Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    Excellent win! Wish you had that last run on tape! haha
    b4 we ran it I asked him if he wanted me to tape it and he said " what's the point it's way to dark to see anything" ...it was like 8pm. I'm pretty sure he was just saving himself from a little embarrassment by the guys from svt forums lol

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Thats a good excuse haha

2001 Cobra

Oh come one Calvin, since when is 10:30 pm 8 pm?
    Spring Break, you get the "camera" guy this time. Lets see how detrimental 150 lbs is in a race that close.haha you guys have some awesome smilies.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

you svt whore!
    pshh irrelevant irrelevant 8/1030 same darkness when my cam's got nightvision :P and yes I was severely disappointed by the lack of smiley's on ur forum lol

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

If your car is an auto and it was hitting the rev limiter that is not good. Change your tranny fluid to synthetic if you havent already.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    If your car is an auto and it was hitting the rev limiter that is not good. Change your tranny fluid to synthetic if you havent already.
    I changed my tranny fluid about 2k miles ago so I don't think that's it, but I will check it again. I put the car in 1st when we launched and I didn't throw it into drive until it hit 5000rpms. I think I didn't give the tranny enough time to shift or put too much pressure on it because when it hit the limiter a couple times and it wouldn't shift I took my foot completely off the gas and then it shifted, after which I proceeded to WOT which is when you see me catch up to him after the camera drops. Is this something I should worry about/look into?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Don't go putting synthetic in there most aftermarket performance shops for our trannys say not to anyway.
    Next time you race after you bury your foot put into second immediately it will shift when it needs to then.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    I changed my tranny fluid about 2k miles ago so I don't think that's it, but I will check it again. I put the car in 1st when we launched and I didn't throw it into drive until it hit 5000rpms. I think I didn't give the tranny enough time to shift or put too much pressure on it because when it hit the limiter a couple times and it wouldn't shift I took my foot completely off the gas and then it shifted, after which I proceeded to WOT which is when you see me catch up to him after the camera drops. Is this something I should worry about/look into?
    Leave the car in drive when you are going WOT. If it does it often, you may be losing line pressure at the 1-2 shift. Usually if the transmission is going out third is the gear that goes first so you may not have anything to worry about. There is no reason to be shifting manually in an auto. The car should hold to 6K at WOT unless you have a tune that makes it different.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Don't go putting synthetic in there most aftermarket performance shops for our trannys say not to anyway.
    Next time you race after you bury your foot put into second immediately it will shift when it needs to then.
    yeh that's what I did on the second run. I floored it in first then immediately threw it into drive. the camera guy said the reason he accidentally dropped the camera was because when my car hit red-line a few times it was so loud it scared the shit out of him, hell it scared the shit out me too def. not making that mistake again

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

yeh that's what I did on the second run. I floored it in first then immediately threw it into drive. the camera guy said the reason he accidentally dropped the camera was because when my car hit red-line a few times it was so loud it scared the shit out of him, hell it scared the shit out me too def. not making that mistake again
    Didn't hit the limiter the second time right?
    That's what I said, then couple weeks back a supposedly stock ss was beating my bolt-on z I was so shocked I forgot to put her into second-it happens and then you get pushrods

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

My 98 WS6 wouldn't shift to 2nd or 3rd @WOT when the transmission was on it's final legs, I put synthetic in it until I could afford a new tranny and the problem was solved for a little while. It could have just needed a fluid change though so I dont know if it was just having new fluid that helped. The guy at the speed shop in town said synthetic is the way to go.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    My 98 WS6 wouldn't shift to 2nd or 3rd @WOT when the transmission was on it's final legs, I put synthetic in it until I could afford a new tranny and the problem was solved for a little while. It could have just needed a fluid change though so I dont know if it was just having new fluid that helped. The guy at the speed shop in town said synthetic is the way to go.
    trannies, diffs, and motors are built in with certain tolerances generally synthetic is to slippery for our clutch packs. Some will argue to the moon but I would only go with what a performance shop that specializes in 4l60e's. Also hard to argue what gm spent 100's of millions on to use in there cars only for some brand to say there blend is better when they have no where near the financial backing.
    For laughs if the tranny is toast put a capfull of dot brake fluid in there, she'll be good and tight for a while-then it will really be gone

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

trannies, diffs, and motors are built in with certain tolerances generally synthetic is to slippery for our clutch packs. Some will argue to the moon but I would only go with what a performance shop that specializes in 4l60e's. Also hard to argue what gm spent 100's of millions on to use in there cars only for some brand to say there blend is better when they have no where near the financial backing.
    For laughs if the tranny is toast put a capfull of dot brake fluid in there, she'll be good and tight for a while-then it will really be gone
    LOL yeah some used car dealership here was doing that to some of his cars

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

There is absolutely ZERO reason to put it in first on the launch, and then go to D right after you floor it. Might make you feel like you're doing something good, but all you're really doing is increasing the chance of screwing something up.

Just put the thing in "D" and go. This is why they call it an "Automatic" transmission. Let the guys with sticks worry about moving the gear lever.

And go somewhere DESERTED when you race.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    There is absolutely ZERO reason to put it in first on the launch, and then go to D right after you floor it. Might make you feel like you're doing something good, but all you're really doing is increasing the chance of screwing something up.

Just put the thing in "D" and go. This is why they call it an "Automatic" transmission. Let the guys with sticks worry about moving the gear lever.

And go somewhere DESERTED when you race.
    see here's the thing about leaving in D, when you floor it in D going 30 it kinda feels like the car goes from 3rd to 2nd instead of 1st. Or I am wrong and it actually does go into first?

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Sorry, I was thinking from a dead stop....ie....racing.

But anyway, it could be going down into 2nd or 1st - don't know. However, dropping from 3rd (or OD) to 1st at too high a speed is going to break something sooner or later - and sooner usually comes before later.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Sorry, I was thinking from a dead stop....ie....racing.

But anyway, it could be going down into 2nd or 1st - don't know. However, dropping from 3rd (or OD) to 1st at too high a speed is going to break something sooner or later - and sooner usually comes before later.
    oh yeh from a dead stop I would def. just leave it in D. I also don't think the 4l60e allows you to go into certain gears at certain speeds. ie: if i'm cruising @ 40mph and I decide to throw the tranny into 1st the computer doesn't allow it and automatically goes into the next safest gear, is this case second. I think after 35mph the car wont let you go into 1st only 2nd. then again there wouldn't be any point to going into 1st and that speed anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

At 30 the car is more likely to drop to second, 25 or 20 mph is what you should go for. Problem is though you are more than likely going to lose time waiting for the downshift( I usually hit the gas on the second honk) and blowing the tires off and then have it up shift on you if you let out to much. Let out some tire psi

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

( I usually hit the gas on the second honk) and blowing the tires off and then have it up shift on you if you let out to much. Let out some tire psi
    i used to run on 20-25psi because of that. but ever since I've gotten drag radials I never lose traction unless i'm doing a burnout, best 300 bucks I've spent on my car

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

i used to run on 20-25psi because of that. but ever since I've gotten drag radials I never lose traction unless i'm doing a burnout, best 300 bucks I've spent on my car
    Well then leave it in drive
    Question you ever 1/4 mile it? I put a friends autox tires on mine and the tires were to much for my stock stall.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information