Just joined the forum, and I am looking forward to learning from all the knowledgeable folks here!

My car is in the shop right now with the engine pulled, it started to spit and sputter at a stop light, so I pulled it over, put it on a tow truck to my local speed shop. The result was (2) broken valve springs (one in each head), and a stuck open valve. So off to the head shop for a rebuild. Since the motor was out we decided to replace the main bearings, oil pump, and some overall maintenance and a thorough checking out. I have only owned it for a couple of weeks, and although I really love the car, the previous owner had a much different use for it than I do.

I bought the car because it was a C5 Z06 in Silver, has lots of upgrades, low miles, and my favorite style of Corvette. I intend to drive it, not race it (except for the occasional light to light against those front wheel drives that sound like lawn mowers). Take it to car shows, and cruises, my wife would like to drive it once in a great while as well.

Right now it is difficult to drive around my neighborhood at 15-20 mph because of the surging and cam lobe. Lots of clutch feathering and finagling just to keep it running, it just wants to go! I want that to go away (the surging part). I need it to be easier to drive, especially for my wife, and at the same time I don't want to sacrifice all that performance either.

The shop that is doing the work and tune tells me I need to dial the cam back to achieve a better driving experience. Since we have it apart, I decided to put a new cam in it.

I guess my question is, how far do I need to dial it back to achieve my goal? Is it possible that the spring/springs were broke when I bought the car and that attributed to the surging? Was it a bad tune? I am sure one of you folks has a similar setup to mine and has some personal recommendation of cam grinds. Below is my current setup.

2002 Chevy Z06 Corvette ? 43K miles

TSP ? 418 LS3 Stroker Short Block
Forged Wiseco -3cc Flat Top Pistons
Callies Compstar Forged 4340 Crankshaft
Callies Compstar 6.125 H-Beam Connecting Rods

PRC 237 6-Bolt Heads w/62cc Chambers
COMP Ultra Pro Magnum 1.8 Roller Rockers
COMP Camshaft, Custom Grind 239/248 - .624?/.617? - 114LSA
FAST LSX 102MM Ported Intake Manifold and Throttle Body
FAST LSX Fuel Rail
Racetronix 42 lb per/hr Fuel Injectors
Racetronix Fuel Pump & Harness