Thread: killed a c5

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

killed a c5

coming home from arlington,i see a c5 on jacksboro hwy.i quickly catch up to him and get beside him.seems to be a youngster with the hood over his head.anyway he sees me and we get beside each other.i waited for him to punch it,then i hit it.he got a nose on me but i reeled him in very quickly.i was a nose ahead when we approached traffic and had to shut it down.we must have started at about 35 and ended at about 70 or so.very brief but extremely fun.he gave me a thumbs up as he went by,so he was cool.if he were a mustang owner he would have probably been upset.

2000 ws6 h/c full bolt ons.2.73 gears DRs lcs's A4 and a piece of crap slippin tranny that nobody can seem to fix.($875 in the hole)

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

nice kill! hopefully you can get that tranny fixed

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    nice kill! hopefully you can get that tranny fixed
    thanks.i have about 250 miles on this new rebuild.these local tranny guys just dont know how to make a 4l60e last.i got this one guy in denton that im gonna give a try.they're running some heavy hosepower ls1's and supposedly their trannys are holding up to the hp.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I got my stall from Circle D in Houston and have heard they build some great
    4l60's. When after mine goes out I plan to give them a shot since they build some great stalls for GM cars and have a good rep.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Nice kill.

BTW, it is not a WS6 if you have OE 2.73 gears. Those cars came with 3.23 OE. Look on your door jamb for a WS6 code to verify your car was a factory WS6. No big deal really, since people change a lot of the WS6 stuff anyway, except for the expensive OE hood.

All manual trans cars came with 3.42 gears, WS6 or not.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Nice kill.

BTW, it is not a WS6 if you have OE 2.73 gears. Those cars came with 3.23 OE. Look on your door jamb for a WS6 code to verify your car was a factory WS6. No big deal really, since people change a lot of the WS6 stuff anyway, except for the expensive OE hood.

All manual trans cars came with 3.42 gears, WS6 or not.
    these gears arent stock.ws6 rpo is on the door jam.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Something must've happened to the OE diff then, eh? And someone went with a cheap fix, instead of a high $$$ rear. Is your speedo/odo reading correct.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Something must've happened to the OE diff then, eh? And someone went with a cheap fix, instead of a high $$$ rear. Is your speedo/odo reading correct.
    i believe the previous owner put these gears in for hwy cruising.and no i believe my speedo reads a bit too slow.when it reads 65,im just cruising past all the traffic.so im probably at 70 or so.seems to be ok at slower speeds,but yeah,the previous owner changed the gears to cruise back and forth from houston to oklahoma.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    thanks.i have about 250 miles on this new rebuild.these local tranny guys just dont know how to make a 4l60e last.i got this one guy in denton that im gonna give a try.they're running some heavy hosepower ls1's and supposedly their trannys are holding up to the hp.
    welll hopefully it will. Where at in denton.. im just 30 or so miles from there

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

i believe the previous owner put these gears in for hwy cruising.and no i believe my speedo reads a bit too slow.when it reads 65,im just cruising past all the traffic.so im probably at 70 or so.seems to be ok at slower speeds,but yeah,the previous owner changed the gears to cruise back and forth from houston to oklahoma.
    That makes sense, since a 2.73 is roughly 84% the gear a 3.23 is. Speedo would be pretty close at low speeds, then be off a lot more as the speed climbs.

And the odo is always reading slow, so no gas MPG calculations until you take this into account! But we didn't get these cars for MPG, that's just a bonus.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    welll hopefully it will. Where at in denton.. im just 30 or so miles from there
    its on main street.place called transmission pros.the guys name is dave.they are making some big hosepower and claim to be able to build the 4l60e's to hold up to the hp.let me know i will try to find a number.owner has a ws6 with full bolt ons,so i feel like hes probably familier with the 4l60e problems we all have.but i havent got a chance to makeit out there yet.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

damn well good luck man

Ray Charles blue

Was the C5 an automatic? If so he may have only been sporting the 2.73 gears as well. What I dont understand is they get the "option" for the 3.15 gears.

I think people miss why an A4 WS6 with 3.23 gears and stay with a 2.73 geared Corvette.

Bolt-on T/A's are a tough match for a stock Corvette. And I agree, most Mustang drivers wouldnt even look twice at you after they got beat unless it was to give you a dirty look or flip you off......haha I tried all fall to get near this 99-04 GT at college. He thinks its so fast and I wanted to just mop his doors....lol

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^And mop him you would!

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Was the C5 an automatic? If so he may have only been sporting the 2.73 gears as well. What I dont understand is they get the "option" for the 3.15 gears.

I think people miss why an A4 WS6 with 3.23 gears and stay with a 2.73 geared Corvette.

Bolt-on T/A's are a tough match for a stock Corvette. And I agree, most Mustang drivers wouldnt even look twice at you after they got beat unless it was to give you a dirty look or flip you off......haha I tried all fall to get near this 99-04 GT at college. He thinks its so fast and I wanted to just mop his doors....lol
    im not sure if the c5 was an auto.it was a stranger on the street so i dont know his car.i personally dont care for the 2.73s they're nice on the hwy but i think i would go withsomething shorter like a 3.73. jason at texas drivetrain performance does the complete swap with new bearings and seal kit for $500 i think.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

That makes sense, since a 2.73 is roughly 84% the gear a 3.23 is. Speedo would be pretty close at low speeds, then be off a lot more as the speed climbs.

And the odo is always reading slow, so no gas MPG calculations until you take this into account! But we didn't get these cars for MPG, that's just a bonus.
    Pewter Z has 2.73s

White Z has 3.23s

My pewter one tachs about 300RPM lower locked up in OD at 75mph than my white one. With a 60/40 mix of highway/city driving, on bad O2s, I'm averaging 25.5mpg on 2.73s. BUT, that's with the 2nd gear start, and driving competently enough to be able to let the trans shift at 1500-1600RPMs. My white car won't start in 2nd gear, as it is a '99 and it didn't start until 2000.

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

white
    2000 Z28

im not sure if the c5 was an auto.it was a stranger on the street so i dont know his car.i personally dont care for the 2.73s they're nice on the hwy but i think i would go withsomething shorter like a 3.73. jason at texas drivetrain performance does the complete swap with new bearings and seal kit for $500 i think.
    you may want to look into a new rear end after the tranny is taken care of, instead of just constantly swapping gears. imo bite the bullet and get the tranny done by someone that is proven. instead of going with guys who have no experience with the 4l60e. fortunately the guy that i have lined up for my rebuild has done many tranny's that ive seen run strong and reliable for the past 4 years. 99 z28 sts, 99 t/a stroked and sprayed, 01 z28 bolt on sprayed, 95 formy h/c, and 04 gto sprayed. the 2 99s running as strong now as they did 3.5 years ago when they were built is a big plus to me.

Thread Information