Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Can't get crank pulley off? tried using pulley puller

Hey guys,
    I got most of the pulley off, but I seem to can't get the pulley off. I used 2 different pullers and even the big 8 inch won't get it to budge the rest of the way.. any suggestions? the pulley pullers I have are the cheap ones from harbor freight. Another brand and store that has one that will work better? Thanks

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

I broke a cheap one I had laying around when I tried to get mine off. I then used a huge puller that was used on trucks on the outside of the pulley and it came off without any issues. Unfortunately, it's quite old and doesn't seem to have any name on it. I've borrowed tools from Autozone and Advanced Auto in the past so you might check with them.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

I bent the center screw of a small made in the USA three jaw puller trying to remove the pulley on my LS1. I bought a larger Chinese made three jaw pulley and it worked good enough to complete the job. I backed the crank bolt out about a half inch and used it as the pivot for the puller. I had to make adjustments until the balancer was finally removed. I did the same procedure for my LS6 balancer after I had more practice.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Ok thanks. I haven't tried using it on the outside of the pully. I just broke a 2 ton pully rented from O'Reily. THe crank bolt only threads 1.5 turns so I know it is almost off. I tried to use a rubber hammer, but doesn't seem to work. I even sprayed PB blaster over night. Any other suggestions, I am running out of options.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Just used a 7 ton puller on the outside of the pulley with the bolt on with 3/4 of a turn and it is still not budging. I even tried threading it in a little bit to see if I could get some PB blaster in there... still lost as to what to do

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Ok figure out the problem. The problem is the stock bolt head hits the pulley. Solution... use a longer bolt that will allow the puller to completely pull the pulley off. Not sure why LS1Howto instructs to use stock bolt. It is impossible.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

The replacement ARP bolt works great. You have to replace it anyway since the stock one is torque to yield. The ARP one is stout, reusable and less likely to strip your crank threads since it is longer. $25 well spent

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    The replacement ARP bolt works great. You have to replace it anyway since the stock one is torque to yield. The ARP one is stout, reusable and less likely to strip your crank threads since it is longer. $25 well spent
    But it is 25 bucks for just a bolt you could buy 5 oem ones for that price and not even have to wait for it because you can get it at the dealer. Also op do not use any bolt to draw the pulley onto the crank you risk damaging the threads. Either get the instgall tool thats sold for like 20 bucks that usdes a stud and nut to draw it on. The other way is what i usually do, take a torch and heat up only the rear of the pulley hub that slides onto the crank heat it for about 5 minutes. Then grab it with a rag and it will literally just fall onto the crank. This saves you the cost of an install tool, risk of damaging the threads, and you dont have to torque the old bolt down to 250ft lbs since you will be able to hear the new pulley bottom out on the crank. I've done this a few times and it works well

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Autozone rents an OEM pulley INSTALLER as well. With the proper tools it will go on very easily...no need to heat anything up, and when you bring back the tool it doesn't cost you anything.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...27144/image/4/

Kit # 27144
    Last edited by BrntWS6; 06-22-2011 at 10:41 AM.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

^^nevermind...a couple people have said that kit doesn't work on our cars.

Thread Information