Thread: Wheel sizes

Wheel sizes

Forgive my ignorance, but I want to put ws6 wheels onto my original trans am (2001) do I need spacers or will they just bolt right on?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site! The wheels should bolt right up.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

WS6 wheels and the stock tire sizes for the WS6 will fit, however GM used a slightly taller rear suspension bumper on the WS6 and SS cars with the 17" wheels. Make very sure your stock suspension bumper is in good shape when you mount the wheels (made of a rubber compound that tends to break down over time). If you notice the tires rubbing under the top of the fenders when you go over bumps, you need a taller bump stop. You can get either a replacement set for a WS6 (expensive) or you can get an aftermarket set (much cheaper) that may require a bit of trimming to get it just right.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your car.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Decided to post here instead of starting a new one. -- I want to put 18's all around in place of the 17's that came on my 02 WS6 but I don't want the overall diameter to change. Can I go a little wider than stock and not rub the fenders or do I need to stay with the same width wheel . What tire size would I need to consider to make all this work. I'm hoping someone out there has already done this and can ' steer ' me in the right direction ( pun intended ).
    '02 Black RamAir M6--Kooks LTH, Magnaflo, Lowered Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks, Tuned By Frost, K&N & SLP box, Smooth bellows, polished TB, Spohn perf. suspension, shock tower brace. UMI 3point SFC. Front & side splitters w/ canards. American Racing 18" wheels & Mich. Pilot SS titres
    '76 LagunaS3 - 355ci , 350 turbo, 3:55's

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    Decided to post here instead of starting a new one. -- I want to put 18's all around in place of the 17's that came on my 02 WS6 but I don't want the overall diameter to change. Can I go a little wider than stock and not rub the fenders or do I need to stay with the same width wheel . What tire size would I need to consider to make all this work. I'm hoping someone out there has already done this and can ' steer ' me in the right direction ( pun intended ).
    Contact
    98TransAmWs-6

He has 18's on his car.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have 18×10.5 on all 4 corners of my car. I'm running 295/35/18 tires. I had to shave the bump stops down some in the rear. If I go to 305s like I plan I will probably need to use a hammer on the rear wheel wells to widen them some. Didn't have to do anything in the front.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I have 18×10.5 on all 4 corners of my car. I'm running 295/35/18 tires. I had to shave the bump stops down some in the rear. If I go to 305s like I plan I will probably need to use a hammer on the rear wheel wells to widen them some. Didn't have to do anything in the front.
    So, did that size of a tire increase the over all diameter of the wheel/tire ?? I don't understand why that would affect the bump-stop. Sorry to sound like a newb on this subject but I want to get it right and don't want to affect the speedo reading or rub the fender edges. also, is there a back spacing I should be concerned with or can it be the same as what's on there already?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

The diameter should not change much unless you go with a taller sidewall. Bump stops come into play when you get a tire with a certain width and sidewall height. I've had 275/35/18 and 335/30/18 tires on my car and the overall height of the tire is basically the same as the stock wheels and tires. Different tires are going to very a bit on height even with the same size tire....not much to notice but they may vary a bit.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Also in a trans am no no hammering shouldn't be required for fitting 305s. It actually has more to do with the offset of your wheel than anything, the closer to +50 you are the easier time you'll have. It does depend on the tire itself a bit as well since some tire company's tires are wider even in the same size as others. I've fit 335s on my TA no problem, I did remove the bump stop though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'll also add you may also need to roll the fenders too with big tires.

Thread Information