Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Nice car, I would love one of these.

Thanks. This is one that has been on the wish list for years.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I'll say the same thing I said about our Trans Am... right before I tore into it and started replacing stuff: I am going to keep this one stock.
    I've said this about more than a few cars I've owned through the years.

I even said it about the 98 I use as my DD. With 181,xxx on the clock I really wanted to keep it stock. Worked for 3 years so far.

BUT... I just couldn't turn down an MTI smooth lid for $30 though. It'll really clean up the look under the hood. Never did like the look of those resonators anyway. Here we go again. Break out the cutoff tool and the Dremel...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I've said this about more than a few cars I've owned through the years.

I even said it about the 98 I use as my DD. With 181,xxx on the clock I really wanted to keep it stock. Worked for 3 years so far.

BUT... I just couldn't turn down an MTI smooth lid for $30 though. It'll really clean up the look under the hood. Never did like the look of those resonators anyway. Here we go again. Break out the cutoff tool and the Dremel...

I think it is called an "irresistable impulse" - must... mod... car. The W-31 was going to stay completely stock too. At least until I dropped the engine off at BTR's and we decided to build a roller cammed stroker.

Hugger Orange
    '99 Hugger SS

I had an '87 Monte SS that I got for graduation. I really loved that car. It was white and I removed the stripes and left the SS emblems on the doors. I thought it really cleaned up the look.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Very nice! This is what Carlisle is great for

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Very nice! This is what Carlisle is great for

Carlisle is my vacation each year... Spring, GM and Fall. I just have a great time, meet nice people and score some good deals. The car was an added bonus this year. BTW: I'll be calling Pypes before the Fall show to order up the exhaust for our Cutlass so I can pick it up at the fairgrounds.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Carlisle is my vacation each year... Spring, GM and Fall. I just have a great time, meet nice people and score some good deals. The car was an added bonus this year. BTW: I'll be calling Pypes before the Fall show to order up the exhaust for our Cutlass so I can pick it up at the fairgrounds.
    Its my paid vacation too!

Sounds good! Call a couple of weeks before the show. These kits sell out fast. It just goes to show you that a lot of guys are still running these cheap go fast cars at the strips.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Started back on the Monte project this afternoon. Scraped all the old undercoating out of the rear passenger wheel well using a propane torch and a paint stick. Actually went faster with the paint stick than the plastic scraper I used on the driver side. I also cleaned up the center caps, installed the new decals on them, and then wire wheeled and painted half the lug nuts.

After that, I started flushing the brake system with new fluid. The back bleeders are actually recessed into a piece on the backing plate. There is no way to get a wrench on the bleeders to crack them with my Mity-Vac hooked up. I ended up loosening the bleeders and then popping my hose on. I'll just have to do a good old fashioned "pump and hold bleed" to finish the job. Unless someone has a better idea... are there longer bleeders that would fit? I've never tried a speed bleeder either.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Started back on the Monte project this afternoon. Scraped all the old undercoating out of the rear passenger wheel well using a propane torch and a paint stick. Actually went faster with the paint stick than the plastic scraper I used on the driver side. I also cleaned up the center caps, installed the new decals on them, and then wire wheeled and painted half the lug nuts.

After that, I started flushing the brake system with new fluid. The back bleeders are actually recessed into a piece on the backing plate. There is no way to get a wrench on the bleeders to crack them with my Mity-Vac hooked up. I ended up loosening the bleeders and then popping my hose on. I'll just have to do a good old fashioned "pump and hold bleed" to finish the job. Unless someone has a better idea... are there longer bleeders that would fit? I've never tried a speed bleeder either.

