Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I just use my laptop in the garage.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Started out the day blowing some paint on the driveshaft and sway bar over top of the POR-15. I used a cast iron gray finish that I found in the back of the cabinet on the sway bar and the high temp stuff I purchased on Friday went on the driveshaft. Once the paint was dry to the touch, I installed the new u-joints using my dead blow hammer and press. The sway bar went back in with new bushings and end links. I had to flag my neighbor down to come sit on the bumper and compress the suspension enough for me to get the nut started on the driver side end link.

The driveshaft went back in and fits nicely within the safety loop. I totally forgot to pick up a new tail stock seal, but as Sammie was already down town I sent her to Autozone for a Timken seal after looking up the part number on their website and calling to ensure that they had one on the shelf.

With the driveshaft in place, I unpacked the exhaust system and laid everything out on the floor. Quite a bit nicer than the factory bends and definitely has larger tubing, although I did not measure it to check the difference. The mufflers are Pypes Race Pros and as you can see from the pic it is a straight through shot.

It took a while to get everything lined up and fitting the way it should. I slid the pipes into each end of the mufflers until the end of the pipe was flush with the notches in the muffler inlet and outlet. I then marked each of the pipes at 1" intervals so I could gauge how far into the muffler each one was once everything was in place. This also helped to assure that nothing moved as I went back over and tweaked things for better fit and clearance. The tips exit behind the rear tires and are angle cut similar to the factory exhaust system. I may have to go back and re-adjust them once more after I look at the car on the ground. One hole had to be drilled into each frame rail for the tips to be mounted using a 3/8" bolt and the supplied polyurethane insulators.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I can't wait to check this thing out at Carlisle. I think Dave may be tagging along this year, as well. So be sure to have plenty of towels on hand to wipe up the drool.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The car looks awesome Jeff! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns with the kit.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I can't wait to check this thing out at Carlisle. I think Dave may be tagging along this year, as well. So be sure to have plenty of towels on hand to wipe up the drool.

She's not perfect, has a few battle scars and such.

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    The car looks awesome Jeff! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns with the kit.

Thanks Brandon! Probably should just bring a down pipe and test pipe to the show with you in June. I have just a bit of an angle issue with the test pipe that's in the car now, when I tightened everything up it dropped the system down a bit too low imo. May just notch it with my die grinder and re-weld the bottom of the flange on the test pipe for now. The system fits good and certainly looks a lot better flowing than the stocker. Still have to touch it off and hear what it sounds like. Thank you again!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I pulled the rear cover last night and allowed the differential to drain. The cover cleaned up good in the blast cabinet and now has a coat of high temp cast iron gray. I'll install the cover tomorrow and fill the rear with Lucas 80W-90 gear oil together with the requisite posi additive. Everything inside looked good and there was almost no debris on the magnet attached to the inside of the cover.

While the primer coat was drying on the cover, I went at the test pipe with my die grinder and Sawzall. I cut a wedge shape notch out of the pipe flush with the flange. The weld on the opposite side was then notched to allow the flange to bend to meet the pipe at the correct angle. This should alleviate the mating issue I had with the Pypes setup and will allow the system to tuck up better to the underbody of the car. I'll weld it up tomorrow night and will then be able to start the car for the first time with the new exhaust system in place.

Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

I still love the GNX. Classic sleeper. It looks like something that Darth Vader would drive.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I reinstalled the rear cover and while the gasket sealer was curing, I went to town with my welder on the test pipe. Other than managing to set myself on fire in the process, the flange weld came out pretty decent and everything now fits real nice under the car. The flange was essentially welded on at a 90 degree angle before I cut it down. The pic of it standing up shows the angle I had to put on it to mate with the catback. I haven't turned the key yet, so not sure how the system sounds. After the exhaust was bolted back together, I dumped in around 4.25 pints of Lucas 80W-90 gear oil together with the requisite positive additive.

Last edited by pajeff02; 05-15-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

nice project Jeff, the car is looking great, it deserves to be taking care.
    let's see whats coming up next

i love the black GRAND NATIONAL but they are way to high in price for my budget!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Found a Fel-Pro gasket kit at Napa for the turbo. I need to replace the gasket on the oil drain back tube as it is weeping a bit. I snugged the bolts, but she still drips. At least I know there is oil getting to the turbo.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Nice weld Jeff

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Found a Fel-Pro gasket kit at Napa for the turbo. I need to replace the gasket on the oil drain back tube as it is weeping a bit. I snugged the bolts, but she still drips. At least I know there is oil getting to the turbo.
    Hey you know what they say... "if it stops leaking, then you have a problem..."

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Pulled the cigarette lighter housing out of the dash this evening and am trying to figure out why the lighter doesn't fit properly. It is definitely the correct lighter for the car so not sure what is going on. I have the car set on blocks under the wheels right now so I can double check my exhaust system clearance with the suspension compressed tomorrow when I head back out to the garage.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Well Jeff, I can say with certainty that you do know what the heck you're doing! Want to come out to Cali and help me with the '62 Special?
    That car looks like a dream come true. I hope mine comes out half that good! I can't believe they make so much power with just a couple of "tweeks"!
    Keep the rubber side down!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks! Haven't been to Cali since '99 when we spent a week in Monterey. I wouldn't mind wrenching on another Buick... but that is a hell of a commute.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Jeff, I have a Holiday Inn Express right down the street!! With what I see on these posts, I am sure I could work something out for you; just bring the GM Service Manual with you!

(JK!!, though it would be great to have you, I don't know how I can afford it! I was just dreaming!)
    Last edited by RayzS10; 05-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Took the Regal for another shakedown cruise this evening. Everything seemed fine and the new exhaust is much improved over the rusted out stocker. All that is left now is to fix the coolant weep in the heater hose piping and replace the gasket on the oil drain back tube on the turbo. Then she'll be all set for the GM show later next month.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I replaced the gasket on the turbo oil drain tube a few days ago. The bolts came out fine and the tube is flexible enough that I was able to move it around a bit to scrape off the old gasket. I placed a paper towel into the tube to keep any junk from falling down into the oil pan. Picture is kind of blurry, but you get the idea of how tight access was. I finally received the new heater hose tube assembly today. They sort of forgot to ship it to me after I placed the order.

Orange
    1970 Camaro

Here is a link to one very similar to yours. My friend did an off frame on his and is very nice. He actually split the block in half trying to race in X275 @ Milan dragstrip.

RYANS TURBO T

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information