1966 Corvette Coupe

Need opinion on car plan

As some of you know i have been trying to figure out how to settle my car crisis for about a year now... (maybe more)... I have been through alot of iterations(Vipers, NXS's, T/A's, GTM), but i think i have a solution and i need your advise.

I can pick up a driver 65ish vette for around $40k. This will give me a good solid car to enjoy and call stage 1.

Stage 2 would be a complete chassis with full c5/c6 suspension, and lsX motor, nice wheels, brakes, and and a 6 speed... (prolly have around $60k in the car at this point)

Stage 3 would be a full all out 700 or so HP build with a drive train to support it... I would likely go with a twin screw super charger build...

I can pull this off because all i have to do is take the body off the old frame, make any repairs to it that i need and plop it down on the new frame...

Im guessing about $75k (maybe up to $85k) in the end...

Do you think it would be worth it? Are we talking an awesome ass car here or are we just talk a nice car... I really want something that i can keep forever and always be proud of... Going the classic route seems to be the only thing i can think of that will accomplish this... Oh and i figure it will take me about 2 to 3 years to get to stage 3...

-me

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Done right - I'd say this would be an awesome car. One that you'd see at a local show and talk about for a month afterwards. However, if done wrong, I could see it being an "ok" car. One that you'd say is good, but this or that should have been done different. I'd say it's a great idea with much potential. Just make sure to follow through and don't cut any corners and you'll be extremely satisfied when done.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

If i was going to be that serious about buying it id follow through with a full restoration. You could sell it for alot more and itd be worth more. If your going to do all that you might as well buy just a body and start from there. Otherwise your paying 40k for a body that will never ever be even close to worth what you paid for it again.

Inless your going to shove a 572 in it...... then..... thatd be a great car.

1966 Corvette Coupe

I know you are thinking "Why the fuck spend $40k on a car and then just totally redo it... Its a complete waste of money"... I too fought this battle in my head and this is buying a complete car won that battle...

MidYear vettes either cost about $15k for basket cases, $40k for "survivors", and $65k+ for recently restored... A survivor to me is the best bet for me because it gives me a car to drive for a few years that is still a nice car... it gives me most of the interior peices and brackets and wire routing (its nice to yank something out to see how it goes back together) and parts that if i dont use i can sell or parts that will allow me to go back to stock if i want to in 15 years... Most of the time the frame is rotten anyway so i figure i can use the sales of some of the original parts to off set some of the cost...

And a 572? prolly a LSx based 427... maybe an LSA... Who knows... I want a fuel injected...

Oh and on the point of price after i get done... I dont really care.... and restoring one would also not be worth it... i would still have way more cash in it than it would sell for... i know bid prices vary alot, but Barret Jackson has hammer some close to what i want to do for $100k+...

-me

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Something like this would be badass. http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...mod/index.html

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Something like this would be badass. http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...mod/index.html
    That's exactly the car that came to mind when i started reading this. I don't think you could get too close top this one with the cash the op is wanting to outlay. Maybe another 50k would get you there. But to be honest, that extra would have to go into body work and body mods. Performance wise, I could see the same result.

Silver
    2005 GTO

Dude, you shouldn't take apart a complete car. It will hold value only in it's original or restored state. If anything breaks of course, you put a better part in it's place, that's my approach.

Thread Information