Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Man, you guys really hate the competition! I understand where you are coming from with all the Skyline/Supra/3000VR4 nut-huggers, but most of the folks that actually buy and drive the upper-end Japanese performance cars are pretty cool. It's the fan-boys with the body-kitted/stickered/annoying exhaust/80rwhp crap-boxes that give them a bad rap.
    I wouldn't own a Japanese performance car, but I have nothing against them and have plenty of friends with everything from Preludes to G35s. None of them talk like the F&F cast because they know the real deal.
    BTW, the Skyline driveline is far from weak. Try to read up on them from some unbiased sources, the R33/34s are actually pretty cool, just not my cup of tea...or beer.
    i didnt say that by itsself i didnt think the skyline was "cool". on the flip side i used to read about them all the time and about the outrageous tomei engine packages available that make alot of hp. but my bitch is people thinking that these turbo'd wonders are the shit. i respect anything that puts down big numbers but when i get into debates about a skyline being the king i tend to laugh. im not sure about the supra being comparable in price to mod to an f-body. maybe off the shelf 1jz parts but the turbo component of that engine family has ridiculous prices because the car is so scarce. i guess you could get cheap imitation pieces but who wants to trust em? twin turbo supras may infact be good for 450hp with the stock turbos, but you NEVER "just turn the boost up" without an aftermarket fuel pump and a solid tune. i have read about the skylines drive train and the atessa pro is cool but a headache when big hp comes into the mix. as with most awd cars the transfer case takes a beating with the higher rpm launches and that shock on the drivetrain. most of the fastest 1/4 mile skylines have the front wheel drive disabled and the trans computer adjusted to compensate. skylines, unlike evos and stis, operated mainly in rear wheel drive with the torque split up to the front wheels. there are nice "imports" but they are imports and i live in america and like my little 330 ft lbs of TORQUE.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

You have a valid argument for the Skyline as it was never officially imported here, but don't lump the Supra into that argument. Up until 450ish rwhp (which is what the Supra can max on the stock twins), the Supra is far cheaper to modify that a comparable LSx platform (unless you are running nitrous). My friend had a bad-ass 1997 Supra nad no problems finding tuners in the DC area. The Skyline would obviously be more of a challenge...
    Far cheaper?? No, its not.

Heres what you don't understand. Sure, they can be made quicker with relatively light mods, due to the engine being restricted from the factory.

However, all the parts to make it fast are expensive. Tuning a car like that is very expensive. Push too much boost, and you have to invest in systems like alchohol injection to prevent pre ignition, also expensive. When things break (inevitable when you start modding an import) you have to give your first born child to pay for replacement parts. And do you honestly think the stock drivetrain is going to handle 450WHP without any issues??

Your argurment is not valid at all.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

Heres what you don't understand. Sure, they can be made quicker with relatively light mods, due to the engine being restricted from the factory.

However, all the parts to make it fast are expensive. Tuning a car like that is very expensive. Push too much boost, and you have to invest in systems like alchohol injection to prevent pre ignition, also expensive. When things break (inevitable when you start modding an import) you have to give your first born child to pay for replacement parts. And do you honestly think the stock drivetrain is going to handle 450WHP without any issues??

dont the chinese already give up their first borns wes??

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Man, you guys really hate the competition! I understand where you are coming from with all the Skyline/Supra/3000VR4 nut-huggers, but most of the folks that actually buy and drive the upper-end Japanese performance cars are pretty cool. It's the fan-boys with the body-kitted/stickered/annoying exhaust/80rwhp crap-boxes that give them a bad rap.
    I wouldn't own a Japanese performance car, but I have nothing against them and have plenty of friends with everything from Preludes to G35s. None of them talk like the F&F cast because they know the real deal.
    BTW, the Skyline driveline is far from weak. Try to read up on them from some unbiased sources, the R33/34s are actually pretty cool, just not my cup of tea...or beer.
    Ever watched sports?? Ask a Yankees fan if he would root for the Redsox. He'll probably punch you in the face

Same thing with cars. You support the car manufacturers and autos that you like best, and the country that they come from. We live in American and like American cars. I don't see whay that should even be a question.

