Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Oh well. As long as I don't see any red/blues in my rearview when I am out having fun(for a short time), then I'm good.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You don't NEED a car either....bikes or nikes work.

My point on this...I am okay with it tracking. Even off.
    What if your wife and kids get into an accident on a road with little traffic?? Track them?? YES PLEASE!

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

When you work 30miles from home you need a car.

If you are really worried about the wife or kids when they are driving you can put a GPS or your own tracker in the car. You dont need to rely on the governments to track them and everywhere you go

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    You don't NEED a car either....bikes or nikes work.

My point on this...I am okay with it tracking. Even off.
    What if your wife and kids get into an accident on a road with little traffic?? Track them?? YES PLEASE!
    i can see the benefit in an emergency situation - car jacking, auto theft, ...but other than that you might be concerned about the civil liberties aspect, ...i.e. who's "lists" are you on?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I guess I just don't care.
    The likelihood of them actually tracking me is probably less likely than if the family needed it in an emergency.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    i can see the benefit in an emergency situation - car jacking, auto theft, ...but other than that you might be concerned about the civil liberties aspect, ...i.e. who's "lists" are you on?
    This

It's one thing if you opt in to pay for and use the service. It's another if you opt out but are still being 'tracked'. It may not seem like an issue to some, but, sometime in the future, unfortunately, it may. IMO, It's not the place of the government to track our every move. And these days, GM=government.

Tan 79 and Red 01
    79 Z28 & 01 SS SLP

Funny thing is when my Z-71 was stolen a couple of years ago I told the officer taking the report that it was equiped with On-star but I didn't pay for the service. They could switch it on and see exactly where my truck was.......Nope! They don't do that.....so my insurance paid me over $18K to replace it and they never found a single piece of my ride! Makes a bunch of sense doesn't it?

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I guess I just don't care.
    The likelihood of them actually tracking me is probably less likely than if the family needed it in an emergency.
    there are some who relish in attitudes like this, ...there names are Google and Apple

...if you aren't sure what i mean, ...do a web search on "location gate", ...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I have nothing from either of them. Although I do use google search once in a while.
    But again, I do nothing to create alarm. I do nothing to require me to be tracked. I am not concerned.
    Oh shit, someone knows where I am.....while I am sitting here having lunch with my kid. So what?

I will continue to worry about the things I can control....and try not to worry about those I can't.

I get the "civil liberties" aspect. I do.
    Don't want it, don't buy it.

blue
    1999 TransAm

...pizza anyone???

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Looks like GM caved in to negative response to their "benefit".

Tracking Will Be Disabled

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Wife gets in car, starts it up*
    "Hello Mrs. Smith, this is OnStar. We've noticed that on weekdays between 4-5pm your husband goes to the same address for 45 minutes before coming home from work. We've run the address through our database and noticed its a well known "massage" parlor. May we offer you the services of our OnStar divorce lawyers?"

"How did you know I was the one in the car? I don't even have the service anymore"

"Focus on whats important Mrs. Smith. Your husbands cheating on you with a dirty massage tramp. If you'll just respond we can set up a payment plan for the OnStar Divorce lawyer"

"What is this, I don't even"

"Thanks for the confirmation, papers will be delivered to your address and you'll get the bill later. Thank you for using OnStar"

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'm sure that's just been said to get people to shut up. It'll probably still be active to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Looks like GM caved in to negative response to their "benefit".

Tracking Will Be Disabled

Navy Blue Metallic

disconnect the antennae connector for on star

blue
    1999 TransAm

i'm sure they'll just follow the lead of Google and Apple, ..i.e. what our customers don't know about what we are tracking, ...won't hurt them..

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Looks like we are all screwed.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes even if the dealer never activated it they can remotely activate it at anytime.

Black boxes are completely different. They have to be accessed by a shop or dealer with the black box being right there. They cannot remotely access the black box.
    This.... My 08 H3 has OnStar and I simply pressed the "blue botton" and activated it from the car when I purchased it..
    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    If I ever get a chevy* again I'll have to look into how to do a permanent solution for disconnect.
    * - will not buy under current management
    Good luck with that brother.. OnStar is completely intergraded into the vehicle.. They can start your car, shut it off, know that your air bags are deployed, and how many passengers are in the car via sensors in all the seats.. They can even tell if the vehicle has rolled over, or even which tire may have cause the accident.. The hands free OnStar system activates under conditions consistant with an accident.. Your location is immediately transmitted as a distress call and the local police, and EMS are alerted.. A person actually comes on and starts calling you by name in those instances, if you are able to speak you simply call out and they can hear you.. Our H3 also has a seperate botton for police/EMS push it and it calls the cops/EMS closest to you automaticly..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-28-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Yeah but it requires an antennae to send the signal. If it is disconnected it won't work.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I know this all sounds crazy to some of you and it sorta does to me as well..

However,, I have a wife and young child, and look @ the system as a possible life saver..

Different strokes for different folks.. The 08 H3 has a 5-star crash rating and is built like a tank..

If it's hit or in a crash that deploys all the bags as it's equiped with side curtains too it's likely to be a pretty bad accident so OnStar gets my vote..

I can see the want for privacy too, personally I have pleny of older toys that don't even have air bags or "black boxes"..

As long as all my stuff sits on ground I own I don't get to concerned about big brother without a warrant..

But it's nice if I am out on some trail in the middle of nowhere to know help can find me and/or my family if there's trouble..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yeah but it requires an antennae to send the signal. If it is disconnected it won't work.
    Yes however the system is equipt with an internal antenna as well in the event that the outer one is damaged or ripped from the vehicle..

Basicly like a distress becon(sp) so if you can't be raised audibly OnStar will automaticly notify authorites..

That does'nt mean if you rip it off they call the cops, the vehicle will still have to show an accident has accured..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information