure is resistance to flow, so it isn't necessarily a good thing to use oil that increases oil pressure

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Castrol
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansa Dave View Post
    i saw that episode and was thinking about switching but now i don't think i'll put the royal purple in the tranny but the rear end and the motor are getting it. right now i use mobil1 "full synthetic" and i've been checkin the prices royal purple ain't that much more expensive it just blows that you have to order it from a mag. i guess waiting till mile 2,999 then darting to the parts store isn't gonna cut it anymore. oh and what about filters are they all pretty much the same thing on the inside. i heard once that there is basically one or two big companies that make filters and then other sub companies buy them and stick a different label on them. is this just conspiracy theory talk or what.
    I got my RP at NAPA. I aint paying for shipping or handling for oil.

White
    2000 SS Camaro

I have Redline oil in my motor and Royal purple in tranny+rear. I like the royal purple in the rear and tranny. Won't use Redline again, too expensive, will go to royal purple.

Blog Entries

Black
    1999 Trans am

Castrol Syntec 5w30.. Made in Baton Rouge LA. Good ole USA !

0 wieght oil is way to light unless your running your Ls1 in the antarctic.

Torrid Red
    2004 GTO

You can get RP at O'Reilly's. I believe it is $1.00 a qt more than M1. I just put a Yank converter in my GTO, and they sent it in writing not to use syn. oil. I use M1, but am thinking about changing to Amsoil. It is 100% syn.
    2004 GTO, A4, Torrid Red/Blk, 1 of 1031, Yank SS3600, Dart-225s 62cc, Cometic .040, CompCams 230/236-.613/.608-112LSA, Hi Tech 7.350 pushrods, Kook 1 7/8, CAT/Reson. delete, 3" H-pipe, super 40s, Ported TB, TB bypass, 160TS, SLP MAF, JBA wires, NGK TR-55, New ERA CAI, tuned = 392hp/344tq

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

I was gonna try royal purple but autozone was out so I just got mobil 1.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I did use Mobil 1 at one time, and had alot of piston slap when the engine was cold, I switched to the same weight RP (10W-30) and within 2 oil changes almost all of my piston slap was gone.

Don't know about the 8hp increase at the rear wheels though.

SteveC

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Have you noticed that Mobil 1 now has two grades of synthetic? The one we were used to and now, TA DA, an "extreme" version. Sounds like the "new" one is the "old" one that we remember. It costs more though. Go figure.

I'm still using Mobil 1 though. I've had absolutely no engine problems with it in all the vehicles I have, and have had, since I started using it in the late 80's. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixing it.

As far as filters go, I never had the Fram experience that so many warn about, but I've switched to using AC/Delco or Mobil 1 filters exclusively. I did use the Fram w/PTFE filters for a while when they first came out and had no problems, but just to be safe, I switched.

Like a long-time mechanic friend of mine says, he would rather re-use oil several times with new oil filter changes, than to use fresh oil with an old filter. What he means is that the oil filter is much more important than most people realize.

i saw a commercail on that extream stuff. would that be better to use that moblil 1 or just stay w reg. mobile 1

whats really the diff besides the price?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information