Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I performed a shifter swap the other day using this sitcky. It was tremendously helpful. Thank you, Knight.

I wanted to share some of my experiences for anyone who might run into similar issues. I have a 98 Camaro convertible, in case it matters.

First, to remove my center console, there were two additional 13mm bolts holding it in place located on either side right underneath AC controls. These bolts are the same size as the other three.

I found that the parking brake got in the way a little bit when removing the center console, so I had to tug/force it to clear while removing the center console. Because I could not get my cigarette lighter unplugged without lifting the console, I just left it plugged in (mine is also different than the one in the pics), but I did have to unplug the 12v outlet to be able to move the console freely and clear of the workspace (I just set it in the passenger seat).

On reassembly, I noticed that my dash light was not working (when I turn on my lights, the dash does not light up, and the odometer disappears instead of dimming). I took it all apart again looking for an unplugged wire but found nothing. When I turned on the parking lights, I could hear the switch clicking just behind the nob. When I turned on the headlights, I could hear another switch clicking under the dash near the AC controls, however, without knowing which wires were which, I did not want to mess with it right away.

I still have not figured this one out, so if you're doing a shifter swap, be careful with your wiring.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

shifter stops

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Good write up, but I have a couple of questions.

First, why remove the shifter boot? It has been about 9 years since I changed the shifter out in my first Camaro, but I don't remember removing the boot. Why take the chance on breaking it? Or am I forgetting something

Second, does anyone have instructions for setting the stops? The Camaro I have now someone had already changed the shifter. To me it doesn't feel like it is going all the way in gear. I have noticed that if I have it in gear, have the clutch pedal pushed down, and I am coasting it will pop out of gear. esp in 3rd.
    If I remember correctly, to adjust the stops, you push the shifter forward and hold it, thread the stop bolt till it contacts the shifter, than back it off just a "smidge" Than same with rearward throw. I'm pretty sure that's it.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by cruzincamaro View Post
    If I remember correctly, to adjust the stops, you push the shifter forward and hold it, thread the stop bolt till it contacts the shifter, than back it off just a "smidge" Than same with rearward throw. I'm pretty sure that's it.
    Thanks, now that you say that it does sound familar.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Thanks, that worked great with my 5.0 shifter. Quick install.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Thanks, now that you say that it does sound familar.
    Hey Charles, I think U were the guy that told me about the shift boot for sale. Well, U were right, I just went real easy and it came out with no probs. MGW is in, feels awesome but raining so I dont want to test it in the rain. Probly end up sideways..LOL..Thanks again!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Thanks much to this thread, I recently installed my new MGW short throw shifter in a couple hours (I really took my time, lol). I did the same things as Walt did, but took a few different steps because I used a different product and have a slight problem with OCD and my car.

When I received my new shifter in the mail, MGW included a note stating they've now made their shifter shaft adjustable. Because MGW offers something different from every other manufacturer, I wanted to utilize it. You can cut the shaft of the shifter to your liking with the MGW, something I'm amazed they don't advertise yet, because as far as I know, they're the ONLY one that offers this.

Here's my pics;

Stock vs. MGW

Shifter install

Here's how other's have their's installed with the rubber boot.

Here's where I made a change, that will utilize the uniqueness of the MGW.

I wanted to get the rubber boot around the shifter assembly so I could change the shaft length without the removal of the entire center console. Here's how I fit the boot.

Now, unlike the 5.0 and the Hurst, by simply lifting the shifter leather boot, I have this;

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I contacted MGW and they informed me NOT to remove that bolt that holds the orange piece of metal to the shifter assembly. So if you want the boot around it, you'll need to go about it this way.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Good info! Thanks, Kevin.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

i have a short throw i bought offline a while ago and i'm gonna install it soon so went ahead and bought the brass cup to replace the plastic and of course a new boot ring cause mine is taped and glued together. I noticed that the bottom ball of the shifter doesn't completely sit all the way down in the brass cup. It fits about halfway into the cup, I measured with a caliper and its about 4 thousandths difference. I didn't take it apart yet to look but is that a problem? is it supposed to fit in completely? The cup goes up about halfway through the spherical end of the shifter so i need to know if thats how its suppose to be or if i need to have the cup machined (or a little sanding on the shifter). Thank you
    Last edited by egod; 11-04-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: illustration did not look helpful after posted

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

so i was thinking, if the cup fit all the way up on the shifter than it probably wouldn't be able to pivot properly. And as long as the shifter seats on the tranny properly its probably the way its suppose to be. I am just looking for confirmation so i don't take everything apart, go to put it back together and discover DAMN this doesn't fit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information