Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY RUSSELL View Post
    Your Y pipe is to big 3" it will vibrate rattle and drive you crazy will rub the ground all the time. Kooks is top notch for headers but the slp system fits better

The driver side Y rides tight to the underbody and is slightly flattened. As our car is not lowered, I have all kinds of ground clearance so that is not a concern. Whether it "vibrates, rattles and drives me crazy" remains to be seen. I really can't comprehend how it could with how solidly it is mounted and the heavy construction. Did you have a Kooks Y on your car at one time?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Curious as to how far you end up sliding the Y onto the collectors. I have mine backed off quite a bit from where I started as it gave me the best clearance.
    made some good progress here. Still need a few things and I'll probably make some adjustments at work on a hoist, but it fit pretty good like this. Sorry pictures aren't too great.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks like you have your driver side Y slid back further on the collector, that's what I ended up doing to get the best fit. How is your brake and fuel line clearance in the tunnel?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah the brake lines were touching the Y pipe. I just pushed them up out of the way for now. I can get my fingers in between them and the pipe so that may be enough clearance but I'd like a little more if possible. I may raise the plastic clip up like you did.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Everything looks good -- I didn't have much time to check out your pics at the office today so I looked at them again just now. I see you went with the ORY -- I chickened out and did cats to at least keep our car semi-legal. What do you have in the back for a muffler?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I have a feeling the catted y might sound a little nicer then the open pipes on a DD but I haven't started my up yet.
    Its a Borla 3" Adjustable. It came with the car when I bought it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Just got my car finished today. With manifolds, stock catted y pipe and the Borla 3" adjustable, it sounded awesome. Now I have Kooks 1 7/8" headers, Kooks ORY, and the Borla 3" adjustable and it is raspy/cackles around 2000 to 2500 rpm. Other than that the start up and cruise sounds exactly the same as with manifolds, which is good. No drone and not too loud.
    I'm gonna try to locate or make some plates for the Adjustable Borla and see if I can tone it down a bit.

How does your's sound Jeff??

silver
    2000 formula

with the stock manifolds.....i took the plate out of my borla.....now with the headers.....to cut back on rasp and drone.....i put it back in.....what cat back will give me the deep V8 tone that i luv so much ????

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Just got my car finished today. With manifolds, stock catted y pipe and the Borla 3" adjustable, it sounded awesome. Now I have Kooks 1 7/8" headers, Kooks ORY, and the Borla 3" adjustable and it is raspy/cackles around 2000 to 2500 rpm. Other than that the start up and cruise sounds exactly the same as with manifolds, which is good. No drone and not too loud.
    I'm gonna try to locate or make some plates for the Adjustable Borla and see if I can tone it down a bit.

How does your's sound Jeff??

The 4 times I have had it running -- awesome! We still have our winter storage insurance on it, so until the crap clears off the roads and coverage is reinstated she'll be resting up in the garage. My brother is fabbing a custom piece of stainless to install the cutout. I just did not care at all for the one that came with my DMH. Will post some pics of that hopefully later this week.

Glad to hear yours is all back together. I imagine your ORY has a bit more bark than my catted one!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information