Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The coolers generally come with fittings, hoses, clamps, and a method of attachment. I elected against the B&M stacked plate design due to the angle our radiators are laid back. Seemed that a tube and fin style cooler would have better air flow through it.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

The Hayden trans cooler I have would be overkill for just a mild build. The cooler I have is made for extreme heat applications. Drag racing, road course racing, turbo's, blowers etc. A bunch of guys running big turbo's use the same cooler. You can't go wrong with this one, just probably don't need nothing this big. Although if in the future you wanna upgrade to forced induction, you are good to go. It never hurts to have less heat in the transmission. It does come with everything needed to install. Fittings, hose clamps, wire ties, mounting zip ties, etc. You can't go wrong with it.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    The Hayden trans cooler I have would be overkill for just a mild build. The cooler I have is made for extreme heat applications. Drag racing, road course racing, turbo's, blowers etc. A bunch of guys running big turbo's use the same cooler. You can't go wrong with this one, just probably don't need nothing this big. Although if in the future you wanna upgrade to forced induction, you are good to go. It never hurts to have less heat in the transmission. It does come with everything needed to install. Fittings, hose clamps, wire ties, mounting zip ties, etc. You can't go wrong with it.
    I was reading bigger is better when it comes to trans cooler right? I guess il look into what trans cooler you got! Plus it comes with everything.

The hayden trans cooler you said is 45$, thats a pretty good price. And your saying its really good? Whats the BTU ratings on it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

This is our trans cooler installed on the car. Without measuring I can not recall its dimensions, but this will give you a pretty good idea of its size. Trans temps generally stay below 180 degrees while driving. On a hot day, in traffic with the AC going, it'll get up to around 200 degrees which is still well in the safe zone.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Bigger is better in general. If you go to Summitracing.com, type in this part number in the "search" box. HDA512. It will pop right up. It has a cooling fan and temperature switch too. I Am not sure what the btu ratings are for it, but I can tell you that in traffic, 100' day, with a blower, 3200 stall convertor, and only a single radiator fan (the procharger set up takes away the twin fans, to make room for the blower head, and replaces with a single fan), the trans temp will on rise to around 210. Under normal conditions, the trans temp stays around 180-195.

Alright ive been convinced to get the cooler. But i need some opinipns. Its come to my attention that the 10 bolt is the main factor for ls1 cars.

But my car wont see a drag strip ever. Unless i decide to, than i will sace up for a S60 or a 12 bolt. But for right now the car wont visit a strip. Can anyone send me a link for a built kit for the 10 bolt? Id like to see what all is avaliabe.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I never have been to a drag strip and mine failed this year. I got lucky mine lasted much longer then most as I did mods. The problem is the gear teeth are too small for our cars hp. 10 bolts are just a time bomb not if but when. It really is true putting money into a 10 bolt is just a waste of time, effort and money. Do yourself a favor either start putting money away for a new rear or put it towards something else.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I never have been to a drag strip and mine failed this year. I got lucky mine lasted much longer then most as I did mods. The problem is the gear teeth are too small for our cars hp. 10 bolts are just a time bomb not if but when. It really is true putting money into a 10 bolt is just a waste of time, effort and money. Do yourself a favor either start putting money away for a new rear or put it towards something else.
    Where did you get your strange S60?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So, everyone has already mentioned all the good stuff. But, I would recommend doing some research on tires. Especially if its your DD. I'll tell you: I did my homework when it came to tires, and the swap totally transformed the car. Don't overlook the effects of getting the best tires you can afford and that are purpose built for how you want your car to behave.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can go to Strange's website and shop there, I believe. We run a Moser 12 bolt in our car and beat it at the track whenever we get the chance. The Strange S60 is a beautiful rear that is damn near bulletproof. You can also choose from 9" and 12 bolt options that are all designed to fit our cars. If you are M6 you'll want 4.10's and on an A4 3.73's work real nice. Note that in swapping out the rear you may need a different drive shaft length -- we had to go shorter by around 3/4", if I recall.

I ordered the hayden trans cooler man. Hope its worth it!

Can anyone tell me which nitrous kit is prefered to get? Id like to get a link of a kit of everything i need to run it safe. Ive decided to buy a kit tax return.

I need as much help as i can so if you guys can list me everything i need to run it safe.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by Joe1157 View Post
    I ordered the hayden trans cooler man. Hope its worth it!
    You wont be disappointed with that cooler. I can't give you any recommendations on the NOS kit though. I only have NA and blower experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    You wont be disappointed with that cooler. I can't give you any recommendations on the NOS kit though. I only have NA and blower experience.
    Im looking around for the best place to put it. I think im gonna go with putting under the passenger side headlight. I was reading a little bit about it could mess up things if you put it in front of your radiator.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would absolutely mount it in front of the radiator -- there is really no other area with unrestricted airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I would absolutely mount it in front of the radiator -- there is really no other area with unrestricted airflow.
    It wont mess anything up?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Unless you bugger something up in the installation process, not at all. I have had a trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator on our Suburban since we bought it in 2010, and one on our F-body for about the same period of time. Zero issues on both.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Where did you get your strange S60?
    Sorry just saw this.

Got mine from central racing parts. Owned and run by a guy named Carl spent a good hour on the phone talking to him about all my options and what would be best for me. For the price at the time it couldn't be beat. Came straight from strange ready to go just needed to unbolt and drop the 10 bolt and bolt in the new s60. The only thing you have to do is send them your backing plates off your 10 bolt.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

It wont mess anything up?
    I installed mine in front of the ac condenser. No issues. It's a tight fit if you put the washer fluid container back in, but I want to be able to wash my windows when needed. It also is my meth fluid holder. Lol

Thread Information