Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

Top only moves up

Hey, a new issue with my top is that it does not move down when I hit the switch, however after being manually moved down it will go up when you hit the switch. The fluid looks full (between the lines in the tank) and there's no sign of a leak. Does that sound like a pump issue itself or is there another trouble shooting method to check?

thanks!

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

How many miles on your car? If the pump sounds like it is working, there is most likely a leak in the system or binding in the mechanism. My first recommendation would be to check all of the top mechanism to ensure nothing is binding anywhere. You can use the procedure on page 2-81 of your owners manual to switch the pump to manual operation, then with a helper, gently move the top mechanism up and down to see if it seems especially hard to move on one side or the other or if anything is catching the fabric on the inside or outside. Look for rusting joints or loose joints that indicate worn out parts.

Next I would use a flashlight to look down along the sides of the top when it is partially open to see if there are any leaks along the hydraulic rams or lines that move the top, check the pivots for signs of rust or anything causing binding there. If your system is still filled with ATF, use a white rag to wipe everything you can reach. If there is a leak you'll find red fluid on the rag pretty quickly. A bad ram will normally show leakage and even a small leak can drastically lower the ability of your pump to move the top.

If all that looks good and you still have the problem take a look at the sticky in this section and go through the pump bleed and refill procedure in case you have air trapped in the system, if there is air there is a leak and you may only get a temporary fix from this procedure unless the tank was low and sucked air in which case you were either on a steep incline or you have a leak.

Finally, you can carefully remove the pump and bench test it to see if it is pumping what appears to be sufficient fluid or take it to someone who can test the pump, typically a shop that does hydraulic work. They may also be able to replace bad seals and get it working again. The pump is a fairly simple mechanism.

There are used pumps and rams available on ebay and other places or you can check for new replacement parts at Hydro-E-Lectric or another vendor you trust.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Triple White
    1998 Camaro SS convert

Don't rule out the switch. The top cylinders are powered up and down by the pump. If both contacts of the switch don't work to reverse the polarity of the pump motor, that could cause the problem. Should be able to use a test light or meter at the pump connector to check for the switch operation.
    Last edited by PeterPar; 08-12-2017 at 06:30 AM.

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

Yes I have to check the switch since I looked at the pump and lines for leaks and could find none. The top works smooth when I change the pump to manual and move it down. It also moves smoothly back up when I switch back to auto. Thanks for that and will look as soon as I get a chance (I'm a working fool and can't get to things quickly unfortunately )

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

Looks like it was the switch! Picked up an OEM from E---- for less than $40, installed and all works well.

thanks for help

Thread Information