Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I installed a radio in an 01 Z28 yesterday with Monsoon and I did not hook up the turn on wire and it worked fine...And if you check the Monsoon diagrams provided by dipherentdesign there is no accesory going to the amp whatsoever.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

so you think that a stereo putting out 15-20WRMS per channel (not even mentioning that you will NOT have subwoofers anymore,) will sound better than the stock system that puts out AT LEAST 50WRMS per channel?

You're welcome to your opinion, but I've heard many aftermarket decks driving speakers directly... I've wired up 5 different cars from scratch, and at one point or another, the car usually drives the speakers with just the aftermarket headunit... makes my ears bleed with the earth-shattering crappiness of the sound output...

like someone said earlier... all or nothin... either pull the monsoon and put in all aftermarket amps, or don't bother...

the only exception might be the new headunits with 30wrms per channel, but even then, you still lose your subwoofers...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

It's not a matter of thinking...I've done it on Camaros...Which from all your arguments it seems you haven't...And if you think the monsoon is putting out 50RMS watts per channel your crazy...Your argument in this matter is based solely on opinion and theory...Like I said before I'm done arguing about it...My last post was not directed at you...It was to clear up something me and another member were discussing. So unless they changed something in the way it's wired an 01 monsoon does not have a turn on.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but saying that an aftermarket deck directly powering speakers will be 'better,' (I assume that means louder and clearer,) just gives people the wrong idea...

most people that do what you are suggesting will be sorely disappointed... a more sensible upgrade would be to wire in the aftermarket 2-ohm infinity's to the stock monsoon amplifier...

and the fact that I've never done it in a (4th gen) camaro means absolutely nothing. I've done it in more cars than I can remember, and you get the same results. You MUST turn the bass way down to get any sort of high volume... otherwise you'll get distortion and ruin your speakers... which is true of the monsoon system as well, but at a much higher volume...

the best advice to give someone here would be to either keep the monsoon amp, or go all-out...

silver
    2002 trans am

Hey Guys, 02sunsetss is right!!! Not for nothing but I did install my new HU and kept the Monsoon, but it sounded fine at low volume but sounded like poo poo at any other volume. I ended up removing the monsoon and just went with the power from my Alpine and it did sound better, way better. As for the "bass woofers" are concerned, they have factory crossovers on the speakers themselves and if you install a nice set of components, they usually include crossovers so you are able to keep your "bass" in the factory location. Let's also remember ladies and gentlemen, MTX, I know "illlll, I am not buying MTX" actually makes a sub box that you can remove the woofer and replace it with a better one, and put it in the driver's side rear storage compartment in the t-top well or the hatchback well. Well, have a good night and I feel bad for starting this thread. Play nice boys, play nice!!!
    later

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

It's just that there's not enough power coming from the Alpine headunit to even provide bass anymore.. that's the biggest problem...

any headunit is capable of powering your highs, to an extent... but if you put a set of 6.5" components, or a 6x9, you will have no bass, because it will distort badly if you try...

silver
    2002 trans am

I guess, but honestly, it's really not that bad. Especially if you're a dad and travel with children in the car. On the flip side, even a small amp would assist but you would have to replace speakers definitely. I guess it all up to what ya like. I have all stock speakers and the radio powers all fine. There are crossovers on the speakers so it's not so bad. Again, I got kids!!!

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

So, im trying to install an amp for a sub, and i want to keep the rest of the stock speakers, headunit, and amp. can i run speakerline imputs right from the rear or sail panel speakers? can tap off of the imput from the monsoon amp or is there a place to put RCA cables?

Thanks for the help

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

PAC makes an adapter or you could do it yourself with a speaker-level convertor from Wal-mart... $10

then you would run the ignition wire to the amp to turn it on.

and obviously the power and ground as well...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information