black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

right rear clunking over bumps.bearings?

hello.i have a 98 ta.i have reaplced the springs with some lowering ones.after i replaced springs,i noticed that my right rear quaterpanel gets an annoying rattle going over bumps.pretty consistant.i made sure it wasnt my springs,its not s loose shock mount,its not the speaker,or the amp or the alarm sensor.i raised my car on a lift and was able to get quite a bit of play in the rigjht rear wheel.just like a bad wheel bearing.but i do not hear a growl.maybe its cause my exhaust is too loud.lol.could a bad bearing cause this type of clunking without the typical wheel bearing growl?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you checked your exhaust to see if the rear end is contacting the muffler/pipe? You should have a growl with a bad wheel bearing. Have you checked the brakes on the right rear as well? Also, have you checked to see if your spare/jack are tight?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

also that exhaust comes extremely close to the panhard bar on that side. There are also a plethora of exhaust shields in that area. Might check all that stuff over. Does it sound like a rattle or is it a more solid sound?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I just noticed a similar thing with mine right after I got the Koni/Strano's on. When I hit a larger bump it feels like the ass-end is bottoming out. I already have the UMI relocation kit for the PHB so I know it isn't that...

Subscribed to see what others say about your situation as it might pin-point something with mine.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I just noticed a similar thing with mine right after I got the Koni/Strano's on. When I hit a larger bump it feels like the ass-end is bottoming out. I already have the UMI relocation kit for the PHB so I know it isn't that...

Subscribed to see what others say about your situation as it might pin-point something with mine.
    has your LCA's been swapped? A solid thump like that can be from the LCA's not being torqued down enough. They get 80-90 ft/lbs or something like that.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    has your LCA's been swapped? A solid thump like that can be from the LCA's not being torqued down enough. They get 80-90 ft/lbs or something like that.
    Same LCA's I had before the install. They are non-adjustable BMR. I'll check that out though. Thanks.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Unhappy

its definatley a rattle. its not a solid thump.i have bmr panhard and bmr lca,s.bought the car without the spare tire and jack.i didnt think about the brakes.as much play as there is when i shake the wheel,one would think the lugnuts wernt torqued!what im saying is..i think my wheel bearing should be growling pretty good considering the amount of play i have in the wheel. which tells me to put a torque wrench on the lugs when i get home.i will definatley pull my wheel back off and go through everything with a fine tooth comb.i didnt think about the panard bar or the heat shileds.or my muffler hitting the axle.the latter sounds very accurate.i will keep yall posted .thanks for the advice.i have no doubt we will get to the bottom of this.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I agree 100%, it is 60 lbs. torque to nuts.

SteveC

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

ok.after a long hard week,i was able to get my car on some jack stands to see what the deal was.i took my wheel off and brake rotor.the axle hub DOES NOT HAVE UP AND DOWN PLAY,BUT IN AND OUT PLAY.what the heck could that be?i try to shimmy it up and down but there is no slack or play.but it will pull in and out about a quarter inch or so.enough to not be normal i believe.could it be shims or something? when the wheel is on,it appears to be worse.i think that is where my clunking is coming from.i dont think its the wheel bearing cause likei said earlier its not growling.please chime in.thanks

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sounds like the rear is shimmed too far to the left. You might need to add shims to the right and remove some from the left to center the differential. If and when you DO shim the rear, examine the fluid for any metal flakes. Hopefully you haven't damaged the ring/pinion. There is a writeup in this month's issue of GMHTP about a diff swap and shimming it.

And since you lowered the car, have you examined the panhard bar's bushings for wear?

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Sounds like the rear is shimmed too far to the left. You might need to add shims to the right and remove some from the left to center the differential. If and when you DO shim the rear, examine the fluid for any metal flakes. Hopefully you haven't damaged the ring/pinion. There is a writeup in this month's issue of GMHTP about a diff swap and shimming it.

And since you lowered the car, have you examined the panhard bar's bushings for wear?
    no i havnt.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    but it will pull in and out about a quarter inch or so.enough to not be normal i believe.
    Its normal for the axle to move in and out. don't worry too much. If it is really really excessive then you may need to replace that auburn posi.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Sounds like the rear is shimmed too far to the left. You might need to add shims to the right and remove some from the left to center the differential. If and when you DO shim the rear, examine the fluid for any metal flakes. Hopefully you haven't damaged the ring/pinion.
    DEFINITELY don't wanna do that. That'll really really screw everything up in there. bad advise

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

thats what i was thinking.this clunking is driving me nuts.now im not sure if its the axle making the clunking noise or not.it sounds like its right behind the speaker panel on the right rear seat.gonna take the trim panel off today and have someone ride in the rear seat.well,that explains why im not getting a wheel bearing growl.cause its not the bearing.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    DEFINITELY don't wanna do that. That'll really really screw everything up in there. bad advise
    Sorry. That article came to mind when I read the symptoms. Won't happen again.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you said that it sound like a rattle... check the that the heat shield is not touching the bottom of the fuel tank and/or the top of the muffler. When i bought the car I had a rattle and it was the muffler hitting the panhard bar. The panhard bar had been notch by the muffler pretty bad so it was an indication that its been going on for a while. I just had to loosen up the exhaust parts and reposition/adjust everything.

Thread Information