Click for full size
    Honestly Jeff, for all the more those wheel cylinders cost I'd just replace them with ones you can work with.. I'm amazed you even got those old bleeders to open without snapping the head right off.. Just my .02..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Honestly Jeff, for all the more those wheel cylinders cost I'd just replace them with ones you can work with.. I'm amazed you even got those old bleeders to open without snapping the head right off.. Just my .02..
    I'd also just go ahead and do and axle line job too while you're under there.. @ Least up to the splitter..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

All in time. Right now, I am just giving the car a once over and will be doing a "restore as you drive" by taking it one section at a time. I haven't tackled the rear driver side bleeder yet, so I may end up snapping one.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

All in time. Right now, I am just giving the car a once over and will be doing a "restore as you drive" by taking it one section at a time. I haven't tackled the rear driver side bleeder yet, so I may end up snapping one.
    I gotcha.. That would be my luck.. I'd be @ the parts store soon enough..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Worked on it a bit more this evening and was able to loosen the rear driver side bleeder without too much difficulty. I have them both vacuum bled now and just need to finish it off with some assistance before moving to the front of the car.

Ray Charles blue

There is an aero version over in Westfield somehwere Jeff. I always have like it!

There is a nice white 80s SS Monte in Westfield as well with a 400ci. People talk about how fast it is but I highly doubt it......lol

So when do you plan to get another toy at Carlisle?

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    There is an aero version over in Westfield somehwere Jeff. I always have like it!

There is a nice white 80s SS Monte in Westfield as well with a 400ci. People talk about how fast it is but I highly doubt it......lol

if it is an 86 only 200 were made it would be a white hard top.
    i have an 87 areo coupe.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    if it is an 86 only 200 were made it would be a white hard top.
    i have an 87 areo coupe.

The white one is a regular SS. I must say its in fantastic condition. The guy lives at home with mommy and he is about 50 years old.....lol

The aero coupe I think is black or that dark rose color. It was about 100 yards off the road whenever I saw it. Never saw it in town, only when I was cruising the back roads. I noticed it but it always was playing 2nd fiddle to what I had sitting in the passenger seat. lol

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post

I am out of space. No more cars until I consolidate my 3 Buicks into 1.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

I also bought a SS a couple of years ago. Original owner, 40K miles with the stock Eagle GT's still on the car! I had to move to MS from MD and sold the car to my parents. They ended up putting an LT1/4L60E out of a 97 Z28. Swapped the 3.73 gears for some 3.23 gears out of a TA because its more of a cruiser.

All 85+ SS had 3.73 gears. Most were open, as was mine. Only the 83 & 84 SS came with 3.42 gears but also had a TH350. The rear is the same crappy rear as the 4th gen, 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 rear. It won't hold the power. 8 1/2 rear out of a turbo Regal or 442 would be an easy swap and hold a ton of power. Olds rear already has 3.73 gears, Buick rear has 3.42 gears.

Good luck with the project!
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I also bought a SS a couple of years ago. Original owner, 40K miles with the stock Eagle GT's still on the car! I had to move to MS from MD and sold the car to my parents. They ended up putting an LT1/4L60E out of a 97 Z28. Swapped the 3.73 gears for some 3.23 gears out of a TA because its more of a cruiser.

All 85+ SS had 3.73 gears. Most were open, as was mine. Only the 83 & 84 SS came with 3.42 gears but also had a TH350. The rear is the same crappy rear as the 4th gen, 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 rear. It won't hold the power. 8 1/2 rear out of a turbo Regal or 442 would be an easy swap and hold a ton of power. Olds rear already has 3.73 gears, Buick rear has 3.42 gears.

Good luck with the project!

Thanks! She lays down some nice rubber so the gears definitely work well with the meager 305. Heading back to the garage tonight to play with the front brakes.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stripped the front brakes and rotors off this evening. I'm going to replace the brake hoses and pads and flush out all the old fluid. Since it is 25 years old, I am also going to clean and re-pack the front bearings and replace the wheel seals. So far, everything is coming apart nicely with no unnecessary carnage. A little tired tonight, so I had a "duh" moment removing the calipers. I unbolted the pins, but the top one would only come out so far before hitting the frame. Took me a minute for it to click -- turn the wheels. Now there's plenty of room for the pin to come out. Sometimes I am glad there is no one in my garage watching me...

The outer wheel bearings felt funny to me when I removed them. After wiping them off, I realized they have the plastic cages for the rollers. Haven't run into these in quite a while.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information