Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Monsoon speaker replacement

So, im sure these questions has floated around 1,000,000+ times on here, but here goes..
    So I have combed through numerous forums and havent found an exact answer, I have heard just the sail subs are 2 ohm and the rest are all 4 ohm, and that they are all 2 ohm, any clarification on that?
    Blew my sail sub on passenger side and looking to replace it, I saw one guys put a jl sub in its place and I considered doing that and running them off like a 400-600 watt amp and just skipping the stock amp and plugs, but when I spoke to a guy at a local stereo shop he brought up the good point that there is all that empty space in the fender, and would sound like shit, anyone done this and can confirm it still thumps good? And/or is there a good way to fill that area? Or should I just buy the 2 ohm dvc kicker replacement s? I dont want a whole lot of thump, but a little would be nice, my 12 was too much. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for asking probably a stupid question haha

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I would just replace the speaker....if you add another amp you might as well go all out and upgrade the entire system to 4 ohm ... rewire, new speakers, and new amps...for a new amp your going to need to pull apart the interior on one side of the car to add the wiring... might as well do the speaker wiring at that point....comes down to money....if you want better sound upgrade everything...

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Im already wired for an amp, im going to leave the stock monsoon amp, and the rear hatch speakers alone. Just looking to replace the sail sub speakers and the front door speakers. So does that mean that all the speakers are 2 ohm?

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

The plan was to use the already ran wires for the smaller amp to run the 6.5 subs. And take the 12 and 1200 watt amp out.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Contact Crutchfield, they will have the answers and parts you need.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by M1K3H00D View Post
    Im already wired for an amp, im going to leave the stock monsoon amp, and the rear hatch speakers alone. Just looking to replace the sail sub speakers and the front door speakers. So does that mean that all the speakers are 2 ohm?
    I seem to remember that the T/A are wired differently than the Camaro. I had custom tweeter pods installed up top the doors. For the Camaro from my notes: 2 ohms mids and subs and 4 ohms tweeters mounted coaxially in the door. 4 ohms in the hatch.

The mids are powered off the amp at 2 ohms and the tweeters off the HU at 4 ohms. Like I said though, I seem to remember that the Camaro was a little different than the T/A as far as ohms. I think they are all 2 ohms. But, I'm not certain.

These guys sell replacements for our cars.
    Kee Audio: Firebird and Camaro Speaker Package

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

So the new speakers you plan on running will be on new amps?

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Almost sounds like he wants to use the Monsoon amp for the new speakers. Thats why he is trying to match omhs.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Yeah. Just wanted to either replace stock sail subs that are blown with some after market mid subs OR put some actual 6.5 inch subs in there and run them off a seperate amp and mount it behind the seats and run the wires under the carpet and through the panels to the rear sail sub locations. And just leave the stock wiring hangind out. Maybe a 4 channel amp and run 2 channels to the subs in the sail sub area and bridge the other 2 to a 10 inch stealth box in the hatch area. But as far as the front doors go, they are for sure going to be ran off the stock monsoon amp, just need to know thw ohm for the mid and tweeter

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    So the new speakers you plan on running will be on new amps?
    Just the rear sails, if of course an actual 6.5 sub would sound good in there, there is a lot of space in the fender and behind there though.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You will need a box to hold those subs. That cheap plastic will do you no favors. Do like I did, and get a sneak box. They fit in the well where your changer goes. Driver's side back corner. I have a 10 with 800 watts pushing it, and it THUMPS. The non-vented box, and the divider and the hatch all work to amplify its effect. Directs all the base forward. you can still use your stck HU, just put in a signal convertor. It wires into one of your sail sub wires, and converts the signal to RCA pre-outs. Run the pwer wire, and you are done. I reccomend ripping out every piece of wiring in the car, though and laying your own system from the ground up. That is what I did. Couldn't be happier. Pioneer doubel din DVD player, Polk speakers, Kicker sub, 800 watt amp, capacitor. One ten is all most people need, and it doesn't take up any space.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Get the amp from a pawn shop, and I found lamp cord from Home Depot. Nice and thick, and cheap. The rest you will want to buy new. A word of caution, though, you def want to put in a capacitor if you put in a decent size amp. It will save your alternator. Your lights won't dim, and your amp will really hit your sub. Noticable difference in bass.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I have looked into this replacement system and have contacted them and they have put together a quality system to use with factory power as well as adding another amp. There are several levels to choose from. I already have level 2 on the Christmas list. He said they sound great with stock amp but will also handle a little added power. Level 2 has better subs than level 1.if I remember they go up to level 4.
    I've been jamming to the Magna Flow channel lately since my speakers went. It rocks
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post

I have looked into this replacement system and have contacted them and they have put together a quality system to use with factory power as well as adding another amp. There are several levels to choose from. I already have level 2 on the Christmas list. He said they sound great with stock amp but will also handle a little added power. Level 2 has better subs than level 1.if I remember they go up to level 4.
    I've been jamming to the Magna Flow channel lately since my speakers went. It rocks
    Yeah that's where I heard about the bazookas, and on here. Thats what I am thinking about when the wife lets me spend a little. Not sure if I want to do a package just yet. We shall see. Thinking a component set of alpines, any thoughts?

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

...for the front that is. And bazookas in the sails.

Thread Information