Out in the garage...

Sebring Silver
    2000 Camaro SS (R.I.P.)

Question Auburn rear info needed

My SS has the SLP Auburn rear option and it's time for a fluid change. Someone told me to never use synthetic in the Auburn or a gasket behind the cover. I used to know a website that listed all of the parts necessary for the fluid change, but I have no idea what it is any more. Any help/info will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

BTW, yes, I've already used the search option......
    Last edited by 2000 SS #1305; 03-23-2006 at 02:36 PM.
    -- J. Bennett
    1999 NBM Camaro SS #4312
    SLP lid w/ K&N, Delphi/Lucas 42lb injectors, Pacesetter coated LTs, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow exhaust, Spec 2+ clutch, Strange 12 bolt, Detroit Truetrac 3.73 gears, BMR adj torque arm, BMR SFCs, BMR LCAs, BMR adj panhard rod, 18" chrome ZO6 wheels

1995 Z28 & 2002 Z28

I have no idea why you couldnt use a synthetic in a Auburn. My guess would be that synthetic is more "slippery" for lack of a better term than convantional oil and because the Auburn uses a conical clutch material seated in a machined counterbore in the carrier rather than flat clutch packs. Maybe the cones dont grab as easy with synthetic. If you use a conventional gear oil you must use the posi additive, if you use synthetic you do not need it. I have a T-56 in my car and when i changed the ATF to synthetic I found it did not shift as well. Someone told me the synchros didnt work as well with synhetic for just that reason. I switched back to conventional ATF and it shifts good again. Valvoline has a blend of conventional and synthetic, this can not be accomplished by simply adding one bottle of synthetic to a bottle of conventional. Valvoline makes their product special. As for no gasket.. why any one wouldnt use a gasket is beyond me, unless your using silicone which I dont reccomend, it looks all sloppy and orange dripping out of your inspection cover. Gaskets are fine. i know never to replace a O ring sealed part with a gasket or visa versa but I know you can typicaly replace any gasket with silicone depending on the grade of silicone and its application RTV blue, RTV red etc... I think the best way to find out for sure is by contacting Auburn directly.

Auburn Gear Inc.

400 East Auburn Drive
    Auburn, IN 46706 - 3499
    USA

Phone: (260) 925-3200
    Fax: (260) 925-4725

All the parts you need are a gasket, fluid (additive with conventional) and a can of brake cleaner to rinse the particles out of the carrier.

99 Firebird Formula

Whether you want to use a gasket or not is your choice. I just happen to like RTV better so that's what I use...but whether you have an auburn or not does not affect your gasket or no gasket decision.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

My 01 SS has the Auburn rear. Per my SLP owners manual it states that 80W - 90 mineral (non synthetic) oil and 2 ounes of GM limited slip additive must be used. GM limited slip additive can be purchased at any GM dealer. The AAM cover installed on your rear does not use a gasket. They tell you not to use a gasket for a reason. The rear end housing has been drilled to allow oil flow across the cover for cooling. Using a gasket will block off the ports. Use Loctite black RTV on the cover.

don't put synthetic in it.the cone clutches wear fast if you do.

Thread Information