Server Issues/Low FPS/High Ping NEED HELP!!!

OK....so I'm an admin on eGo (Edge Gamers Organization). Lately I've been having serious issues with low FPS and extremely high ping while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2. I've never had problems before, even though the server is located in Dallas TX. For some reason over the past week it's been so bad that I can't even play. Any thoughts of what might be going on or what I could do? The ping will go to 999, drop back to the mid hundreds, drop lower to where i used to play (103 or so) and then shoot back up to 999. FPS gets worse when the ping goes up.

I've tried EVERYTHING....virus scans, uninstalled updates, tracerouts, ping tests,etc. Comcast says this is not on their side. Internet connection looks good and I've tried resetting/turning the router off numerous times. I know ZILCH about computers.

blue
    1999 TransAm

- did you attempt to isolate the router by just plugging the computer directly into the modem?...
    - ethernet cable could be bad, try another one..
    - could try updrading to a newer driver for your computer's NIC (network interface card, i.e LAN connection)...

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    OK....so I'm an admin on eGo (Edge Gamers Organization). Lately I've been having serious issues with low FPS and extremely high ping while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2. I've never had problems before, even though the server is located in Dallas TX. For some reason over the past week it's been so bad that I can't even play. Any thoughts of what might be going on or what I could do? The ping will go to 999, drop back to the mid hundreds, drop lower to where i used to play (103 or so) and then shoot back up to 999. FPS gets worse when the ping goes up.

I've tried EVERYTHING....virus scans, uninstalled updates, tracerouts, ping tests,etc. Comcast says this is not on their side. Internet connection looks good and I've tried resetting/turning the router off numerous times. I know ZILCH about computers.
    Can you run a continuous ping and see if it's dropping packets or if it's spiking at a certain point? Just run a continuous ping on the server IP address and see what it does.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

The server IP address is listed as 74.201.57.195. I ran a ping test using Website speed test and the result was 152 MS. I'm assuming that's high because they stated anything lower than 50 MS would show up as a green bar. Anything over- yellow. These were all yellow.

Black / White

The server IP address is listed as 74.201.57.195. I ran a ping test using Website speed test and the result was 152 MS. I'm assuming that's high because they stated anything lower than 50 MS would show up as a green bar. Anything over- yellow. These were all yellow.
    Ping 8.8.8.8 and tell me what you get.

FYI...8.8.8.8 is Google's DNS server so if you get a high ping on that one it's something either on your ISP's end or yours but we can narrow that down as well. Just need to get some base info.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 01-13-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Sounds good, I will try that when I get home from work this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Ping 8.8.8.8 and tell me what you get.

FYI...8.8.8.8 is Google's DNS server so if you get a high ping on that one it's something either on your ISP's end or yours but we can narrow that down as well. Just need to get some base info.
    Just ran the test, came back 3 MS. Went out and bought a new coax, Ethernet cable and tried to hook up to the cable port in my room. Apparently it's off so Comcast is going to come out Friday afternoon and hook it up. We'll see if running Ethernet directly from the router to the PC does anything. If not, I would guess that it's on the server side?
    Last edited by cam02ss; 01-14-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Black / White

Just ran the test, came back 3 MS. Went out and bought a new coax, Ethernet cable and tried to hook up to the cable port in my room. Apparently it's off so Comcast is going to come out Friday afternoon and hook it up. We'll see if running Ethernet directly from the router to the PC does anything. If not, I would guess that it's on the server side?
    For some reason I didnt get an alert that you responded to this thread...sorry about that.

But yes to answer your question if you run an ethernet cable straight from the router or modem to your PC and you are stilling getting latency issues that is more than likely the server issue and not your connection.

3 MS pinging Google's DNS server also makes me think its the server your connecting to because thats a pretty normal ping time compared to what you were getting and all you changed was the address that you were connecting to. If it was your connection you would have still received a high ping.

Comcast came the other day, running off the router now and everything is fine. Not sure if it was the wifi, or the cable...but gaming is back to normal now lol. Thanks for the input! The server does lag sometimes..there are a few people on the forum mentioning that.

Damn! Comcast has been doing this for years. Bad service, indeed.

Thread Information