Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by badfnz28
    You were shifting at 4200-4500 in a ls1 m6? THAT'S WHY YOU LOST. Race him again and shift at about 6000. You're not gonna hurt that thing unless you miss a gear pretty bad.
    Seriously! Why would you shift between 4200-4500? You just started tapping the HP in the LS1 at that point. Race him again.

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt
    that happens when you over rev, like missing a shift.
    If you miss a shift your rev limiter stops you from over revving your motor. The only way I have heard some one bending a push rod is if they are going threw the gears hard and accidently go into a lot lower gear, for instance 1st to 2nd, 2nd wanting to go to 3rd but accidently going to 1st again and letting out the clutch. If my math is correct and you take your 2nd gear to 6k rpm's and then go to 1st and let out the clutch it would drive your rpm's threw the roof at a pushrod bending 8,250 RPM!!!

LS0NE
    its pretty common knowledge to shift at or right before redline. im surprised at how many people shift early on this forum. in the s2000, you have to let the redline blink 2-3 times before shifting (9000 rpms). even though power drops off (at 8300 in the S2000), itll keep you in the powerband so you can keep pulling. thats why chevrolet made the rpms go up to 6...
    -Chris
    Last edited by LS0NE; 03-08-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

Those srt4's have good top end in the 4cyl arena. I should know.

Quote Originally Posted by woodymaro
    If you miss a shift your rev limiter stops you from over revving your motor. The only way I have heard some one bending a push rod is if they are going threw the gears hard and accidently go into a lot lower gear, for instance 1st to 2nd, 2nd wanting to go to 3rd but accidently going to 1st again and letting out the clutch. If my math is correct and you take your 2nd gear to 6k rpm's and then go to 1st and let out the clutch it would drive your rpm's threw the roof at a pushrod bending 8,250 RPM!!!
    hmm by your logic, even if you down shift you would still hit the rev limiter. Both instances would result in the same thing.

Over revving is exactly what you just posted.
    324hp/333tq

lee1rbc
    Actually, if You do drop it in the wrong gear a rev limiter cant help You.

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

Smile

hmm by your logic, even if you down shift you would still hit the rev limiter. Both instances would result in the same thing.

Over revving is exactly what you just posted.
    NO, actually they are totally different when you miss a shift and hit the rev limiter (not actually in a gear) the computer electronically cuts power to the motor. When you are racing and accidently put it into a lower gear and let off the clutch there is nothing there to limit your engine speed, therefore the speed of your car drives the engine to a pushrod bending 8,250 revolutions per minute. Do you understand what I am saying now?

lee1rbc
    To me it seems like a conspiracy. Probably drumned up by a bunch Honda vtec racers who said. "How can we beat those american muscle cars? OH, I know, well just start a campain were we tell everyone that pushrod motors can only rev up to 4,500rpms, after that they well start to fall apart!"

LS0NE
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1rbc
    To me it seems like a conspiracy. Probably drumned up by a bunch Honda vtec racers who said. "How can we beat those american muscle cars? OH, I know, well just start a campain were we tell everyone that pushrod motors can only rev up to 4,500rpms, after that they well start to fall apart!"
    what...?
    -Chris

lee1rbc
    OK, that wasn't nice of me.
    But seriously, I hear people all the time stereo typing the LS1 because its a pushrod V8, saying its a primitive motor.

LS0NE
    OK, that wasn't nice of me.
    But seriously, I hear people all the time stereo typing the LS1 because its a pushrod V8, saying its a primitive motor.
    thats funny because where i usually post (s2ki.com - s2000 forums) people know the potential of the LS1. pushrod or not, its a beast when you start modding them; hell even in stock trim its capable of low 13s, high 12s with the right driver.
    -Chris

NO, actually they are totally different when you miss a shift and hit the rev limiter (not actually in a gear) the computer electronically cuts power to the motor. When you are racing and accidently put it into a lower gear and let off the clutch there is nothing there to limit your engine speed, therefore the speed of your car drives the engine to a pushrod bending 8,250 revolutions per minute. Do you understand what I am saying now?
    The ECU that controls the rev limiter shouldnt see a different whether the car has missed a shift or is in the wrong gear. Going over the programmed RPM is over revving. Doesnt matter anyway you want to put it. The ECU should handle it whether you shifted into the wrong gear, held the gear to long or over revved by missing a gear.

