Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by formulajman View Post
    if i knew i would perform better with a stall maybe i wouldnt have asked that question. i appreciate your two cents
    It will perform better with a stall. You come in here asking for advise and then get mad because you didn't like the advice you got? Sorry dude but that makes absolutely no sense.

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

so would anyone argue with this setup? or have any suggestions?
    224/230 .581/.588 cam
    2400-2600 rpm stall
    flex plate
    and gears?

or should i just get all the necessities to swap my engine&tranny out with the new LS9? lol

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

and the advice i got is that it would perform better with a stallwas appreciated. i was referring to your sarcastically rhetorical question.

Black/ Silver

224/230 .581/.588 cam
    2400-2600 rpm stall
    flex plate
    and gears?

or should i just get all the necessities to swap my engine&tranny out with the new LS9? lol
    You'll probably want some higher lift valve springs and possibly hardened pushrods in addition to that. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 3200 stall but that's just me.

hugger orange

224/230 .581/.588 cam
    2400-2600 rpm stall
    flex plate
    and gears?

1st cam/stall combo I got was a 220/224 and a 2,800 stall....at the track you could hear the sound of the exhaust hit its "sweet spot" in the rpm range and pull a lot harder higher in the rpms...swapped out the 2,800 stall for a 3,800 and it made a world of a difference.

I daily drive mine with a 4,000 rpm stall now and love it

224/230 .581/.588 cam
    2400-2600 rpm stall
    flex plate
    and gears?

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    You'll probably want some higher lift valve springs and possibly hardened pushrods in addition to that. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 3200 stall but that's just me.
    Yep, springs are a must and pushrods as well. I also agree I'd probably go a tad bigger on the stall. Even a stock cam LS1 loves a 3500 or so. I ran a 3400 in mine and never did the camshaft. Loved it.
    The cam you have listed there is a popular grind. Decent all around performing camshaft.

Gears are more of a personal preference thing. I don't care to stick money in the 10 bolts personally. For an auto car,,,,if you already have 3.23's I'd just leave them be.
    If you have 2.73's, I would just prefer to stick a 6 speed rear in the car with 3.42's and call it done.

224/230 .581/.588 cam
    2400-2600 rpm stall
    flex plate
    and gears?

LOL. I'm not sure what the powerband is on that cam but the stall sounds a little low to me. Ideally you want your stall to hit around the same time your powerband does for the best performance. I'm guessing something in the 3200-3600 range would be better.

As far as gears it depends on your overall goals, what you have now and whether or not you can do the swap yourself. I'm not a fan of putting much money into these 10 bolts it can be like flushing it down the toilet. If you can handle the swap yourself great if not and you plan on keeping your car a while save for a 12 bolt or 9in.

Black/ Silver

Another thing you might consider is getting a ls2 timing chain and lingenfelter oil pump or a ported ls6 oil pump. Not required but in my opinion I would do it while your down there anyways.

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

granted in my original post that started this thread i never said "im going to install a cam without a stall" i just simply asked how big some ppl have gone before they have put one.

now i know that i'll only be able to put a "wenie" of a cam without a stall so with my previous intuitions and replies from this thread i have come to find out i would perform better with a bigger cam and stall with all the fixins vs a smaller cam that didnt require a stall. im NOT power hungry. (just throwing that out there)

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

the higher lift springs and harder pushrods are included in the package that lethal performance is putting together for me. along with the timing chain and etc.
    idk why but the previous owner of the car had already installed the 1.8 ratio rocker arms so im good there. but idk why just the rocker arms though.

NBM Z28

224/230 .581/.588 cam
    2400-2600 rpm stall
    flex plate
    and gears?