The retards driving modded up Civics and CRX's are in the same class as any other person who drives a modded up import. Cars like the 3000GT, Supra, Skyline, Evo, STI, all included. 90% of them are not "pretty cool" at all, they have an inferiority complex that makes them believe Jap crap is the end all to end all cars, that American cars suck and can only go in a straight line, and that 4 and 6 cylinder engines with fart cans sound good. Thats why they bought those cars in the first place. Ask them about American cars, and they will start talking shit. In short, most of them are retards. I deal with these people on a daily basis at work, and I see what the majority of them are like. The exception to the rule is much less common to see.

Don't bother trying to defend import guys. You're fighting a lost cause.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

arnt skylines OVER 50k new in japan when converted to us currency????? actually i think they were over 50k YEARS ago.......so 276 horse 3800lbs vs 400 horse 3200????? 02-04 z06 ..50k and those stats....yeah..sounds like it would be a close race ( rolling eyes).....if u want to mod that piece of shit thats fine to...put a blower on the z06 for 5k and it wont need ANY suppporting mods to handle that for a good amt of time......put any REAL hp to the ground on that skyline and see what breaks

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

My argument is plenty valid. How much money does it take to get 450rwhp out of an LS1 sans nitrous? Heads/cam package or blower/turbo, correct? How much will that cost? At least $5-6K for F/I and at least $4K for a serious heads/cam set-up. Gee. What do you need to get 450rwhp out of a Supra? Bigger downpipe, intercooler, and injectors. Full exhaust, wastegate mod, tune and race gas.
    Tuning is tuning...it's a little harder for F/I, but that goes for both import AND domestic.
    The part about a fragile drivetrain makes me laugh when you consider the F-body's 10-bolt.... Not to mention the crappy pre-2001 clutch/slave.
    I have 5 GM products in my driveway, but I'm not blind or close-minded.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    arnt skylines OVER 50k new in japan when converted to us currency????? actually i think they were over 50k YEARS ago.......so 276 horse 3800lbs vs 400 horse 3200????? 02-04 z06 ..50k and those stats....yeah..sounds like it would be a close race ( rolling eyes).....if u want to mod that piece of shit thats fine to...put a blower on the z06 for 5k and it wont need ANY suppporting mods to handle that for a good amt of time......put any REAL hp to the ground on that skyline and see what breaks
    yup. hey alittle off topic but speaking of blowers, some crazy guy i almost bought a z from swears that an ls1 can handle a blower running about 8 pounds of boost with NO supporting mods. is there any truth to this. i havent taken the time to think it all out.....

FINALLY. An argument. opcorn:

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I've heard with a big enough inter-cooler/s.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

My argument is plenty valid. How much money does it take to get 450rwhp out of an LS1 sans nitrous? Heads/cam package or blower/turbo, correct? How much will that cost? At least $5-6K for F/I and at least $4K for a serious heads/cam set-up. Gee. What do you need to get 450rwhp out of a Supra? Bigger downpipe, intercooler, and injectors. Full exhaust, wastegate mod, tune and race gas.
    Tuning is tuning...it's a little harder for F/I, but that goes for both import AND domestic.
    The part about a fragile drivetrain makes me laugh when you consider the F-body's 10-bolt.... Not to mention the crappy pre-2001 clutch/slave.

No, you're just blinded by your own ignorance in how great you think certain imports are. You're exaggerating the Supra by a long shot. Its an expensive car to buy, maintain, and mod. You're fooling nobody but yourself.

And what about the 10 bolt?? Lame argurment. Yea, they have the possibility of breaking when you're pushing 400WHP and launching on slicks. Its a lightweight diff. There are plenty of guys in the 11's with the 10 bolt, so I wouldn't be talking shit. The Supra drivetrain is by no means bullet proof, blow something out on that and you're looking at a 10K repair bill. Its a complete joke.

You can't argue with someone who thinks they know everything, so I'm done wasting my time on your Mr. Import fanboy domestic owner

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

No, you're just blinded by your own ignorance in how great you think certain imports are. You're exaggerating the Supra by a long shot. Its an expensive car to buy, maintain, and mod. You're fooling nobody but yourself.

And what about the 10 bolt?? Lame argurment. Yea, they have the possibility of breaking when you're pushing 400WHP and launching on slicks. Its a lightweight diff. There are plenty of guys in the 11's with the 10 bolt, so I wouldn't be talking shit. The Supra drivetrain is by no means bullet proof, blow something out on that and you're looking at a 10K repair bill. Its a complete joke.

