Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV advice

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I do this too except in the bedroom

blue
    1999 TransAm

check out hdguru's website for comparisions on which brands/models do what..

also, i'd mention "LED" is a misnomer, as it, generally, is just the backlight source being LED... the display is really an LCD, which produces the images... prior generations of LCD tvs used CCFL, "cold-cathode-florescent-light" for backlighting... now, two "LED"-backlit tvs are not alike, ...there are "edge-lit" and true backlit LED backlighting methods... the latter is much better than the former, ..but the former is the most prevalent and generally "leaks" light where the LCD interfaces w/ the bezel of the display... it makes for lightweight and slim tvs, but i'm not a fan of "edge-lit" backlighting...

as for brands, ..i don't know, but i'm using a 2011 model LG LCD (CCFL-backlit) for my main computer monitor, and it is very nice for my tastes...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

we got the vizio and I got it hooked up while ago. It'll work fine for what we need I believe. The price and the picture at that price made sense. I still have to hook up my surround and stuff but that won't be a big deal. Thanks for all the opinions and advice. I really looked at a bunch of different tv's and this one just fit us better. Had I of not just spent so much on the couch I could've gotten a much larger and better tv but shit happens and this is way better than the 53" projection we were using.

red
    95 Z28

Yeah despite being a "cheaper" tv, I'm sure it will blow away that projection setup you had. Especially with viewing angles

cusin bought a sony and its always has problems...

i bought my godfather a LG and that POS fell apart the first day and then blew one speaker while waiting for the repair guy to come, i returned it and told LG to go fuck themselfs, i then bought him a Samsung and its badass, way better built on the outside, the LG felt like it was going to fall apart just taking it out the box. Samsung had WAY better picture as well

Vizio is like a everyday tv, like it gets the job done but nothing to call home about, almost like a DD car lol

mitsubishi use to be the top of the line back years ago, im not sure how they are nowadays, i havent kept up with them
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 10-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

I have a 40" Sony Bravia LED LCD in the den and a 55" Panasonic plasma in my Man Cave.

The plasma absolutely smokes the Sony in picture quality, but the Sony has a ton of web apps and channels (literally hundreds of web channels). It will also take random fits of rebooting itself after the latest firmware upgrade.

The plasma could almost double as a heater to stand close to on cold mornings.

You'll be happy with the Visio. From everything I've read on their recent stuff it is just as reliable as anybody else's and a great bang for the buck.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    I have a 40" Sony Bravia LED LCD in the den and a 55" Panasonic plasma in my Man Cave.

The plasma absolutely smokes the Sony in picture quality, but the Sony has a ton of web apps and channels (literally hundreds of web channels). It will also take random fits of rebooting itself after the latest firmware upgrade.

The plasma could almost double as a heater to stand close to on cold mornings.

You'll be happy with the Visio. From everything I've read on their recent stuff it is just as reliable as anybody else's and a great bang for the buck.
    I noticed the heat in the stores from the plasma tv's. I walked down one isle that had them on both sides all the way down and I bet it was a 20 degree difference over the rest of the store.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Samsung, hands down. Do it once, and do it right. I own 2 Samsung televisions; a 40" LCD in the bedroom and a 55" LED in the living room. Best televisions I've ever owned. Zero problems. Owned the smaller one since 2008 and the 55" I bought in 2010. Samsung rules when it comes to TV's.

Stick to 120Hz. Your eye won't notice the jump to 240Hz.

My picture quality is exceptional.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Never mind, seen you got the Vizio.

How do you like it so far?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information