always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

anyone have any leaking top issues?

just this last week i opened my trunk to find a puddle.

Red
    1995 Trans am

You may need to check the two exit holes by the firewall. Mine gets clogged once in awhile with junk and I poke the hole and the water drains. The drains are close to the rear speakers in mine where the water exits from the top. yours might be filling up getting back inside?

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

Yeah what he said

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

those are clear. it seems to be coming from next to the rear window where there is several layers of fabric.

Is your rear window coming unsealed from the top? I had the same problem and found that the window was starting to separate from the top.

pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6 Conv.

mine leaks from the driver side window. There is not a good seal between the window and the weather stripping. there is play in the window i think from shutting the door from the window instead of using the door i have messed it up.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i have the same problem, need to check out those holes though, mine also leaks at the to front corners when theres high pressure like going through the car wash.

maple red
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by chevymonza View Post
    i have the same problem, need to check out those holes though, mine also leaks at the to front corners when theres high pressure like going through the car wash.
    Check the date of the last post bro, more then 2 years ago,

no love for convetibles here bro

Gotta post something to keep this section alive

Convertables are hard to find with fewer produced. Not very many members here have them being the younger generation, since the majority of the convertable market attracts middle aged buyers. Probably has alot to do with this section being rather slow.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Woahhhhh. I am not middle aged. Yet. Once you get a convertible you always want one. Nothing beats the wind in your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Woahhhhh. I am not middle aged. Yet. Once you get a convertible you always want one. Nothing beats the wind in your hair.
    I did say majority, I didn't mean everyone. However you are older than alot of the people here. Not trying to make you feel old
    I agree, a convertable is nice to have. Especially driving in scenic areas.

maple red
    2000 trans am

yep yep convertibles are nice very diffrent from other cars, and im only 19 haha

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Nothing beats the wind in your hair.

Or on the scalp for some of us

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

i own a vert as well and your right nothing better than having the wind blowing through your hair! Although, i am not middle aged just yet.

Mystic Teal Blue
    2000 Z28 Convertible

My 2000 Z/28 since its new will leak in torrential rain storms, Its not that bad. Living in Florida we can get some nasty thunderstorms. I realize its a convertible and I live with it. I am old 56 and have owned the car close to 12 years and I still love to wind out the gears with the top down. I was in the first group buy for the SLP Loudmouth, still on the car and still sound great. I also own a 69Z/28 that I bought in 1979.

Age is how old my body is, not my spirit or attitude, I will still occasionlly street race go into the triple digits mph. I don't feel much different than when I was in my 20's. I am very content with my age and wouldn't want to be 30 again. As long as I can shift the gears and push the clutch I will have a Z/28.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I'm also quite glad my car is a convertible. If I bought a Corvette (or other 2-seater, flagship sports car), I may have opted for a coupe, but the drop top is very nice to have for all kinds of drives.

To get back on topic after over a year... I have had the weather stripping on the driver's side come completely off (which is not a big deal in the rain, but in a car wash it's definitely a problem), and the rear window has separated from the ragtop along the bottom where the adheasive failed. I bought some 3M adheasive (that stuff is difficult to use) and prepped the surface and applied it to restore the seal, but the passenger side corner will not stick. Not really sure what to do about it, other than buy a whole new top with window (my top is getting ugly, anyway), and fork over $800-ish bucks to have it installed.

As for the driver side weather stripping, I put that back on with some weather strip adhesive (it's similar to rubber cement). Been on there for several months now with no signs of failing.

I understand that if the weather stripping is the problem, some sillicone lubricant will help to maintain/restore the "puffiness" that will allow it to seal. If it dries up, it tends to shrink, and fails to seal (so I've heard).

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I'm also quite glad my car is a convertible. If I bought a Corvette (or other 2-seater, flagship sports car), I may have opted for a coupe, but the drop top is very nice to have for all kinds of drives.

To get back on topic after over a year... I have had the weather stripping on the driver's side come completely off (which is not a big deal in the rain, but in a car wash it's definitely a problem), and the rear window has separated from the ragtop along the bottom where the adheasive failed. I bought some 3M adheasive (that stuff is difficult to use) and prepped the surface and applied it to restore the seal, but the passenger side corner will not stick. Not really sure what to do about it, other than buy a whole new top with window (my top is getting ugly, anyway), and fork over $800-ish bucks to have it installed.

As for the driver side weather stripping, I put that back on with some weather strip adhesive (it's similar to rubber cement). Been on there for several months now with no signs of failing.

I understand that if the weather stripping is the problem, some sillicone lubricant will help to maintain/restore the "puffiness" that will allow it to seal. If it dries up, it tends to shrink, and fails to seal (so I've heard).
    I used some clear silicone on mine. Its been a few years or so and it is holding strong. If you can put on the silicone and let it sit for a day so it sets up good.

Thread Information