Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Its old post, but after this long....was the 9 inch the right width for the 275 35 18? I got a set of those tires in the garage and was going to squeeze them on my 18x85, but then was thinking to go 18x9 or 9.5 if I can find some I like. I don't think I would want anything wider really.
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

The tires work well on the wheels. I was just thinking about this the other day: at my current power level (360 wheel), I sometimes have trouble with traction in 1st gear at WOT, even with a rolling start: it's not that the tires screech and lay rubber, but when the road is not perfectly flat/smooth, it's like they just skip a little bit (the engine continues to rev, but there are split second lags in the surge of G forces... this, of course, is as measured by the seat of my pants). Generally speaking, accelerating away from the on-ramp meter, the car pulls strong all the way to redline. One the street, if there are little pebbles or cracks in the road, or if it is remotely bumpy or whatever, I think I can feel little "slips" that last some very small fraction of a second.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

You think a wider wheel with creating a flatter profile of the tread on tires would help that lateral strength? I see mostly that the skinny wheel will flex the tire edges and compromise sidewalls allowing them to roll over. You think that could be happening?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I don't know... perhaps so. It was a long and arduous endeavor to figure out what wheel/tire combo to get. I would have liked a 9.5", but after looking into it, I found that the wheels I wanted (light weight, 18") did not come available with the right bolt pattern for my car.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

I am thinking I will try the 8.5 with the 275 35 18 I have and see how it works

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah, let us know.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    The tires work well on the wheels. I was just thinking about this the other day: at my current power level (360 wheel), I sometimes have trouble with traction in 1st gear at WOT, even with a rolling start: it's not that the tires screech and lay rubber, but when the road is not perfectly flat/smooth, it's like they just skip a little bit (the engine continues to rev, but there are split second lags in the surge of G forces... this, of course, is as measured by the seat of my pants). Generally speaking, accelerating away from the on-ramp meter, the car pulls strong all the way to redline. One the street, if there are little pebbles or cracks in the road, or if it is remotely bumpy or whatever, I think I can feel little "slips" that last some very small fraction of a second.
    What you are experiencing is “wheel hop”, and has more to do with suspension, and spring set-up. A shorter sidewall will amplify the effect.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So... what you're saying is that it takes a torque arm to fix that....?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    So... what you're saying is that it takes a torque arm to fix that....?
    A better torque arm/bushing wouldn’t hurt but there may be other solutions depending on why it’s happening.

Some of the other guys might be able to chime in with a more authorative answer.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, according to my reading... LCAs and relocation brackets, PHB, and torque arm are the means to address it.

I have LCAs (poly/roto combo), adjustable PHB, Koni shocks... seems like either the relocation brackets or the torque arm... if what I'm getting is indeed wheel hop...?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information