Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

lt1 freak motor?

So have a question about lt1 engines.... Have a buddy that races mods on paved oval. A kid that races at the track was talking about his bolt on lt1 said something along the lines that two plants made a mistake bored the engine over or something of that nature and put them in 97s and his trans am is one of them. Said the make 385 at the fly and are dubbed freak motors... any truth to this?
    2002 WS6 A4 Slp lid,
    longtube headers w/ high flow cats,
    loudmouth exhaust, SLP y-pipe,
    799 Heads, TSP Tv2, Dual valve springs, titanium retainers,
    Chromoly pushrods, 12 Bolt rear 3.73 gears
    torque thrust II black 17-9.5" front 17-10" rear

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Sounds like he might be talking about the LT4, which made its way into a limited number of V8 F-bodies in either 1996 or 1997. Don't recall any specifics, though.

Edit: Went and did some quick research. The LT4 made its way into 108 30th anniversary SS Camaros (including 2 prototypes) in 1997. It was rated at 330hp.
    Last edited by FinZ28; 03-06-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Well that's not the case I don't think cause he has just a plain Jane trans am. Other than he bought appearance parts to make it look ws6ish hood wing wheels the likes he's also the same guy that told me his gtp was faster than my ws6....

2002 trans am ws6

I could be wrong, but as far as I know the lt4 was a modded lt1 with better heads and a more aggressive cam with some other minor things like rackets.

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

big diff between lt1 and lt4...heads cam intake
    my understanding is that the only fbodys at all to recieve the lt4 is the 97ss 30th anniversary edition ie arctic white with hugger stripes and all the other anniversary edition goodies

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

385 HP at the flywheel still comes around to 305-310 to the wheels. No such think as a "freak motor" = urban myth. Quality control would have pulled those blocks that were over bored due to not have correct pistons and rings on the assembly line.

Now his buddy might be confused with a 383 stroker LT1.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

No I swear he said from factory it had the same HP as an ls1 lol and his bolt on lt1 would smoke my bolt on ls1 cause his was Manny and mine is auto. Or in his words not a real trans am ( none of this said to my face not I out weigh him by about 125 and 6" lol)

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
    No I swear he said from factory it had the same HP as an ls1 lol and his bolt on lt1 would smoke my bolt on ls1 cause his was Manny and mine is auto. Or in his words not a real trans am ( none of this said to my face not I out weigh him by about 125 and 6" lol)
    Unless it's a Firehawk with the LT4, then no. Only 29 were made. He's blowing smoke up your ass. Tell him to go to the track and show you what he's got

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    Unless it's a Firehawk with the LT4, then no. Only 29 were made. He's blowing smoke up your ass. Tell him to go to the track and show you what he's got
    I think I like the sound of that lol. Thanks for the clarity guys so no freak motor then.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
    I'll admit I've lost to a stock LT1 with my bolt ons (see signature). His was stock except for headers, stage 2.5 build for his M6 internals and no muffler.

He is a tool if he thinks auto f bodies can race well. He needs to start reading or seeing what is going on at the track. Auto's have been running strong at the track for several years now. A lot of Pro's are using autos getting better times then manuals. They (autos) shift so much faster then anyone driving a M6. A cam car with a stall to match it and a proper tune can be a bad ass car.

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post

Like Chris said tell him to prove it at the track and not just one race, try best of 3 out of 5.

There are so many things that effect the outcome of a race besides motor, here are just a few......

M6 vs A4, does the A4 have a stall, does the M6 have a good clutch, can the driver with a M6 properly shift at correct times
    Rear end - what gear ratio
    Suspension mods - any
    Tires - street vs slicks/DR's, soft, warm and sticky vs cold and hard
    reaction time - who's better
    track surface
    Race weight - less then 50 lb difference, not to much however have a 200-300 difference then yeah that starts to effect it.

IMHO this guy sounds like most trash talking douche bags that brag/talk shit about how great their cars are but when it comes down to proving it they either bow out or make enough excuses they give Obama a run for his money on why it's not his fault they lost.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 03-08-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Wow man thanks for the confidence boost about the auto people have some dumb opinions on what a car should have trans wise I get plenty of grief from some people. Its like I'm happy with my car why's it your business if I don't have to shift?! Just gives me an extra hand to wave bye-bye with lol

Navy Blue Metallic

It's always better to ask a question then to live in ignorance.

Now if you are looking to do some mods we can give plenty of advice, translation = we can spend your money

You need to do some home work, research what you want, ask questions, look at others set ups, etc.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Lol sounds good to me.

Thread Information