You can't argue with someone who thinks they know everything, so I'm done wasting my time on your Mr. Import fanboy domestic owner
    Wow! I lived in NJ 25 years, yet never developed a attitude like yours. Calling someone "ignorant" because they questioned your reasoning smacks of immaturity and petulance. The smartest people realize that there is always more to learn... I don't have to "fool" anyone. The facts speak for themselves...
    Fact: The Supra was over-engineered because it fell short of competeing with the Corvette when the MKiii came out. The weakest link in the MKiv drivetrain is the transmission, but many have survived into the 10s. The really fast ones use a good ol' Chevy Powerglide...
    Fact: 7.5 inch 10-bolts break at factory power levels with sticky tires and a M6. 400rwhp is rolling the dice...period. You may have better luck with going 11s behind an A4 because of less driveline shock, but most reasonably serious cars go at least to a 12-bolt.
    Fact: Many of the same arguments for the Supra (tuning, ease of initial HP increase, etc) can be used for the Turbo regals (I had a 1986 GN), or are they crap too?
    Fact: I currently own all GM, but I'm smart enough to know my competition whether it be Ford (have previously owned two 5.0 GTs), Mopar (owned a 1970 BB Challenger) or import (do my motorcycles count?).
    Here's some of my "Mr. Import Fanboy" rides...what do you drive again?

1990 383 Corvette 2000 383 Z28 1990 Buick LeSabre

1990 383 Corvette 2004 GMC Z71

2000 Z28 (when it was heads/cam) 1992 Mustang GT (bolt-ons, weight reduction)

pewter

supras were also over 40k new and over 25k used now...can we compare it to a z06 instead and be fair dollar for dollar? .....im NOT dissing on supras ..just saying they cost much more do begin with than an fbody

pewter

Wow! I lived in NJ 25 years, yet never developed a attitude like yours. Calling someone "ignorant" because they questioned your reasoning smacks of immaturity and petulance. The smartest people realize that there is always more to learn... I don't have to "fool" anyone. The facts speak for themselves...
    Fact: The Supra was over-engineered because it fell short of competeing with the Corvette when the MKiii came out. The weakest link in the MKiv drivetrain is the transmission, but many have survived into the 10s. The really fast ones use a good ol' Chevy Powerglide...
    Fact: 7.5 inch 10-bolts break at factory power levels with sticky tires and a M6. 400rwhp is rolling the dice...period. You may have better luck with going 11s behind an A4 because of less driveline shock, but most reasonably serious cars go at least to a 12-bolt.
    Fact: Many of the same arguments for the Supra (tuning, ease of initial HP increase, etc) can be used for the Turbo regals (I had a 1986 GN), or are they crap too?
    Fact: I currently own all GM, but I'm smart enough to know my competition whether it be Ford (have previously owned two 5.0 GTs), Mopar (owned a 1970 BB Challenger) or import (do my motorcycles count?).
    Here's some of my "Mr. Import Fanboy" rides...what do you drive again?
    Click for full size
    1990 383 Corvette 2000 383 Z28 1990 Buick LeSabre
    Click for full size
    1990 383 Corvette 2004 GMC Z71
    Click for full size
    2000 Z28 (when it was heads/cam) 1992 Mustang GT (bolt-ons, weight reduction)
    very nice collection

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

very nice collection
    +1. but wait, are there 2 white 1990 vettes? or are they the same ride just before and after he installed those wheels

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

supras were also over 40k new and over 25k used now...can we compare it to a z06 instead and be fair dollar for dollar? .....im NOT dissing on supras ..just saying they cost much more do begin with than an fbody
    I gotta give you that one. Thanks to the Academy Award Winning "Fast and the Furious", Supra prices are ridiculous. I still prefer the C5 Z06 over anything (the C6 Z06 is WAY out of my price range) insofar as do-it-all uber-car.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    +1. but wait, are there 2 white 1990 vettes? or are they the same ride just before and after he installed those wheels
    Heh. Same car, new wheels. Mild L98-based 383 + A4 + 2.59 gears = comfy, torquey cruiser that can light the tires at 35MPH...

Dark Gray 02 Tahoe
    A few too many Lsx's!

I like the way they look.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Heh. Same car, new wheels. Mild L98-based 383 + A4 + 2.59 gears = comfy, torquey cruiser that can light the tires at 35MPH...
    niiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information