Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

red
    1959 corvette

Gears,gears,gears,gears,different car! I bet if you had all those mods you first said and raced the same car with no mods except gears, youd get SMOKED!
    My mods on the 99 FORMULA
    Whisper lid, K&N, B&M Short Throw, CAI, Magna Flow Exhaust, UMI torque arm, FT LT hdrs, ORY, dual cutouts, 4.11 Gears, BMR SFC, BMR MSB, BMR lower control arms, Poly motor and tranny mounts, 575/568 232/227 111 lobe cam, Taylor wires, ngk tr55s,1 10in. JL W3 for beat.

White
    2001 Z28

My parts are going on tomorrow, I will try it with and without the MAF. I will let you know how it turns out.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

sounds like a cool idea. i read up on Chevy High Perf. magazine and they dynoed a car with their wires and MAF, but there's no such thing as too much testing. are you gonna dyno it or take it to the track?

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    sounds like a cool idea. i read up on Chevy High Perf. magazine and they dynoed a car with their wires and MAF, but there's no such thing as too much testing. are you gonna dyno it or take it to the track?
    I already have b-b dyno runs with an 18 rwhp loss using a GMAF

Attachment 5823

Stock MAF

Attachment 5824

GMAF

Silver
    2002 Z28

nice hahaha

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

wow. your car was running very lean though, what's up with that? your car is untuned and never used any handhelds?

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    wow. your car was running very lean though, what's up with that? your car is untuned and never used any handhelds?
    Lean???? 12.5 is what it is with the stock MAF ... slightly richer than the 13 optimum ... the GMAF went to 11.5 ... very rich. Look at the date on the sheet.

This was back in the day of mail order and MAFT. This was untuned, I later tuned it out to 13.5 with a MAFT ... then went to a full dyno tune after Edit came out.

Car went 12.13@114 all bolt on, in +1500 D/A @ 3650lbs raceweight.

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Hi guys - I can't see how you can increase airflow and loose 18hp. If it stayed the same I would know how to address the issue. But to loose 18rwhp is a ton. We offer a guarantee so I wish you would have called. Our meters have been dyno tested a billion times and while we do get the occasional car that states it made very little difference, Never have I heard of a proven 18hp loss.

I would be more then happy to exchange or recalibrate the meter. When was it purchased and were was it purchased from?

It is uncharacteristic of our meters to go rich. We also offer 0 ohm ignition wires. These meters and wires have been tested by 100’s of people and the results are typically the same. Wires are 8 to 10 hp and the meters are good for 12 to 16.
    http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ugwiresets.htm

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmmaftruck.htm

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
    Hi guys - I can't see how you can increase airflow and loose 18hp. If it stayed the same I would know how to address the issue. But to loose 18rwhp is a ton. We offer a guarantee so I wish you would have called. Our meters have been dyno tested a billion times and while we do get the occasional car that states it made very little difference, Never have I heard of a proven 18hp loss.

I would be more then happy to exchange or recalibrate the meter. When was it purchased and were was it purchased from?

It is uncharacteristic of our meters to go rich. We also offer 0 ohm ignition wires. These meters and wires have been tested by 100’s of people and the results are typically the same. Wires are 8 to 10 hp and the meters are good for 12 to 16.
    http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ugwiresets.htm

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmmaftruck.htm
    Don't worry, you and I are not out any bucks ... ... with no logical reason to believe that inserting a 80mm MAF in between a 75mm lid and 75mm TB w/75mm intake could actually increase airflow, I borrowed MAFs and tested them to see if they were worthwhile ... I got the same results with PACE and SLP ... I actually took SLP to the track and managed a SES light, 3* of KR and 3 tenths reduction in my ET - got booted from the old SLP board when I posted that info.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Its ironic that I caught up with this debate, last night I was fishing around on the net on about the same type of inquiry, found an archive Chevy High.Perf. magazine did one on the impala ss, Quick mods type of post, first did the k&n cold air , dynoed it and got a reasonable gain, then added edelbrock header and exhaust combo, believe they uses shorty's and and got a little more of a gain, and then used the Hypertech p.p. and was able to maximise the two bolt ons for like another 14 h.p.. Another similar post by the same magazine on a 99 camaro ss again seeing a change for the better. I was about to purchase the Hypertech P.P., last night until I read the posts above, I know that it cant compare to a dyno tune, but its got to be somewhat handy to have if your like most of us and add a mod everyonce and a while when you can afford it, and use it to attempt the most of the mod..maybe?

White
    2001 Z28

The parts are on my car now, but not all of them. I have been listening to the advice. Therefore I am not using the shorty headers, and the hypertech. I also am thinking about whether to use the 160 thermostat. I read something on the Crane website that said a 160 thermostat lowers efficiency and can cost 3-4 mpg. What I am looking for now is an exhaust solution, from the block to the tailpipe that passes emissions. The jury is still out on the Granarelli MAF, I will try it both ways.
    And a note for the Granatelli guys: All the horsepower "promised" for my car adds up to 135 hp increase. A lot of guys are laughing about that. If your MAF produces the "promised HP", I will say so. If it doesn't, everyone on this thread will be laughing at you.
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 07-26-2006 at 08:44 PM.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Keep doin research and askin questions, you are heading in the right direction.
    Good advice. It's easy to spend money on mods that don't help or mods that will be taken off later to do more meaningful mods. That's why it's best to have a long term plan for where you want to wind up.
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

I'de like to see "unbiased" results. Good call on the shorties.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    The jury is still out on the Granarelli MAF, I will try it both ways.
    And a note for the Granatelli guys: All the horsepower "promised" for my car adds up to 135 hp increase. A lot of guys are laughing about that. If your MAF produces the "promised HP", I will say so. If it doesn't, everyone on this thread will be laughing at you.
    don't be shocked if you don't get that 135 HP increase. Personally I don't see it happening with basically exhaust upgrade and intake upgrade that u are speaking of. More like around 30-40 HP. And remember just because a company says gains of up to so many HP, does not mean that is what you will get right away. It simply means with ALL the supporting mods that 1 will get you that much of an increase. Like most header companies say up to like 40 HP gains. Well you can get that from the headers as long as you upgrade your intake, install a cam, and tune the car. Without those you might actually be looking at like 20 HP gain over stock. Each mod you do supports previous mods and future mods, and unless you maximize everything you will not get all the added up HP gains advertised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information