Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

For what the Cobalt SS is, its not a bad little car. Stock it will out handle a ls1 and brake better but not go faster in a striaght line.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Didn't say it couldn't.
    Yes you did. You said they can't come close to touching an ls1 stock for stock. Now, since mid 13's are possible in a stock srt-4, how is that not close to touching an ls1? People have said they cant break 14 in their stock LS1's, because they aren't the most skilled of drivers.

I already knew the engine specs as well as the weight. That doesn't change what I said.

What exactly did you say? You said my post was "bullshit", when all I stated were FACTS and a few opinions (like how I thought the front mount looked, and that it's a mean looking car). FACT is that a stock SRT-4 is in the same neighborhood as an LS1, taking into account driver skill. FACT they have more diplacement than the competitors (civics, rsx's, cavaliers... i mean cobalts)

I do. I didn't deny that the SRT-4 had a lot of potential or that it can be made fast with thousands of dollars in mods, specifically a Mopar Stage 3. In fact, I said exactly that. Learn to read, your post is nothing but a meaningless rant
    How much did a WS6 cost new? 32,900. How much is an srt 4 with a stage 3? 25,900.
    Now don't go on ranting about about current values, because by that mentality he can go buy a 91 tsi and smoke everyhitng on the road for 4,500.
    All I said was that the SRT-4, based on the competition, is a good option for what he is considering, and unless you have somethign useful to contribute to his quesiton, please don't troll this thread. Thanks.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    Yes you did. You said they can't come close to touching an ls1 stock for stock. Now, since mid 13's are possible in a stock srt-4, how is that not close to touching an ls1? People have said they cant break 14 in their stock LS1's, because they aren't the most skilled of drivers

Mid 13's are not "possible in a stock SRT-4". Show me some evidence of a stock SRT-4 hitting a 13.5. Never heard of that. Best time I've ever heard of or seen was 13.8, and that was a factory freak. LS1's run anywhere from 13.5 (auto) to 13.2 (6-speed) stock, thats a pretty big gap compared to the SRT-4.

What exactly did you say? You said my post was "bullshit", when all I stated were FACTS and a few opinions (like how I thought the front mount looked, and that it's a mean looking car). FACT is that a stock SRT-4 is in the same neighborhood as an LS1, taking into account driver skill. FACT they have more diplacement than the competitors (civics, rsx's, cavaliers... i mean cobalts)
    The stock SRT-4 is not "in the same neighborhood" as a stock LS1. With equal drivers, the LS1 F-Body will win every time. Its pointless to say "well if the SRT-4 driver was better...", thats just retarded.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

How about we leave it at it's about time American Auto makers started putting out cars that will run with the rice grinders.........I'm glad to see the Cobalt SS's, Dodge SRT-4's, and even the Soltices..........can't wait to see if Pontiac turbo charges that thing.......I think JOMO hit the nail on the head when he said those things will out handle an LS1 but in a straight line...sure....an LS1 should win every time....But.....start adding things onto it and you might have your hands full if you have a stock LS1.......power to weight ratio..........

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

I got my Srt-4 to a 13.79 twice but you are definatly right.........equal drivers with a srt and T/A, the T/A will come out ahead every time.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    More like "some bullshit"

First off, I wouldn't consider 15-20MPG "good gas mileage". Thats crappy as hell, especially for a 4 cylinder. It does have more torque a almost half a liter more displacement than a Civic or RSX, which means more torque and less lag.

I wouldn't consider the front mount intercooler "sick". I also wouldn't consider it a "cute car", its downright ugly actually.

And last but not least, an SRT-4 cannot even come close to touching an LS1, stock for stock. You would need thousands of dollars in mods, most likely a Mopar stage 3 package.

Please don't make shit up, it doesn't help anyone
    Ive got about $1200 in motor mods in my car and i pulled 2 Ws6s both trapping around 110, on the street from a dig and roll. But i prolly get worse gas mileage than you(16mpg street)

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Vtec Pride View Post
    Im glad you ask such a question. WHy not buy a civic SI with vtec like me? Ive invested 10k into the engine and im running high 9s in the 1/4th. You should see the reactions on some of the dumbestic guys faces when I eat them by 8 car lengths. Like this one redneck in his camaro SS quote " You gotsa 1.8 litre? it dont make no sence, it juss dont make no sence ". Also Vtec civics are chick magnets. Once they hear the roar of Vtec they just want to be in your car all the time. Also the civic is awesome on gas and it never breaks down like those big gas guzzling dumbestics. There are alot more reasons why to get a vtec civic but thats all i can type for now, peace.
    This must be a joke. You can't be serious.

Either you're kidding, or your the most retarded ricer I've ever heard in my life

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1987 View Post
    I have driven a Colbolt SS Supercharged. It was slow and weak. I do not know where you guys come up with the idea this car is fast. I sure it can be fast, but not stock. An srt4 would crush the Colbolt. I have seen his in person. I pretty sure one of these cars could not beat a 2004 mustang gt. Be proud of your cars, but come on.
    I think spending that type of cash for a powerplant is just not logical! For what purpose? Maybe to do your daily commute, have a reliable car, and maybe score some points with women who think (Cobalt SS) is the coolest car around, and defin of fast just might be that combo of an automobile! I think it's great that GM is now offering a line of cars to knock arch rivals of Honda's, and etc, but lets compare apples to apples. I am not knocking the car, but it would of been great to see a different type of force induction on that powerplant. Be proud of what yuo have yes, but if it's all you have, and you think you can make it faster than a solid v 6, or an 8. Ladies, and Gentlemen be prepared to spend some high defintion of a coin!

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i just bought a SS Cobalt as my daily driver. its very impressive. its super quick for what it is and handles well. i get around 30mpg on the highway also. i suppose if i had to have it as my 'play/race car' it could still be fun w/ all the aftermarket stuff available for it, but for me i like it stock and as a DD. i'll use the T/A for performance driving.

Black
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

I was at the track last weekend and saw one run a 14.3 totally stock. I am not impressed with the gas mileage though. My grand prix gets 19 in the city and usually around 27 on the highway. It would do better, but I can't keep my foot out of it.

Randy
    S1X Cam/ZZP S3 IC/N*/Gen V/S&S Headers
    12.42@110.03 with a 1.74 60 Before IC
    12.46@114.3 with a 2.062 60 with IC

Black
    1999 Trans Am

As far as fuel economy, I have a 2000 WS6. Normaly run it around 70mph eveywhere I go with frequent trips up to around 110mph. Even driving like that I still get 22-24 mpg. The very best I ever got babying it was 26 mpg. Like Ive read on this thread, you build a cobalt to run like an ls1 and it probably wont get any better mileage than that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information