Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

All season street tire options

Looking for all season street tires.
    I drive my car year round. Yes, even in light snow. Looking at Sumic GT-A and Kumho Ecsta. Any experiences with these tires? Any other all season for rain and snow recommended?

We used to drive our other 4th gen around in the snow when we lived in Ohio. I had a couple different brands at that time, none were great in the slick stuff. I don't think you'll find any tire with such a wide profile that will help you in the snow. They tend to ride on top rather than dig in. Always been my experience anyway. Which eventually led to me just running another set of rims with studded tires for the snow days.

My favorite all around tires are Michelins, I've had excellent luck with BFG's and I run Kuhmo's on the front of another car, good tire. Firestones and Goodyears on 2 other cars that work nicely.

I've never heard of Sumic so can't help you there. When the names start getting too weird or I've never heard of them, I just play it safe and tend to stick with what I know.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Somebody please buy a set of MT Street Comps and give me their opinion.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Haven't dealt with them personally, but I have installed Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on a few cars, and I haven't heard the customers complain when they returned for routine maintenance. But this was at past jobs.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    We used to drive our other 4th gen around in the snow when we lived in Ohio. I had a couple different brands at that time, none were great in the slick stuff. I don't think you'll find any tire with such a wide profile that will help you in the snow. They tend to ride on top rather than dig in. Always been my experience anyway. Which eventually led to me just running another set of rims with studded tires for the snow days.

My favorite all around tires are Michelins, I've had excellent luck with BFG's and I run Kuhmo's on the front of another car, good tire. Firestones and Goodyears on 2 other cars that work nicely.

I've never heard of Sumic so can't help you there. When the names start getting too weird or I've never heard of them, I just play it safe and tend to stick with what I know.
    I am somewhat parallel with this^

If you can afford it, get a seperate set of wheels and snow tires. Pretty much any grippy tire's compound will go hockey-puck hard in the snow.

I ran BFG Super Sport All Seasons and got stuck several times in the snow, and those were the best all seasons Ive had.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I've had Bridgestone pole position re960 for the last 45000 miles 4 seasons.
    They did great in snow until it gets deep.
    Unfortunately they no longer make this tire in 245 50 16. Seems not very many options are available anymore. Especially all seasons.
    Every place around here is pushing the bf goodrich super sport all season, which from what I can find are not much use in snow just like whamhammer said.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Any experiences with firestone wide oval all season?
    They are backordered locally, but I found them at a dealer a couple hours away.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I posted another thread looking at tire sizes as the options are so limited in this size. Thanks to all who replied.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Update. Had kumho ast tires installed today in stock size.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    I've had Bridgestone pole position re960 for the last 45000 miles 4 seasons.
    They did great in snow until it gets deep.
    Unfortunately they no longer make this tire in 245 50 16. Seems not very many options are available anymore. Especially all seasons.
    Every place around here is pushing the bf goodrich super sport all season, which from what I can find are not much use in snow just like whamhammer said.
    I'm on my second set of BFG super sports. No problems with the tires at all, work fine. But we don't get snow where we live now so can't comment on that end.

I have run the Firestone wide ovals in the past and I liked the tires. I currently run Firestone all seasons on my 79 1 ton because it's the only tire I can find around here that fits the 16.5" rims. They are a E load range truck tire that so far work fantastic.

I think your best option right now are probably Kuhmo's. I have those on another car and like them so far.

Edit: Ooops I see your last post, you already bought the Kuhmo's, lol. I think you'll be happy with those.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Update. Had kumho ast tires installed today in stock size.
    Worst case scenario, if you dont like how they hold up in the snow, 16 inch F-body wheels come pretty cheap (might even find base Camaro steelies out there) and toss on a set of 26 inch snow tires on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Worst case scenario, if you dont like how they hold up in the snow, 16 inch F-body wheels come pretty cheap (might even find base Camaro steelies out there) and toss on a set of 26 inch snow tires on them.
    That's what I did. Studded snow tires, couple bags of kitty litter in the trunk, I went anywhere I cared to drive in 6" of that stuff. Still only drove it when needed. Most of the time we took the 4x4 everywhere in the snow.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

2Nd the 4x4. I drive the K1500 blazer when I know it's going to snow. Just want to be able to make it home on the days they don't get the forecast right.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I hear that. Last set I paid 100 for and they were the same chrome style I have on the car. Still sitting in a relatives garage

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Ive always had Kumho Ecsta on my TA since i've owned it for well over 10 years now. Good all year around, BUT I don't drive in the snow with the TA. So I have no opinion on snow driving with them.That's what my Silverado is for. LOL
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I hear that. Last set I paid 100 for and they were the same chrome style I have on the car. Still sitting in a relatives garage
    I hear the sound of the grippiest 245/50/16 or 255/50/16s that money can buy for the warm months then.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, even though he already got tires, I'm going to throw this out there. I've said it dozens of times before, and I'm sticking with it: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s. I have the (discontinued) Pilot Sport A/S Plus, which was replaced by the A/S 3. They blew my Goodyear Eagle F1s out of the water in both wet and dry driving. I can't remember if I ever tried to use them in the snow, but I do remember that I got stuck one time (not sure which tires were on it) just spinning my wheels: I couldn't get up the hump of my driveway onto the street. Even when "riding" the clutch from a stop (no gas), tires just spun... It was probably the Goodyears...

Thread Information