Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1516171819

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Go ahead and knock the screen out of your stock MAF when it's out, just DON'T PORT IT. De-screening will be worth a solid 5-8rwhp in front of that engine. If you get a mail order tune, make sure to note that in the list of mods.
    Last edited by Frost; 01-28-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Impounded
    I thought this was a big no no?

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    I thought this was a big no no?
    The whole myth of not descreening is just that,,,a myth. All your new ones come that way now and have been for years.
    Descreening was one of the first free mods done when these cars were new.

To help get it into perspective, one tuner I used to talk to/deal with back in Ohio used to tell me this...

Take the screen out,,,then wad it up into a tight little ball. Set it back into the MAF and you get a good idea of the actual surface area those screens take up in simplist terms. That's blocked air.
    You just have to recalibrate the MAF tables for the increase in airflow.

And as Frost reports, Just as this other tuner I mentioned, you pick up a tad bit of HP. Every little bit counts.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The screen is also there to keep large debris from going into the motor...

I've had leaves stuck to mine before. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The screen is also there to keep large debris from going into the motor...

I've had leaves stuck to mine before. Just saying.
    Then sir I'd politely say you have an air filter issue.

To be quite frank,,nothing should be able to get past your air filter,,not even dust. To have a leaf in there,,,is,,,,well,,,,cause for concern that something else is wrong. It's not what the screen in the MAF is designed for. Like I said,,,all your new ones don't even have a screen.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, I know. But, a clamp had came loose and it got sucked in through the piping after the air filter. This was on my old Camaro. Since that happened I regularly make sure things are secure in all my cars prior to taking them out.

I'm sure a lot of dust/dirt got sucked in also as a result if a leaf was there haha.

Ya those stinking worm clamps are good for that. They tend to loosen over time.

To take that a step further, there are a ton of 4th gens out there running SD tunes. As a matter of fact, I'm converting one of mine over to SD. No more MAF at all.
    It was brought to my attention, and I didn't even think about it till that point,,,,that most of the other manufactures don't even use MAF's. GM seems to be the only one on this MAF kick.

Some tuners will tell you once you start modding, especially heads and cam,,,they have no use for the MAF's and would rather go SD at that point. Not sure how Frost feels on that issue.
    And they are generally not used in a forced induction application either.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-29-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Impounded
    Hmm...

i dont like SD tune, i have it done on my car...dont ask why, i dont want to turn this into a tune thread, im just stating my .02 thats all

Impounded
    Well this thread was hijacked long ago---srry op
    But if i descreen my MAF...what can be done if a leave or other crap is sucked thru?
    What if i descreen it and want to change it back to a stock MAF with a screen?

But if i descreen my MAF...what can be done if a leave or other crap is sucked thru?
    They used to sell ported ends that simply bolted onto your existing MAF, and they came screenless. You could simply bolt your screened ends back on.
    I don't even know if they are sold anymore though.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a SLP MAF for sale

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    They used to sell ported ends that simply bolted onto your existing MAF, and they came screenless. You could simply bolt your screened ends back on.
    I don't even know if they are sold anymore though.
    NO! definitely not! This is the same thing as porting the MAF and they cause the same grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    i dont like SD tune, i have it done on my car...dont ask why, i dont want to turn this into a tune thread, im just stating my .02 thats all
    A good SD tune works just as well as a MAF tune and on the GenIII hardware, also you get that 'snappiness' with the throttle that is missing with the MAF in place. At WOT there is no difference unless your MAF was stock (screened) or is smaller than the rest of the intake piping. If there is something you don't like about the way your car runs, it's not the fault of it being SD, it's something in the cal that needs to be fixed.

The screen is NOT there to catch garbage; that's what the filter is for. Leaves can't go through filters. Most late model GM vehicles do not have MAF screens... and why would you want to put a screen back on later?
    Last edited by Frost; 01-30-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Impounded
    just checking. that was one of the first things i heard on here
    "do not descreen you MAF and do not replace your bellows"

but if you say its fine. then hell im up for it!

Hey Jones. i looked at SDPC. i cant find the LS7/Ram Flywheel Clutch kit. is it just not listed and do i need to call?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    A good SD tune works just as well as a MAF tune and on the GenIII hardware, also you get that 'snappiness' with the throttle that is missing with the MAF in place. At WOT there is no difference unless your MAF was stock (screened) or is smaller than the rest of the intake piping. If there is something you don't like about the way your car runs, it's not the fault of it being SD, it's something in the cal that needs to be fixed.
    i agree...i just hate all the little bullshit that has to be worked out AND it cost more (around here it does)

i see people all the time getting a MAF tune...BAM there done, no problems and there on there way

i have alot of idle and WOT (from a dig) problems with my SD-tune

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

i agree...i just hate all the little bullshit that has to be worked out AND it cost more (around here it does)

i see people all the time getting a MAF tune...BAM there done, no problems and there on there way

That doesn't make a ton of sense though, unless your tuner is short-cutting people... Even for a "MAF tune", the VE has to be tuned and THEN the MAF... Since SD is just the VE, it should take LESS time, unless the tuner is not doing the VE work. There isn't any little BS to work out. Other than referencing the VE instead of the MAF table for airflow estimation, the rest is the same between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    NO! definitely not! This is the same thing as porting the MAF and they cause the same grief.
    Ya I don't care for the ported ends either,,,I was just pointing it out as the only way I know of to go back and forth with screens or without screens other than buying a complete MAF to swap.
    For some reason he mentioned wanting to go back to screens.

Like Frost said, that sounds like a tuning issue. All SD is,,,is simply running off the VE tables. And you have to tune the VE before you even touch the MAF.
    I just switched my wifes 4th gen over to SD, and was tuning on it this weekend. I've got a rock steady WOT AFR now, along with a better idle that is more solid and not searching, and an engine that seems to respond better overall. And I'm not what I call completely done with it either and I'm already much happier with it.
    Not to mention it gets rid of another electronic device on the car

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1516171819

Thread Information