Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

Thinking of Repainting

Long story short... Rainy day, slicks on, spun out hit a big arse bush and chipped alot of paint off the front bumper. Im not too fond of the white with blue stripes with ghost flame in them anyway. I am thinking about repainting the whole car. I have a few places where I can tell there is some bondo, but just barely. Wondering how much it would run me to get the flaws fixed in the body and paint it. Also what are some colors you guys have seen that looked good? I like white and black but I wanna maybe try something different. Suggestions? Oh and with the repaint I want a painted manta stripe. Help me out!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Killer View Post
    Long story short... Rainy day, slicks on, spun out hit a big arse bush and chipped alot of paint off the front bumper. Im not too fond of the white with blue stripes with ghost flame in them anyway. I am thinking about repainting the whole car. I have a few places where I can tell there is some bondo, but just barely. Wondering how much it would run me to get the flaws fixed in the body and paint it. Also what are some colors you guys have seen that looked good? I like white and black but I wanna maybe try something different. Suggestions? Oh and with the repaint I want a painted manta stripe. Help me out!
    well i can say this painting the whole car at a dealership is no cheap thing. you're looking at probably 4-5 grand including the extra detail work.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

My friend recently two toned his turbo cobalt and it cost him 35XX to get the job done

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

we have a collision shop and it depends on how much body work is required and if your changing color--no body work to speak of and no color change on the main color and your at about $3000--everything from there goes up at $65.00 a hour + additional materials so a additional 10 hrs work might run $750.00 with materials--

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i dont know how it would look on a camaro but i really like that new blue color on the vettes/chargers/cover TA on our site.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I know I charge $2k to do a repaint in the same color except red is extra since the paint costs more. Usuall a color change is $2500 with the jamb work. Custom stuff like Manta stipes are also extra. Some shops charge more but to get a good job your looking at least that much. I am cheaper than most of the local shops by $500 to $1000 usually.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I like the basic colors of black and red. But for non standard colors to stand out in the crowd, there's a guy in here that recently painted his candy copper or something that I really liked. It's similar to but different from SOM. I thought it looked pretty sweet. I'll find his thread in case you haven't already seen it...

-----

here it is, from member badazzta00:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/member.php?u=14795
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120789
    Last edited by Schmalgar; 06-20-2010 at 11:56 PM.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    i dont know how it would look on a camaro but i really like that new blue color on the vettes/chargers/cover TA on our site.
    oh yeah I +1 that as well...

White
    99 Z-28

Yeah I love the color of that TA on the home screen. I was thinkin that color too but what color would I paint the manta? Also my car has been repainted once already it has pearl in the white. How much more is pearl white than normal? I think I will keep it white with a black mata. How much would it cost to fix the gaps in my hood? Aftermarket one just doesnt fit that great.

White
    99 Z-28

[QUOTE=Schmalgar;2365325]I like the basic colors of black and red. But for non standard colors to stand out in the crowd, there's a guy in here that recently painted his candy copper or something that I really liked. It's similar to but different from SOM. I thought it looked pretty sweet. I'll find his thread in case you haven't already seen it...

-----

Love that color... IF he doesnt mind how much did that run him painting it that color? Also what brand and colors is that?

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I just re-read his thread. I didn't see any mention of brand or cost. You'd have to ping him for more details. He does say a friend painted it, and it looks like it's done in someone's personal garage, so I am guessing he didn't have to pay full shop rates.

He does mention the colors, he says it has a Metallic Copper base coat and Kandy Copper plus Maple Pearl main coat.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I know I charge $2k to do a repaint in the same color except red is extra since the paint costs more. Usuall a color change is $2500 with the jamb work. Custom stuff like Manta stipes are also extra. Some shops charge more but to get a good job your looking at least that much. I am cheaper than most of the local shops by $500 to $1000 usually.
    The problem with a color change on these cars is you just can't really get away with painting the jambs.
    To do it right, since these cars were body color everywhere,,,,you really need to yank the drivetrain and paint it all. Just the engine compartment isn't even enough.

