Thread: Me vs. M3

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Me vs. M3

I don't get a lot of clean runs so I don't post in here often. Example honking it off or waiting for the green light-most people just go and I play catch up. Today I passed an m3(01-06) on the freeway and he was yelling something out the car I couldn't understand. I finally heard "follow me". We get off the freeway onto a clear road and we go from a dig. I honked it off and it was a smooth pull until I had 2 or 3 cars on him by 80mph(end of second gear). He says," you got me" so I offer him his choice for the next run. We go from a 20mph roll with him honking it off. I spun a bit but got him as soon as it started. Ended about the same as the first round with me having 2-3 cars at the beginning of third. I think he could have hit the throttle a bit harder from the start because he didn't stay with me at all. He mentioned after the ordeal, "you beat me in my other car too". It turns out what he was yelling on the freeway that he has a bmw 335i that I raced him in a while back. Hopefully he'll bring that car back because I want to make it official

After reading this post perhaps I don't post in here to much because my grammar sucks. My car is modded with bolt-ons and an a4.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I don't get a lot of clean runs so I don't post in here often. Example honking it off or waiting for the green light-most people just go and I play catch up. Today I passed an m3(01-06) on the freeway and he was yelling something out the car I couldn't understand. I finally heard "follow me". We get off the freeway onto a clear road and we go from a dig. I honked it off and it was a smooth pull until I had 2 or 3 cars on him by 80mph(end of second gear). He says," you got me" so I offer him his choice for the next run. We go from a 20mph roll with him honking it off. I spun a bit but got him as soon as it started. Ended about the same as the first round with me having 2-3 cars at the beginning of third. I think he could have hit the throttle a bit harder from the start because he didn't stay with me at all. He mentioned after the ordeal, "you beat me in my other car too". It turns out what he was yelling on the freeway that he has a bmw 335i that I raced him in a while back. Hopefully he'll bring that car back because I want to make it official

After reading this post perhaps I don't post in here to much because my grammar sucks. My car is modded with bolt-ons and an a4.
    ha thats awesome that the guy recognized u and the car. always fun to race someone who is a graceful loser. your grammar isnt bad at all. probably one of the easiest posts i've read and could actually picture what happened haha
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Nice kill.

I wonder if anyone has gone against the newer M3s, with its 400 HP V8.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Nice kill.

People have, from a roll it usually isnt in the f-bodys favor unless they have cam or more.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Nice kill.

not a M3 but a M5 that kept right with me... could gain on him...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    not a M3 but a M5 that kept right with me... could gain on him...
    Nice. Is that the M5 with the 500 HP V10?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Nice. Is that the M5 with the 500 HP V10?
    i dunno much about them... it was a new M5... nice blue color too!!!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Good kill OP, as to the comments above the new M3 is gonna be tough to beat. I think the only way to pull on one is to get a better cam with the full bolt ons. Although ive seen a full bolt on C5 keep up with a intake, exhaust E92 M3 but who knows in street racing.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I don't doubt the new m3 would have edged me out. I think if he was in it earlier it should have been a lot closer. And you're right it's the street i've beaten an 03-04 cobra

Black
    BMW E39 540I 6 spd 4.4 V8

The new M3s are pretty quick.

I ran my buddy's E39 M5 at Zmax last week, which is a relatively slow track for cars making less than 500HP because the back 1/8th is literally coated with VHT. A lot of resistance for our BMWs that have a wide tire up front, heavy curb weight and not much power. His M5 is ~400HP weighing in around 4000lbs. I only got to make 3 passes and best of the 3 was a 13.30@107.8, almost 108mph.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post

I ran my buddy's E39 M5 at Zmax last week, which is a relatively slow track for cars making less than 500HP because the back 1/8th is literally coated with VHT. A lot of resistance for our BMWs that have a wide tire up front, heavy curb weight and not much power. His M5 is ~400HP weighing in around 4000lbs. I only got to make 3 passes and best of the 3 was a 13.30@107.8, almost 108mph.
    A spill? I wish my track had more of it.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    A spill? I wish my track had more of it.
    LOL no.
    Zmax dragway in Concord, NC is still pretty brand new, so there isn't a whole lot of rubber laid down yet, so they have opted to spray the back 1/8th with VHT. No bullshit, the back 1/8th is more sticky than the first 1/8th.
    Unless you have the power to overcome the tackiness, it'll actually hurt your MPH at Zmax. I lost 5mph going from Rockingham dragway in NC to Zmax. Thats quite a lot.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Still, almost 108 is good for a mostly stock car. So you're saying on other tracks the same car is good for 112 MPH?

Black

Still, almost 108 is good for a mostly stock car. So you're saying on other tracks the same car is good for 112 MPH?
    At Rockingham I'm certain I could have trapped 110+, all day long

I'll upload the in car video I have from the 108mph run tonight when I get home from work

Silver
    2004 CSL M3

Yes, the e92 M is plenty fast. I raced one in my o4 CSL M, it was close until
    he went to 4th and took off like a bat out of hell. I've seen one trap at @ 11.8 at 118 mph with bolt ons.

Black

Man I had forgotten about this thread until you replied to it.

As promised, here is the video of me driving my buddy's M5 at Zmax. As you can see in the video, I am really only driving his M5 8/10th's. At 10/10s, his clutch was slipping so bad I could only muster a 102mph trap, LOL.
    But waiting an eternity for his PP to grip, it would trap 107+.
    Given that I lost ~5mph going from Rockingham to Zmax, I would have to deduce I would have trapped ~111-112 at Rockingham on this run. If you look at the back 1/8th ET and MPH, avid drag racers may notice it is not congruent with what these cars normally run on the back 1/8th.

VIDEO:
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/2000...ay_2062819.htm

Feedback is always welcome. Even if you think it sucked on a biblical scale, lol!

Thread Information