If you held 2nd gear to long and bounced it off the rev limiter, the ECU would see no difference if driver went from 3rd to 2nd, its the same concept and the rev limiter should kick in.

lee1rbc
    The difference between over reving and dropping to the wrong gear is that when you go from second to first the trans forces Your rpms to over rev. The rev limiter will still kick in, but even if you shut off the car, it will still be forced by the trans to rev at a higher rpm.

The difference between over reving and dropping to the wrong gear is that when you go from second to first the trans forces Your rpms to over rev. The rev limiter will still kick in, but even if you shut off the car, it will still be forced by the trans to rev at a higher rpm.
    yep and no matter how it happens, its still over revving the engine.

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

yep and no matter how it happens, its still over revving the engine.
    YES AND THE DIFFERENCE IS ONE WILL START AND RUN PERFECT THE NEXT DAY(missing a shift) AND THE OTHER WILL HAVE A BENT PUSH ROD (dropping in the wrong gear)!!!!! I know they are both called over revving I understand this. Here is an experiment for you Mogs01gt, go buy an LS1 make sure it has good oil and pressure then let it warm up for 10 minutes, next pull it out of gear and mat the Throttle for 30 secs the motor will sit there and bounce off the rev limiter.( car will still run perfect). Experiment #2 get going 100 mph in your LS1 and SLAM it into 1st gear and quickly let out the clutch. Out come is an over revved motor w/ bent push rods. That is all I'm saying both over rev but one of them has a damaged motor. END OF STORY!!!

RED
    2000 WS6 TA

will it even go into first at 100mph? At that speed, slipping it into third will probably grenade it and introduce you to the weeds ta boot.

YES AND THE DIFFERENCE IS ONE WILL START AND RUN PERFECT THE NEXT DAY(missing a shift) AND THE OTHER WILL HAVE A BENT PUSH ROD (dropping in the wrong gear)!!!!! I know they are both called over revving I understand this. Here is an experiment for you Mogs01gt, go buy an LS1 make sure it has good oil and pressure then let it warm up for 10 minutes, next pull it out of gear and mat the Throttle for 30 secs the motor will sit there and bounce off the rev limiter.( car will still run perfect). Experiment #2 get going 100 mph in your LS1 and SLAM it into 1st gear and quickly let out the clutch. Out come is an over revved motor w/ bent push rods. That is all I'm saying both over rev but one of them has a damaged motor. END OF STORY!!!
    hmm sounds like the ls1 ecu doesnt work to well.

and I wouldnt want to bring an ls1 if I had it.

lee1rbc
    Im sorry mogs01gt, but the same thing would happen to Your car.

Try driving down the road and turn the key to the off position. If You are in neutrel the car will completely die. But if You are in gear the motor will still be turning rpm's. (Because the trans is forcing the motor to turn.)

In other words You can drive up to 100mph, cut the motor off, have a friend climb out the window and rip the ECU out, and then throw the car into first, the trans will still force the motor turn at the same rpms as the drivetrain.

NBM
    '00 Z28

hmm sounds like the ls1 ecu doesnt work to well.

and I wouldnt want to bring an ls1 if I had it.
    Are you joking, or are you actually being serious? I hope you're joking because I don't think I've ever met someone as dense as you're letting on to me.

By the way, my buddy with his S/C'd '01 Mustang GT dropped from 5th to 2nd on accident at 70 mph. He's lucky all he did was throw the serp belt and destroy his tensioner. Yes, bad things happen to Mustangs when people screw up too. A rev limiter wont help you on a bad downshift.

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60
    Are you joking, or are you actually being serious? I hope you're joking because I don't think I've ever met someone as dense as you're letting on to me.

By the way, my buddy with his S/C'd '01 Mustang GT dropped from 5th to 2nd on accident at 70 mph. He's lucky all he did was throw the serp belt and destroy his tensioner. Yes, bad things happen to Mustangs when people screw up too. A rev limiter wont help you on a bad downshift.
    yes I was joking there . I have never dont that, I pride myself in know how to shift properly.

But when I first bought the car, I missed a shift on my first day going into 3rd and it did bounce off the rev limiter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information