Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Awaiting the arrival of a new brake master cylinder. We're still having issues with the brakes dragging and the pedal is adjusted as loose as it will go. The master cylinder looks like it was replaced not too long ago, but something is definitely amiss. I also ordered the seals and gaskets for the transfer case so that I can stop the oil from leaking onto the e-brake drum that is mounted in the driveline. We're getting there albeit very slowly.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Seat belts showed up on the FedEx truck yesterday. We went with a set of "racing" lap belts (SFI approved for a vehicle that tops out at around 55 mph ) that have black hardware and a "military looking" clasp setup. Last night, I finished up the wiring repair in the back by tapping the blackout brake light into the service brake light circuit. Now I just need to source a new lens assembly and maybe wire in the taillight circuit as well. I also found that one of the front blackout lights was disconnected and a simple re-plug got it working. After I was done we picked up my brother and went for a quick spin around town.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

New master cylinder and a gasket set for the transfer case arrived yesterday. I just tinkered a bit last night on Klinger. We realized that the headlight beams were out sync. The passenger side headlight wiring was crossed up but unfortunately the wire harness on the fender well where all the connections are located is a bit brittle. I elected to remove the headlight and then swapped the connections at the light - all better now. I also ordered a new driver side taillight lens that I will mount on the passenger side in place of the blackout lens.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The master cylinder was definitely leaking and the push rod was corroded in the socket. I tore it all down after removal just for giggles. New master cylinder is in and will hopefully get a chance to bleed the brakes this afternoon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

New master cylinder appears to have remedied the dragging brakes issue. Other than accidentally bleeding the reservoir dry during the process and having to start over it all went pretty smooth. We also took some time this evening to install the new top that came with the jeep. It took us a bit to figure it all out but the whole installation took maybe 15-20 minutes. Now that we have done it once, I am betting it'll take less than 10 minutes to install it next time.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Next up will be the parking brake assembly, transfer case seals and fluid change, and installation of the front driveshaft.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

New taillight assembly arrived yesterday. Once that is installed along with the seat belts, and I rig up a horn button, I think we'll go get an inspection sticker and be legal. Well, mostly legal anyway.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

They still make "new" parts for that thing?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes, lots of vendors and just about everything appears to be available through the aftermarket. It probably helps that civilian jeeps were in their 2nd or 3rd generation as well by 1954 with the CJ5 model. Granted they did not have all the military tidbits but major components were mostly the same.

Went for a little ride last night and it appears we are hung up in second gear. Going to take a look at things this evening and may end up dropping the transmission. Joy.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Last night we pulled the floor pan around the top of the trans and unbolted the shifter assembly. Other than the fact that the gear oil looks like mud the transmission internals appeared to be in good shape. The hang up was in the rail assembly and after some fiddling it broke free and seems to be working fine. I am going to run it all through the parts washer again and look things over good before dropping it back down onto the transmission. We also drained the transfer case and got the same mud to slowly ooze out.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Dropped the jeep back down this morning and hosed out the transmission with brake cleaner. Cleaned up fairly well but will definitely run a short term fill and then drain it again to flush out some more mud.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here's the fluid from the transmission and transfer case -- pretty nasty:

And, a little something that came this week for the jeep:

We do not name our vehicles, however, the jeep came to us already christened by the wife of the guy we purchased it from. It works.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Funny my wife refers to my bird or calls it - his -mistress, obsession, POS, what's broke now?, money pit, You spent how much? etc......

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Took apart the parking brake assembly tonight and dropped the pan on the transfer case. Again, other than the "mud" all the internals look great. I hosed it out with brake cleaner and will have to drop the small stuff through the parts washer before reassembly. Trying to figure out how the heck the drive gear on the speedometer engages as it is not splined and spins on the output shaft. Must be that it gets pressed between the output shaft bearing and yoke when the yoke is installed. That is all that I can figure. Our speedometer does not work so I am going to spin the cable with a drill before reassembly to see if it will move the needle.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Spent around 7 hours in the garage today... and failed. Thought I had the transmission fixed but it is still hanging in second gear. The issue is with the three metal bars that the sliding gear runs over between 2nd and 3rd gear. Two of them appear to be either bent or out of place enough to prevent the gear from sliding forward to engage 3rd. Probably going to require a complete overhaul to fix this issue.

Be that as it may, we now have a re-lined and operable parking brake and both the transfer case pan and output shaft have new seals.

The spring on the parking brake rod should be below the body, not through the hole into the driver compartment. Just one of the many issues that I have had to resolve.

I had never re-lined brake pads before. I have had this small press for years in my basement but never had occasion to use it. I snatched the center dowel from the lathe to peen the rivets over and it worked perfectly. I held everything in place while dawn operated the lever on the press.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

So here is the exact issue I am having:

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ordered up the parts this afternoon to rebuild the T-90. Full kit was stupid money, so I just bought what I think I'll need. Can always add to the parts pile once I get it apart.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Parts arrived last week, but I just did not have time to pull the transmission. I did remove the shifter this evening and yanked the 2-3 shift fork so that we can at least move the jeep and not risk getting it stuck in 2nd gear again. It took some finagling to get the clutch gear out of second with the frogged up synchronizer plates.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looking forward to getting back to work on Klinger. Maybe over Thanksgiving I can get the transmission pulled and rebuilt.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Renovations at the office are taking precedence over a transmission rebuild. Maybe Christmas break...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information