Otherwise opening the hood or even peaking under the car will reveal it since the underside is also body color. In my opinion nothing looks worse than a color change that wasn't completely done. It's a major undertaking to do it right.

White
    99 Z-28

I think I will just respray it in white with some pearl thrown in there. How much more is pearl than normal paint?

I was going to suggest that, keeping it white but change the shade a tad or pearl would look super.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Depnds on where you go but pearl will bump the pasint cost since you have to use 2 base and 2 pearlcoats. Pearl isn't cheap especially PPG's Global BC. It also takes more time and work to do a clean job. It will look good. i like the way the blue pearl looks over white on the new Lexus. jambs in doors and hatch areas are easy and fenders and with a white car yoy van leave the enging compartment white and it'll look ok kinda like color change on black. Cheapest is keeping the same color and if you wanna make it look better and save money have some pearl flake mixed with the white base, cheaper than a 3 stage but not as nice. Also make sure you get the mix stickers off the cans so if you get any minor damage you have the mix amounts to match the paint and stay with the same brand. i recommend Dupont's Chromabase it's what I use. Good as PPG but cheaper. For clear coat use the Nason made by dupont, considered their lower brand but i can show you a new Vette Z06 and a 91 240 SX I painted with blk dupont base same as vette and nason clear. There the same clear in a different label. I was told this by someone who worked for dupont going to shops for warranty jobs when the paint failed or painter did. I hve done 63 split window vette's and TA's, ans Z28's with dupont paint and Nason clear and they look great. When it's just a bumper i use a 3rd party off brand speed clear that dries to buff in 2 hours at 70 degree's not good for overall jobs.
    Use Nason multi panel clear with fisheye and slow or medium activater depending on weather and add 10% reducer and you'll get less orange peel. most important is the wet sand and buff after.

White
    99 Z-28

So Ryan, you list alot of different scenarios and options. So when they spray pearl they spray a base white, then a pearl , and then clear? What is the difference between 3 stage and the other options you mentioned. I also want a black manta stripe but I dont want the black to look dull, can pearl be sprayed on black too? How would that look? Also would you recommend a flexing agaent in the bumpers to prevent cracking?

White
    1998 Trans Am

ok well they have the pearl like Lexus white basecoat/ blue pearl IS cars and then the Caddy white basecoat/ white and gold pearl flake mix then clearcoat. That is more expensive since it's an extra step and requires time/labor/ pearl midcoat paint.
    Or if you just want someshone on the white you can add any color pearl flake to the white basecoat. Checkout a Honda Civic in that nighthawk black color, when you get up close it has blue pearl and metallic in it. You can do the same with white and just add red or blue pearl in the basecoat so when you walk up it has some shine. Never seen anycolor pearl over a black manta stripe.
    if you want the manta glossy just have them clearcoat it. Some people either use stickers or flat black paint for the manta or even a semi gloss trim paint that's why they don't look as shiny.
    I reccomend a flex agaent but don't always use is when I'm doing a respray. I use it when I have to install a new bumpers but if I'm just dusting some basecoat over a bumper after fixing a sratch or some chips I don't always bother. Most of the time flex won't save your paint when you bump something.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you do it, look into diamond white tri-coat. I was thinking about it and it wouldn't be as bad going from arctic white.
    and like said above, 4k give or take depending on body, paint, labor, etc. etc.

White
    99 Z-28

My car isnt arctic white, it already has pearl in it I just dont know if its Caddy pearl or Lexus or just plane jane pearl flake. Think it is Caddy though cause it looks yellow kinda sometimes. I am really curious what Lexus IS looks like. Thanks for all the good input guys. Any other paint schemes are welcome.

black
    1995 transam

Thought I'd throw in, stay away from cheap paint jobs. They have to cut many corners like prep work, quality of materials. At todays prices just the paint supplies from a quality company will cost a minimum of $400 and that doesn't include colors like reds that can cost twice as much as other colors.

Thread Information