Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Is it possible that both a synchro and the clutch are have mild issues that only manifest when both coincide? On their own, they don't cause a problem (yet), but when combined, they result in grinding?
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you're experiencing grinding while trying to shift into a gear, the gear in the transmission likely hasn't been meshed properly....which is probably a synchronizer key. Have you ever tried shifting without using the clutch at the wrong rpm (if trying to mesh the gears yourself)?

If it feels "notchy", it could be a) slider key or the rail or b) the pressure plate not properly disengaging or c) hydraulic related.

The notchy feeling is usually at higher rpm and with more power since the demand on both are higher.

If it gets stuck in a gear....that's likely a broken key (had that happen to me at 12k miles).
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks 35th Ann SS ! It's just a slightly slower clutch meshing feeling with the 3rd gear. It pops in without grinding noise, just "feels" like it's taking more time to synch before engaging all the way. I count 1-2 on most shifts, but with third I sort of slow it down...: : 1-2-gentle push-3----push 4 and engaged."

Best part of these cars is that if I blow my engine I'm going to have it rebuilt with a Lingenfelter package anyway. And it seems there are SO MANY decent shops who can reasonably rebuild a T-56. Good news is I'm a car-guy and motorcyclist so I know how to shift with very little stress on the gearbox if I just pay attention. :-)

I will be buried in this '99 WS6 I luv her so much. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If you're experiencing grinding while trying to shift into a gear, the gear in the transmission likely hasn't been meshed properly....which is probably a synchronizer key. Have you ever tried shifting without using the clutch at the wrong rpm (if trying to mesh the gears yourself)?

If it feels "notchy", it could be a) slider key or the rail or b) the pressure plate not properly disengaging or c) hydraulic related.

The notchy feeling is usually at higher rpm and with more power since the demand on both are higher.

If it gets stuck in a gear....that's likely a broken key (had that happen to me at 12k miles).
    Last edited by BobbyGFirebird; 05-09-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My T56 is built by a very reputable transmission shop and now that I'm at over 650HP I still have the slow 3rd gear engagement at harder pulls....shifting at or above 6k rpm. I think it's a clutch/hydraulic issue though and not a transmission one. The clutch seems to not want to fully disengage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Was it shimmed?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've had the clutch for 8 years, this started about 3 years ago after boosting the car so I don't think it's so much a clutch issue now that I think about it more. I bet the Tick MC would resolve it. Just really don't drive it enough anymore to make it a priority. It was installed by Bob at Brute Speed formerly EPP Performance. He offered to install it free of charge since the transmission was already dropped being built by RPM. I can slam it into 3rd and I never miss a shift, it just doesn't go in quite as easily as 2nd, or 4th at 6500rpm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information