Go with a bigger stall!! I have a vig 3200 that i been running for almost 3-4 years and i will honestly say that i wish i could have gone bigger and looking to up my stall to a 4000. Only thing is that i doubt i will be able to hook..LOL

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

so what are the benefits of running with a stall for a few months then getting my cam package out in? i will honestly say that i am running rich due to the heads and exhaust my intake didnt balance it out enough and i dont want to go long enough to damage my injectors and plugs etc. so along with the stall it will be tuned.

hugger orange

You will be a lot quicker off the line with your stock can and higher stall

Black/ Silver

so what are the benefits of running with a stall for a few months then getting my cam package out in? i will honestly say that i am running rich due to the heads and exhaust my intake didnt balance it out enough and i dont want to go long enough to damage my injectors and plugs etc. so along with the stall it will be tuned.
    What do you mean what are the benefits of running a stall first, I would think that would be apparent by what we have explained to you. You do know what a stall does and why you should install it with or before a cam right?

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

yes Mr. trans am WS6 i know what a stall does. i guess i should be extremely specific when i ask something in these forums. and maybe i should repost the questions every now and then because people read them and post a reply to what they think they read and not what was literally asked/posted.

i come here for other opinions from ppl who actually drive the cars after they are worked on. performance shops just tell me what its potential is and how it might act. and in forums like these you guys have worked and re-worked f-bodys and have gone through learning curves and what not.
    so again i come here for the experience side of things rather than what the shops say so cuz i dont have the resources to do the work myself. plus i work about 80hrs a week.

i wouldn have known what my car would have acted like if i had a cam and no stall. even though i asked if anyone had ever done it. and i wouldnt have known that i would be quicker off the line with just the stall.

now does a stall break in like a cam does? you know what i mean by that right? and is there certain ones a should stay away from? performance wise? life duration wise?

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep, springs are a must and pushrods as well. I also agree I'd probably go a tad bigger on the stall. Even a stock cam LS1 loves a 3500 or so. I ran a 3400 in mine and never did the camshaft. Loved it.
    The cam you have listed there is a popular grind. Decent all around performing camshaft.

Gears are more of a personal preference thing. I don't care to stick money in the 10 bolts personally. For an auto car,,,,if you already have 3.23's I'd just leave them be.
    If you have 2.73's, I would just prefer to stick a 6 speed rear in the car with 3.42's and call it done.
    in that 3400 you had...what goods/bads (if any) would you note on it?

in that 3400 you had...what goods/bads (if any) would you note on it?
    Nothing bad, it was about perfect for mine, which was just headers with an off road Y, and that 3400 stall. Stock 3.23's and it drove around pretty nice. Still 20 mpg around town if I drove it easy. 25-26 mpg highway which is what it got before the stall anyway.
    My ET went from a best of 13.24 at 106 mph to a best of 12.76 at 107 mph with just the converter change, no sticky tires. Honestly had 12.50's in it easy with a good tire on it. Best bang for the buck mod I ever did to the car.
    I had planned a cam, just never did it. Car ran great as is, I was pretty happy with it.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well I got a 230/230 .598/.612 111+2 cam w/SS4000 from Yank and even with that stall it pushes plenty on the brakes.

Can't imagine having an aftermarket cam without a larger stall speed.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

224/230 .581/.588 cam
    2400-2600 rpm stall
    flex plate
    and gears?
    I run a simular set up with my cam. It's a 226/236 .525 and a TCI 3500 stall. Very happy with the combo and currently daily driving it on a street tune. It still wants to push through the brakes a little but nothing bad. You should consider getting at least a 3000rpm stall, anything smaller might be a waste. What gears are you considering?

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    I run a simular set up with my cam. It's a 226/236 .525 and a TCI 3500 stall. Very happy with the combo and currently daily driving it on a street tune. It still wants to push through the brakes a little but nothing bad. You should consider getting at least a 3000rpm stall, anything smaller might be a waste. What gears are you considering?

at the time i was considering the 4.11 but after a good friend of mine installed them i wasnt pleased with the mileage. but maybe he is a little hard on the pedal.
    now i am considering a 3600-4000 stall and not changing the gears.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information